Gaming/Video Making Laptop £500 limit

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Petewarrior, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Petewarrior

Petewarrior

I want to get a laptop for my son for christmas. It is for gaming and making youtube videos using a catch card. He is mostly into making the youtube videos and playing minecraft so these are his main needs but will probably branch out into more serious gaming.

I havn't got a clue what to look for so some help would be much appreciated.

Petewarrior, Nov 3, 2014
  2. Petewarrior

Koemul

If you want to buy a laptop for gaming, you need to prioritize the graphics card. So just find a laptop with a good graphics card and you are set. The processor is also very important (especially for Minecraft), but virtually every laptop with a good graphics card has also a good processor, so you don't need to worry about that.

If you need help to tell graphics cards apart, you can find a handy list on notebookcheck.net. Any class 1 and 2 cards will get the job done.

Here is a list of laptops with good graphics chips

Finally, I think it's best to involve your son in the selection process. He might want to prioritize other aspects as well (screen size/mobility/battery life/design/...). Buying a 5 kilo gaming laptop will do wonders for performance, but it's pretty bad if your son wants to create Youtube videos in the train/plane/park/library.

Koemul, Nov 14, 2014
Ask a Question