hard drive failure?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by svere, Aug 15, 2015.

1. svere

svere

I've noticed my Vaio has been running slowly lately. I found some system corruption using SFC SCAN and repaired it.

Then I tested the HD using Seatools. The first time it failed the Short Self Test. I tried again, running the SMART check and then the Short Self Test again and it passed both.

Would one failure indicate the drive is dying or could it have been a fluke?

I am going to run a few more tests to try and get a better idea.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if someone could recommend a low priced replacement HDD compatible with my Vaio?

Model number is: VGNFW590F3B.

Thanks.

svere, Aug 15, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  2. svere

something back

The first thing you need to do is to obtain a hard drive clone software program
    before your hard drive gives up, “if it is faulty”

If you are running a windows machine then this free program will help you.

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

Replacing the hard drive is very very simple on your machine, just turn it over,
    with the battery facing away from you,remove the battery, now in the bottom left hand side you
    will see a flap with one screw, undo that screw and remove the small panel.

The hard drive is held in with three screws. After undoing the screws slowly
    pull the hard drive backwards and out.

Undo the drive from the caddy and replace with a new hard drive in reverse order.

something back, Aug 15, 2015
    nytegeek, IcyBC and Diane Lane like this.
  3. svere

Diane Lane

@something back Are all laptops that easy to replace the hard drives on? I'm having a lot of issues with mine, and don't think it's the hard drive, but would like to know, just in case. I'm going to work on it hopefully this weekend, and will definitely back up the hard drive, after reading this, just to be safe.

Diane Lane, Aug 15, 2015
  4. svere

something back

Yes, most laptops have an easy to replace hard drive. let the forum know what problems you are having.

Most problems however are software related ,AND NOT HARDWARE RELATED

5. svere

something back

Either for replacing,updating to a larger drive or using an old hard drive as a back up drive.

You may wish to obtain a USB To SATA/IDE "22 Pin" , 2.5" Hard Drive HDD SSD Adapter Converter Cable External.

You can then use this to connect your new hard drive to your laptop, to allow you to clone to.

As a bonus you can use an old hard drive as a back up device.

You can obtain one for under £2 or $3

THE EBAY pages chosen are “used as an example”, shop around

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-t...r-Converter-/251929863836?hash=item3aa830a69c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HD-HDD-...ATA-2-5-Hot-/141745201964?hash=item2100ac232c

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  6. svere

svere

Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies. I ran a number of additional tests, including the longer tests. And now it is passing them all. Not sure what to think? Laptop still seems very slow (I recently installed fresh Windows 7 so don't think its system related) which I experienced before with a failing HDD, but in that case the drive was clearly damaged and registering as such on tests.

Thanks for that adapter cable info - seems like a worthwhile investment.

Maybe I will get a new drive just to forestall any problem that might be brewing here, and also to upgrade to something larger.

Could anybody recommend a good deal on an HDD compatible with my computer?

here is one that caught my eye:

Seagate Laptop Thin 500 GB 7200RPM SATA 6 GB/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Hard Disk Drive (ST500LM021)

can anyone confirm if this is compatible with my laptop, or recommend a better alternative?

Thanks again

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    svere, Aug 18, 2015
  7. svere

something back

something back, Aug 18, 2015
  8. svere

IcyBC

I have been looked for direction on how to remove the hard drive off my sister's old Sony Vaio laptop. It is a brand new hard drive that the tech put in trying to fix her laptop, and now I know how! Thank you @something back

IcyBC, Sep 25, 2015
  9. svere

LGNPanda

What I did when I recieved my hard drive failure, I got my OS Install Disk and I had to reformat my hard drive with that operating system as it wouldnt let me do anything like loading the OS and what not. This worked for me and hopefully it does for you. Good luck!

LGNPanda, Sep 28, 2015
Ask a Question