hard drive or motherboard?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by 1 confused kitten, Sep 17, 2013.

1. 1 confused kitten

1 confused kitten

hi everyone....my acer netbook(AO 725-0687) has decided to get goofy on me and hide/lose it's OS! it silly beast tells me it has no OS plus it seems to have lost something that lets it read from a usb device. i've done everything i know how to do and i cant figure it out! i cant get it to do anything till i get some usb driver for it! any help on this one would be like great!

also i have a toshiba satellite A205-S5000 from a friend thats doing the same thing!

neither one reads from anything! i'm convinced it has to be something i'm overlooking here but darned if i can figure it out!.......help!!!

is this a motherboard problem or could it be i have 2 hard drives that are no good?

P.S. the toshiba and the acer both were setup for dual boot, both had windows 7 64bit and ubuntu 13.04...the acer came with windows 8 and it's gone to!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    1 confused kitten, Sep 17, 2013
  2. 1 confused kitten

Ian Administrator

What a strange problem!

When you say it's "lost something that lets it read from a usb device" - where does this happen? At boot time when trying to install an OS from a USB drive?

I'd probably try booting from the Windows install disc and run the startup repair tool to see if it's something like incorrect boot records. If that works, you can fix dual boot to Linux once Windows is back up and running.

Ian, Sep 17, 2013
Ask a Question