How do i use the recovery disks?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by racerprod, Jan 10, 2009.

1. racerprod

racerprod

I'm trying to revert my installation to the factory because I'm going to have the wifi repaired (the wifi suddenly does not receive signal when i moved to a new home, but that's another story). When I bought my Aspire One, it has 2 disks with it - labelled Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (actually a DVD) but can't see any exe or setup file on it. Just a bunch of seemingly image files. The other one is labelled System CD Rev. 2. This one boots up on my other computer, but can't use it on the Aspire, having it has no cd reader.

Can somebody be so kind to let me know how to use either of these discs to restore the factory installation? Or if you can refer me to a forum post. Thanks so much.

racerprod, Jan 10, 2009
  2. racerprod

tmn72tx

If you haven't formatted the hard drive, you shouldn't need the CDs/DVDs. You should be able to boot the laptop, and at the BIOS splash screen, press Alt + F10. This will take you to the recovery menu that is a hidden partition on the Windows XP Acer Aspire One.

If you want to use the CDs/DVDs, you'll need an external USB CD/DVD drive. You can find them at many stores, like Walmart.

You can create bootable USB keys, but you would have to do a Google search for that.

tmn72tx, Jan 10, 2009
  3. racerprod

racerprod

Has anybody tried using Windows recovery disks from USB? I don't want to spend any more money on buying an external cd rom just to use the recovery disks. Thanks in advance for the info.

racerprod, Jan 11, 2009
  4. racerprod

spaceholiday

I've put Windows on a USB and then to my AA1, and if it weren't for my having the wrong product key it would have worked perfectly. Others in the thread had no issues with it.

I used the following instructions:
    viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8151

You'll need another XP computer with a CD drive to make the USB key. Your Microsoft Windows XP Home DVD should do the trick; when I put mine in the CD drive it also looks like a bunch of folders with nary an .exe or setup file in sight.

However, you may want to do some more digging around the forums, as I remember someone asking about the two different recovery disks; I just can't find the thread now.

spaceholiday, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question