Get the Linux desktop you always wanted in 10 easy steps!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rjm, Sep 28, 2008.

1. rjm

RobbLeon

hey everyone, just done this mod, love it, the desktop is alot easier to work with, evertthing works for me appart from the hard drive recocnition, previous, as soon as the drive was connected, i could see it in my documents, now the only way i can see it, is by changing the desktop back ground, and selecting it from the drop down. It does not show in thunar. Anyone know how to get it back? Thanks. Rob :)

RobbLeon, Oct 4, 2008
  2. rjm

Ace_Rimmer

Just tried this with my Sharp LCD TV. Works great! Now I no longer need to lug my "big" laptop over to watch downloaded videos on the TV.

Thanks!!!

:D

Ace_Rimmer, Oct 5, 2008
  3. rjm

rjm

My bad, the file you create is supposed to be called xfdesktoprc not desktoprc. That was a typo that crept in when I re-wrote the guide. I have fixed section 8. now, also adding the "cat" command to create the file explicitly before running mousepad.

For the people with the USB mounting problems, from the xfce settings manager (xfce-setting-show) choose "file manager preferences" -> "advanced" tab. Make sure "enable volume management" is ticked, and click configure to confirm that all the removable storage automount options are checked.

The only other thing I can think of is did you do a live update ? After I restored my system, I updated from Acer to the latest via live update before modifying the desktop.

rjm, Oct 5, 2008
  4. rjm

bobynux

Well kapinouwi and rjm : thank you both !

bobynux, Oct 5, 2008
  5. rjm

rjm

Regarding the USB mounting issue,

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1266
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2751

Apparently adding a trash icon (possibly other file-related functions) to the taskbar with "xfce4-panal -a" stops Thunar from properly automounting external drives. While the reason for this is not completely clear the fix is simple enough: just remove the Trash icon from the taskbar by running "xfce4-panel -a" and dragging the icon back to the menu list.

Other fun facts about the trash: From Thunar (the name of the file manager) click on the Go menu and click on the Trash icon. That's the fastest way to find it and see the contents. To avoid sending large files to the trash, you can permanently delete by selecting the file in Thunar and pressing "Shift-Del" rather than "Del".

rjm, Oct 5, 2008
  6. rjm

elf69

Help!

This worked great for about 6 reboots then it all goes pear shaped!

Then I get an xfce mouse on desktop with all my icons gone!
    I cannot run any program or open terminal but office works!

all setting have changed as the menus all look very different!
    This happen last time but though it was me... but this is second time now!

Will have to restore and start all over....
    I am considering forgetting this mod and sticking with the Acer desktop as crap as it may be at least it stays!

elf69, Oct 7, 2008
  7. rjm

rjm

The black&blue mouse desktop is what you see when xfce-mcs-manager fails to load. Unfortunately we don't presently know exactly how Linpus loads this package.

It could be really simple, that xfce desktop manager is not enabled. Redo step 6 first to check.

If that doesn't work, before restoring your system go back and redo the following steps of the guide:

Step 1., 2., 4., 5., and 6.

with the one modification of, in step 4, renaming to the extension .old2 instead of .old.

Before you start of course you have to get to the terminal. Typing Alt-F2 then "terminal" almost always works but I've managed to get into situations when it did not. Its nice therefore to have the xfce menu in the taskbar to provide fallback access to all your programs as well as the terminal. Follow the procedure in step 7. (too late if you can't get to the terminal via alt-F2, merely suggest here for future reference)

If you get it working without restoring the system, please let us know what fixed it. If Linpus can under certain circumstances revert back the edits we make in this mod, its important to learn which files are being altered by the system.

rjm, Oct 8, 2008
  8. rjm

mika

Hello, i need your help please, i have effectued all your manipulation to make my desktop, it's good and i'm happy to see a real desktop, but there is a big problem, my port usb and card are over :s, I cannot use my extension memory, slot memory and anything of my ports usb, I ask your help quickly please. Thanks.

(ps : sorry for my english i'm french and it's not easy to write for me^^)

mika, Oct 8, 2008
  9. rjm

rjm

Mika,

This is a problem encountered by several people. If you read through this thread you'll see I've made several suggestions.

- check to see if automounting options are enabled in file manager
    - check you don't have the trash icon on the taskbar

If they are enabled, and you haven't modified the taskbar icons, I'm not sure what the problem could be. Its difficult for me to help because my machine works fine, the USB memory is identified correctly.

rjm, Oct 8, 2008
  10. rjm

Tybor

Tybor, Oct 8, 2008
  11. rjm

mika

Hi, i just wanna say I LOVE YOU !! :D :D Thanks for your quick help and your efficacity now i have a real computer lol. Have a good day !
    Mika

mika, Oct 8, 2008
  12. rjm

elf69

please explain how I do this if terminal dont work?!
    I gave up and restored and have given up on the desktop mod!
    did it twice failed twice!
    I can still work with the acer desktop and right click menu

elf69, Oct 9, 2008
  13. rjm

Aaron101

Your guide worked perfectly for me! :D It's nice to have a normal desktop, less restricted etc. Alot less impersonal now and the fact that when I download something from the internet, it's right there on the desktop for me to see and use!

Only problem I have is that the 'home button' doesn't work anymore, is there anyway to change that?

Aaron101, Oct 9, 2008
  14. rjm

alexabcd

how I can make a trasparent menu?
    I like the big Icons, but I want to see a little bit of the background!

alexabcd, Oct 9, 2008
  15. rjm

neomaximus2k

I did this, followed the instructions and it worked a treat but I have a problem. I use an SDHC card (2Gb) which is meant to expand the internal ssd harddrive, which under standard acer desktop it does (shoes as 10Gb) however after doing this tutorial my drive now only shows as the default 6Gb.

The only way I can get the extra space is by switching Thunar into advanced mode, it then sees the card I then put it back into basic mode for it to expand the drive size.

How on earth can I get the AAO to recognize the extra space at bootup like it does under standard acer desktop?

I'll post some screenshots as soon as the AAO boots up

neomaximus2k, Oct 9, 2008
  16. rjm

Ace_Rimmer

Check this out, should take care of your problem:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4931

:geek:

Ace_Rimmer, Oct 9, 2008
  17. rjm

neomaximus2k

thanks Ace_Rimmer, just trying it now.....

rebooting.....

lol for one second there i thought it hadn't worked, I was too fast lol thanks for that. I can now get back to working on the dreamweaver tutorial.

Once I have done that I plan to take this tutorial and create an "Installation Script" for it, plus it will install some backgrounds and also remove a lot of crap (i.e. demo games, language files) that just are not used.

:)

@alex_abcd
    you can get transparent menus, inactive windows and much more by using the window manager tweaks under the xfce-setting-show
    you might not be able to see the option ( I cant on mine) but hide your taskbar (if you have one) and it is the bottom left icon, just under sound i think click on compositor tab and tick enable display compositing.

Now just adjust the sliders to your taste!

neomaximus2k, Oct 9, 2008
  18. rjm

philubuntu

I used this script and I am now VERY HAPPY with my AA1....KDE looks great and is so flexible. I now have a top panel and kooldock with all my launcher icons.

One question....how much of the Acer XFCE can I remove without destroying what I have now? I am guessing that the Acer sytem is still running in the background, should I still try to keep up with the Live Updates?

Sorry, that was 2 questions.

Thanks again for a great script...hated the XFCE rat thing!!

Might have to change my nick as I am now happy with Linpus (thanks to KDE).

philubuntu, Oct 10, 2008
  19. rjm

neomaximus2k

I am half way through writing a shell script to remove all the cluter acer put on the system but I'm unsure if it will work with kde,

any chance of a screenshot as well??

neomaximus2k, Oct 10, 2008
  20. rjm

encaputxat

oooh :p runs well, but i have a problem wiht user "user", all empty, and I can't eddit menu or options like konqueror,...
    But if i loged with root all wors fine, whats the difference?
    I used since today the xfce mod and compiz with compiz fusion. (now i select in window manager kwin)

encaputxat, Oct 10, 2008
Ask a Question