How do I get Norton antivirus to stop telling me it has expired?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by rootle, Aug 22, 2016.

1. rootle

rootle

I think it came with my laptop as a 30 day free trial. Since it has ended it has constantly sent me popups telling me that it is not running. How do I get those popups to stop?

rootle, Aug 22, 2016
  2. rootle

Corzhens

When the Symantec anti-virus expired in our home desktop, it has been issuing the same message once in a while but not on a regular basis. It is still working though but not updates are available since the license had expired. And the only recourse is to install another anti-virus and to save on money, we downloaded free anti-viruses. It's okay with the free anti-viruses at first but later on there are issues like the updating every time you boot - that's a lot of time wasted if you had booted this morning and it had updated then you boot again in the afternoon and it will update again.

Corzhens, Aug 22, 2016
  3. rootle

Aree Wongwanlee

When software like that expires and it keeps nagging me about paying for a renewal, I remove it. I use IObit Uninstaller which makes a very clean uninstall. It even cleans up all the leftover files and deletes all the no-longer-used folders. Then the nagging is stopped permanently.

Actually, I hate software which nags me. If I mistakenly installs one that does, I uninstall it immediately. There are always alternatives.

For anti-virus, I use Bitdefender, the free version, which is good enough for me. So far so good. No virus infection yet. You should give it a try. Bitdefender works very quietly in the background. It doesn't even tell you that it's working.

Aree Wongwanlee, Aug 22, 2016
  4. rootle

hades_leae

All you have to do is uninstall it. That was the only method for me, and it worked like magic. What happened when I tried to uninstall it was that Norton popped up and offered it to me for $19,99, and I was almost tempted because I'd rather pay that then $99 dollars for the full year.

That showed me how desperate they are, and that the prices are so inflated.

hades_leae, Aug 22, 2016
  5. rootle

SirJoe

There is no way around it, you are going to have to uninstall it in order not to receive the messages anymore. I would do it as quickly as possible seeing as your computer isn't fully protected right now and you have to install another antivirus/firewall.

SirJoe, Aug 29, 2016
  6. rootle

gwood

Uninstalling is the only way I guess. The whole point in nagging the user with popups is to make the user buy it. So, it wont stop doing it. Just remove it and install a new one. You can try a free one or buy one that is cheaper and better. Norton is not a very good AV in my opinion.

gwood, Aug 29, 2016
  7. rootle

Aree Wongwanlee

Yes, I have seen this tactic being used before. Perhaps the next time I decide to buy a certain software, I might just start by beginning the deletion process. Who knows, maybe I will be given a last-minute special offer. Has anyone ever tried this way to get a better deal?

Aree Wongwanlee, Aug 30, 2016
Ask a Question