Gentle reminder for windows XP users

Discussion in 'Windows' started by something back, Mar 5, 2015.

1. something back

something back

Gentle reminder for windows XP users

Microsoft's well publicised article states that in the first year only it will be offering a free upgrade to it's new windows 10 platform for existing windows 7,8 users.

Now may be the right time to be considering purchasing a cheap windows 7 copy before they
    become harder to obtain.

Although Microsoft has stated that it will be offering a Windows 10 copy even to it's illegal users, the illegal users
    version of Windows 10 will "NOT RECEIVE SUPPORT INCLUDING UPDATES"

I appreciate this constitutes a contradiction in terms !

NOTE: “Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise are not versions that will be eligible for a free upgrade”.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    something back, Mar 5, 2015
  2. something back

Sefie

Sad news! I've seen what win 10 looks like and to be honest I still prefer windows 7 :) I wonder how long before windows 7 also becomes an OS windows no longer supports? I'd really like to have windows 7 on this laptop. Specially now I read those stingy bastards won't be offering us a free update to win 10.

Sefie, May 24, 2015
  3. something back

HornedDemoN

Haha, I didn't realize Microsoft was offering a free Win10 copy even for illegal users... Fascinating.

HornedDemoN, Jun 3, 2015
  4. something back

j1ckh441

They are! Even though it might sound silly and even quite strange, there is a reason behind it. If you noticed, the original poster said that they will not be getting updates. What Microsoft it wants to do is that they want to reduce the rate of piracy (I think) so that they get a better name and that they can get everyone onto a unified platform. They also get more testers for Windows 10, so everyone benefits from this.

j1ckh441, Jun 21, 2015
  5. something back

Nestone50

Before putting out money to buy a Windows 7 OS to update an xp computer so as to get a free download of Windows 10, be sure your hardware can run it! For me, I wouldn't consider putting any money into a system running XP. For example, I have an old computer that started life with XP and now running Windows 7 that isn't upgradable to either Windows 8.1 or 10. The CPU, a single core AMD doesn't have the necessary architecture even though it is 2.3 gigs. You can go to the Windows website and download a small program that will tell you if your hardware can do the job.
    Sure, I really like Windows 7, but time marches on. I needed a new laptop and they are currently so inexpensive, I went ahead and bought one. I was concerned that Windows 10 will result in all Windows computers going up in price if the OS proves popular. The laptop I bought has Windows 8.1. I figured I'd only have to deal with it for a couple months before the free upgrade to 10 becomes available. I did away with the tile start page by downloading the free Classic Shell program and set that to appear like Windows 7. The laptop now boots directly to a Windows 7 like desktop with a "Start" button where it has always been. A few things are different, but easy enough to figure out. Given that you get a faster boot and the computer OS is more secure, I find the tradeoffs are well worth it.

Nestone50, Jun 21, 2015
  6. something back

LilAnn

I'm going to have to share this information with a few people I know. It'll make them SO happy! If I can ever get 7 to load onto one of my computers I'll have to look into that.

LilAnn, Jun 28, 2015
  7. something back

something back

Good YOU KNOW YOU CAN!!

something back, Jun 28, 2015
Ask a Question