Hacking Your Webcam?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HappyKoi, Oct 14, 2016.

1. HappyKoi

HappyKoi

I've heard stories about this, but I was wondering what other people have experienced. There is a story going around (and has been for some time) that people can use your wireless internet connection to hack into your computer, then hack into your webcam and spy on you while your computer is on. This has gone so far that I know some friends who keep a strip of black tape over their webcam lens to keep people from spying on them. I'm not too worried, because I honestly don't do anything exciting enough to warrant someone spying on me. Is there any truth to this rumor? If so, what can someone do to protect themselves from this kind of thing? It sounds a little far-fetched to me, but I would like to hear what others think.

HappyKoi, Oct 14, 2016
  2. HappyKoi

hades_leae

It's possible, and manufacturers are very aware of it, that's why there is good security protocols put in place. I'm not saying they can't be hacked, but these businesses don't want stories like that to be leaked to the public because people will boycott all their products.

I'd just remove the camera from the laptop, I don't use it anyway, ever.

hades_leae, Oct 15, 2016
  3. HappyKoi

Corzhens

I think that is an absurd story that an intruder can use your own computer to spy on you with the help of your own webcam. Hacking is a serious issue and I believe that there are good hackers in our midst but the hacking is confined to the hacked account. To access the webcam, there should be a connection like communicating using Facebook or messenger or skype. Sorry but I am somehow confused. The gist of this post of mine is that the claim of hacking the webcam is far fetched.

Corzhens, Oct 15, 2016
  4. HappyKoi

Sefie

A friend told me about it a while ago, but I am not worried at all about it, because right after I am done working with the laptop I just close the laptop and that's it ;) I do know people can easily hack any web cam if they really want to, but I'm not the kind of person who walks naked in front of a laptop ;)

Sefie, Oct 15, 2016
Ask a Question