Get the Linux desktop you always wanted in 10 easy steps!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rjm, Sep 28, 2008.

1. rjm

rjm

You could, but you can just attach the image to your post using the Upload Attachment option at the bottom, select the file, upload it, and then click the option to display the image inline. I think the only limit is the file be 100k or less, but to be considerate of people reading from their A1, I like to resize the images to something smaller than 1024x600 before uploading them.

rjm, Oct 14, 2008
  2. rjm

capactus

thnx, I didn't know that :)

Here's mine. The only problem I'm still having is that I can't get the panel at the top of my screen. It always seems to mess up after reboot. This was also the case with default Linpus

[​IMG]

capactus, Oct 14, 2008
  3. rjm

Zammo

Looking forward to having a go at some of this. :D

Zammo, Oct 17, 2008
  4. rjm

Pegasus

I've found a way to do this.http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5446.

Long winded explanation of a one line change, but I was pleased with myself.

Pegasus, Oct 18, 2008
  5. rjm

ZexCo

Uhm... this is great and all, but, my Home button on my keyboard stopped going to the desktop. Is there any fix for this?

ZexCo, Oct 18, 2008
  6. rjm

Pegasus

I've messed around with my settings again. I have;

Run
    Code:
    xfce-setting-show
    and under Window Manager - Keyboard, add a shortcut to 'Show desktop'. I used the home key + M (comes up as Super + m) . I chose this as I'm used to it as minimise windows under Windows.

It won't work yet due to the mappings in XHkeys - so change these. Run
    Code:
    sudo mousepad ~/.XHkeys
    and edit the line 'xhkeys.codeline22: 115;0;A#;/usr/bin/superhome.sh'. You could just add a #
    Code:
    #xhkeys.codeline22:	115;0;A#;/usr/bin/superhome.sh
    However, because I edited superhome.sh to bring up the menu I decided to map this function to the right hand menu key (between Alt Gr & Ctrl), which is keyref 117. so that line in XHkeys now says
    Code:
    xhkeys.codeline22:	117;0;A#;/usr/bin/superhome.sh

My home key +m minimises and restores all windows and my menu key brings up the menu :D

Pegasus, Oct 18, 2008
  7. rjm

kapinouwi

xfce4-autostart-editor from a terminal maybe

kapinouwi, Oct 18, 2008
  8. rjm

Pegasus

Maybe I'm just really tired. It all seems to be working now!? I haven't changed anything since my last post.

I've deleted the part from my last post referring to problems with persistance.

Pegasus, Oct 19, 2008
  9. rjm

ZexCo

Thanks, Pegasus. Although I'd rather try as best as I can to figure out how to make my Home key work properly again before I go and do that, because I really don't feel like having an absolutely useless key on my keyboard.

ZexCo, Oct 19, 2008
  10. rjm

lunatichiatus

everything worked except when I went to add thee menu bar and drag it over. It wouldn't let me right click on the menu bar to drag it. In fact, all right clicks that are on the status bar do not work. What gives?

lunatichiatus, Oct 19, 2008
  11. rjm

greeneyedsoandso

[​IMG]
    thanks for the tutorial. my desktop with background by vladstudio.

greeneyedsoandso, Oct 20, 2008
  12. rjm

zsno

Is there any way to restore the xfce "start" menu back to its default? I deleted all of the links to the applications and cannot figure out how to get them back on the menu?

zsno, Oct 22, 2008
  13. rjm

Guest Guest

nice background green-eye. thanks for the tip on vladstudio. Has anyone tried any of his clocks?
    -s.

Guest, Oct 22, 2008
  14. rjm

bouli

Hi, thanks for this how to. Have one small wee problem. I followed the instructions, got my funky desktop but I have lost my power/battery icon on the bottom bar...any ideas how to get it back?
    Opps never mind found it!
    Thanks again !

bouli, Oct 24, 2008
  15. rjm

adobe123

Many thanks RJM - This has been most useful to get the AA1 to a sensible desktop

adobe123, Oct 25, 2008
  16. rjm

jice

Thanks for help, I succeeded.
    Looks W... but it isn't W... pure Linux.
    All works fine.

jice, Oct 30, 2008
  17. rjm

jsg

Hi

About transparency - I would like to stick with the current look but want to be able to see the desktop picture - make the 4 ugly boxes transparent. I can access the compositor tab and enable compositing. There are 5 sliders available none of which sound like they should control the desktop and they don't impact the desktop although you can do spooky stuff with the other windows.

Anybody got a tip for me on this one?

Thanks

jsg, Nov 2, 2008
  18. rjm

toymom

Step 4 question

when I put the first line in the terminal "mv ~/.config/xfce4 ~/.config/xfce4.old" I press enter and I get this message "mv: cannot stat `/home/user/.config/xfce4': No such file or directory"

what am I doing wrong?

toymom, Nov 4, 2008
  19. rjm

toymom

help, I am done to #4 as stated above and now none of my icons on my desktop work. help! please! need step by step, as I am not computer savy.

toymom, Nov 4, 2008
  20. rjm

rjm

"mv: cannot stat `/home/user/.config/xfce4': No such file or directory"

The path is correct, suggesting that you typed the command correctly. Most likely you typed the command twice. The first time it worked, moving the directory, the second time gave an error because the directory no longer exists at its original location.

Just go ahead reboot and proceed with step 6 to get the xfce desktop up and running. Remember alt-F2 and typing terminal gets you to the terminal. From there you can do anything you need, even if the desktop and menu icons are missing. Try typing "firefox" or "skype" or "thunar" from the terminal window, you'll soon see what I mean.

However, there is no need to loiter at step 4, just go ahead and complete steps 6 and 7 and you'll have a much more intuitive user interface.

P.S. For everyone, it's worth printing the instructions or having them displayed on another computer while you go through the procedure to avoid losing them during reboots.

rjm, Nov 6, 2008
Ask a Question