Got "left button stuck" syndrome? An experiment:

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by hrpatton, Nov 18, 2008.

1. hrpatton

FrankS

Bought a D150 yesterday and within a few hours of continuous operation it started to develop SLBS (sticky left button syndrome). External mouse worked great if the touchpad was disabled.

I followed the recommendations above, removed the keyboard (3 clips at the top, behind/under the F2, F8 and Pause Key, then 2 more at either side, bend the keyboard slightly and slide it out), removed the ribbon cable from the touchpad plugging in to the motherboard, cleaned up the contact area and reseated it – problem solved.

Some of my older Dell Latitudes have a similar issue, after a while and when it gets hot, a not properly inserted ribbon cable is causing all kinds of issue, rows of keys not working, mouse behaving weird, reseating the cable always helps.

Regards

Frank

FrankS, Apr 25, 2009
  2. hrpatton

otrab

work for me 2

thank

otrab, Apr 27, 2009
  3. hrpatton

fantasmicmickey

I tried the open up keyboard and clean contacts/reseat ribbon cable solution and it didn't work for me. I believe my problem is heat related since the right button is fine when the acer is cold but after 1-2 hour use, I get the stuck right touchpad button problem again. I ended up just mapping the right button to nothing and mapping a tap zone for it. I've had my aspireone for 8 months and I'm not too confident on reliability.

fantasmicmickey, May 15, 2009
  4. hrpatton

malmjako

I just recently got this problem, with right button. In order to be able to continue using the computer with Ubuntu Linux 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope), I added the following script to the startup programs in Gnome:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 9 4 5 6 7 8 3" 
    xinput set-int-prop 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad' 276 8 2, 9, 0, 0, 1, 2, 9 
    First line: The script (should be made executable first) will be executed with bash.
    Line two: Change physical right mouse button to map to button9 and ninth button to map to button3 (interpreted as right mouse button by software). This way, clicking right button ends up issuing a button9 signal.
    Line three: Change lower-right-corner tap to map to physical ninth button (which is now mapped to button3, or right mouse button). This way, tapping in the lower right corner issues a button3 signal.

It seems it must be executed before the right mouse button is registered as being pressed, which is why I added it to the Gnome startup programs.

I believe it should work with any Linux distribution, the critical part possibly being xinput, which I think was a rather recent addition to Ubuntu.

I also have only recently come up with this solution, so I haven't tested for any longer period, and my problems with the right mouse button were not constant...

malmjako, May 24, 2009
  5. hrpatton

<Vlad>

After second try it DID WORK for me! This time I prepared special pins cleaner:
    [attachment=0:27qdflzu]vodka-grease.jpg[/attachment:27qdflzu]

watched this AAO disassembling video (starting from 4:00)

cleaned the pins with vodka:
    [attachment=1:27qdflzu]touchpad-pins.jpg[/attachment:27qdflzu]

profit!

<Vlad>, May 26, 2009
  6. hrpatton

lobsterdave

Thanks, this fixed the issue for me too!!

lobsterdave, Sep 7, 2009
  7. hrpatton

pinchez

Got "left button stuck" syndrome tonight, thank god for this thread :)

Took keyboard off, cleaned cable, reconected and it's working perfectly again.

I'm a happy bunny!

pinchez, Sep 22, 2009
  8. hrpatton

1timeposter

This worked perfectly for me, thanks! I took off the keyboard (following instructions in the Youtube video linked to above- though you don't need to take out any screws) and found that the ribbon for the track pad was bent over and creased. I disconnected it, straightened it out the best I could and carefully reconnected it and the keyboard. No more button stick!

Thanks again.

1timeposter, Jul 23, 2010
Ask a Question