freezes during windows reinstal HELP!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by wpilgrim, Aug 23, 2009.

1. wpilgrim

wpilgrim

My wifes aao froze the other day during start up. After a long long time she eventually powered it down manually. Unfortunately at that point it wouldn't power up gave errors and when hitting f2 and looking at the bios it had random characters when identifying hardware parts, thus it looked as if there were errors in the bios. I went a head and upgraded the bios through acers website via usb install and tried formating (fat32) and reinstalling a clean copy of windows back on the lappie. now it starts the install process but stops at different points, just after formating, just after checking c drive, while transplanting files onto the ssd for installation of windows, but it never gets past the blue windows xp setup. Please help. I have worked on this all night and am pretty frazzeled so if my post is lacking good communications skills, please forgive me.

my set up is this:
    acer aspire one, 8gb ssd, came stock with linpus lite, installed windows xp ran that for a year, recently around a month ago installed a new stick of 1 gb ram bringing ram upto 1.5 gb. I ran memtest to make sure it wasn't a memory problem. It didn't find any errors. I am wondering if the motherboard is gone, the ssd is gone or something else entirely.

i was thinking of upgrading the ssd to an hdd anyway so if that was the problem it wouldn't be terrible. otherwise I am not going to be happy about buying her another one of these lappies and might want to switch to another brand.

wpilgrim, Aug 23, 2009
  2. wpilgrim

wpilgrim

Also just tried a clean install on linpus linux and it also won't work and upon next boot the bios is not recognizing the hdd or ssd. i then did tried a linpus boot from CD. The OS pulled up just fine. I am guessing that this is pointing me more towards a bad SSD???? as booting from the CD I will be using the hardware on the computer minus the SSD.

Does this logic make sense. any help will be much appreciated.

wpilgrim, Aug 23, 2009
Ask a Question