Google Will Now Warn You About Websites With Misleading 'Download' Buttons

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Google has long been trying to curtail shady websites from appearing on its search results, and it also protects users across different Web browsers from visiting websites that host scam ads. On Wednesday, the Mountain View-based company announced the next step in its ongoing battle against fraudulent websites. Google says that it is flagging ads that trick users into downloading malicious or unwanted programs. If a website hosts such ads, users will see a warning when visiting the website.

Google has been flagging embedded content (such as ads) that pretends to act or look and feel like a trusted entity or trick users into doing something silly for quite some time now. The company wrote that it will now also block sites that show deceptive ads to trick users into downloading tools that they do not need.

Many websites show misleading ads such as promotions for tools that would supposedly help speed up a computer or a mobile device, or make a visitor believe that they need to download a third-party application to access some content. In reality, these ads only aim to spread malicious file and steal banking and other personal information from users.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/ne...sites-with-misleading-download-buttons-798333

Sefie, Feb 4, 2016
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

Oh good! I have come across this kind of deceptive download when I am looking for something. This is how they will kill all the laptop if we are not careful. So many times, I made mistakes by not reading it carefully or make sure that it is legitimate.

Bravo Google!

IcyBC, Feb 4, 2016
  3. Sefie

Sefie

Yes, I have made that kind of mistake in the past as well, and ended up hurting my poor laptop so badly :( I'm glad Google is finally going to do something about this. It was about time if you ask me ;)

Sefie, Feb 7, 2016
  4. Sefie

StaplerAshtray

God knows how I hate those download buttons. It happens almost every time I go to one of those file sharing websites. It's pretty annoying how you just want a simple download link to a file and you find three or four different big download buttons. Luckily they're quite easy to get around if you use some common sense and caution. Most of the times, there's loads of download buttons but the real link to your file is the smallest, hidden link between all that junk. If you're not sure about the safety of the button, just hover over it with your mouse and check the url. If it sends you to some shady website you can't make sense out of, it's pretty safe to assume it's the fake link. Personally, I'm glad Google will do something about it.

StaplerAshtray, Feb 11, 2016
  5. Sefie

sparkster

This is a good move. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this, especially when looking for rare content. I've also noticed a lot of websites that pretend to offer free files seem to do this too. I hope this move will also apply to those Adsense ads which say "Download" and look like buttons which feature on some websites. Ads like that are deceptive and should not be allowed.

sparkster, Feb 12, 2016
Ask a Question