Get the Linux desktop you always wanted in 10 easy steps!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rjm, Sep 28, 2008.

1. rjm

toymom

ok, I will give it a try,thanks.

toymom, Nov 6, 2008
  2. rjm

FZC

Hey all,
    Will it make my One faster allso? Or maybe run better or something? Or just appearance?
    Thanks

FZC, Nov 6, 2008
  3. rjm

Spyder

Thanks for the awesome walkthrough! I love having a proper desktop.

Just a minor annoyance however.

Is there a way to make the icon text background transparent? I know right where the setting is in windows, but no idea in Linpus or even if you can.

If this has been covered feel free to call be a non searching newb, but do that after you post a link to where it's at.

Spyder, Nov 6, 2008
  4. rjm

optimistique1

Please help this does not seem to work for me. The desktop still remains the same and I cannot get rid of that annoying acer search bar.

Please can someone tell me in simple terms exactly what I need to do to get the customized desktop.

I have only been using Linux for 2 days....

Many thanks

Garry

optimistique1, Nov 6, 2008
  5. rjm

rjm

I don't think really possible to spell it out any more clearly than I already have. You shouldn't be attempting it on zero Linux knowledge though. What I suggest is you restore the system and Google around for some Linux guides that explain the basics of navigating around the file system from the terminal. Spend a week or so just looking around and getting familiar with the commands, after which the procedure should start to make some sense.

rjm, Nov 7, 2008
  6. rjm

optimistique1

Got it all up and running now and wow it's a whole lot better.
    Thanks for your help
    Garry :lol:

optimistique1, Nov 8, 2008
  7. rjm

Jack Vermicelli

How would I go about making the right-click menu the previous dropdown for applications/system/settings/etc., rather than the menu to create a desktop icon that I see now after following these steps?

*edit* - Scratch that. Playing around with the options reverted it, for no obvious reason.

Jack Vermicelli, Nov 9, 2008
  8. rjm

tetrode27

I did this a while ago and thanks to all for the advice...I do like my desktop now.

However, I'd like to get rid of some things from the Xfce Menu and the menu editor only seems to let you change a few things...or maybe I don't know how to use it!

I've deleted all the game demos...but I can't see a way to get rid of them from the menu....can anyone help?

Ken...

tetrode27, Nov 11, 2008
  9. rjm

gaztaag

Worked perfectly first time! Thanks, I've only been using Linux for a week now but your tutorial was straight forward and easy!

gaztaag, Nov 11, 2008
  10. rjm

Guest Guest

Hey :)

I followd this guide, and when i rebooted my acer wouldnt mount anything, i tried with my sd expansion, and that wouldnt mount, and neither my external hard drive :\

Is there a soloution for this, casue i realy like how it is now :)

Guest, Nov 11, 2008
  11. rjm

kapinouwi

12. rjm

nattyem

Big thanks to everyone on this thread.

Complete linux noob, AA1 arrived 2 days ago and have it all sorted (for now!) in a few hours, even partially understood what I was doing. Thanks for the great explanations :)

Installed new apps, even got them working, changed the desktop, managed to add new apps to menu...guess this is just the start tho :lol:

[​IMG]

nattyem, Nov 13, 2008
  13. rjm

ernestoo

Yes! It works! But i think with a howto like this there is no other possibility. :D
    So thank you!
    Here is how my desktop looks like now.
    I found the wallpaper somewhere in here. So thanks to you too!
    Cheers

ernestoo, Nov 16, 2008
  14. rjm

Jtw000

Ok, got it working and thanks for keeping it idiot-proof! The only thing is now my desktop is blank. How do I now add the icons I want to launch? Please keep it simple. Cheers.

Jtw000, Nov 16, 2008
  15. rjm

jhedrotten

after having my aspire one desktop for more than month now, i finally get tired of the functional but boring acer desktop.

i decided to try this and it worked fine without ANY problems. meaning i still automatically connect to my WLAN and SDHC cards automatically mounts. so this is perfect, if some people are having problems, it might be due to a typo error, so be careful.

i just have a minor question though. i used to have the system monitor when i press ctrl + alt + del [pretty much like windows] but now that keyboard shortcut have been replaced by the Lock function. Anyone know how to make it the system monitor again, or at least tell me what is the command for the system monitor? it's a gnome one if im not mistaken.

here's my screenshot:

[​IMG]

jhedrotten, Nov 17, 2008
  16. rjm

jhedrotten

just open file manager and on the address bar, type in /usr/share/applications

then hit enter

from there you will see the installed apps in your AAO, the only thing that you need to do is drag and drop them to your desktop. that's pretty much it. :D

jhedrotten, Nov 17, 2008
  17. rjm

jhedrotten

great i know had a work around for my system monitor problem. all i did was to add a laucher on the pannel with the command being gnome-system-monitor and the icon being utilities-system-monitor. :D

my desktop now looks like this:

[​IMG]

jhedrotten, Nov 17, 2008
  18. rjm

jhedrotten

Re: How to: get the Linpus XFCE desktop to stay after reboot

weird because when i plug in an sdhc/mmc/ms pro duo on the card reader, a desktop icon for the mounted drive is added.

also i can right click on the desktop to add launcher and it is working.

why, it's almost the same as the standard xfce desktop!:D

jhedrotten, Nov 17, 2008
  19. rjm

Jack Vermicelli

Is there any way to make desktop icon locations static between sessions?

Jack Vermicelli, Nov 17, 2008
  20. rjm

toymom

I am having several difficulties, too numerous to mention. can I get the other desktop back somehow and will it still be xfce?

toymom, Nov 17, 2008
Ask a Question