Error 39 When trying to make recovery USB

Discussion in 'Linux' started by discokungen, Aug 22, 2008.

1. discokungen

discokungen

I tried to make a USB Recovery stick.
    I tried 2 diffrent 2 gb usb sticks
    Before it supposed to start copying files to the USB it sais: '
    linpus Error 39
    Contact Acer support

I really need a recovery usb because my NetworkManager got uninstalled when i used the acer updater (It freezed so i needed to reboot, and then it was gone)

anyone with similar experience?
    Help please :s ?

Sorry for my bad english

Emil

discokungen, Aug 22, 2008
  2. discokungen

dragonstears

I had 'error 39' several times too. The program did start to install the files on the usb on one occasion, it almost finished and then failed. I tried the same stick and recovery dvd on another machine and it worked perfectly, all I can suggest is you try to make the usb recovery stick on another machine...

Hope that helps.

dragonstears, Aug 24, 2008
  3. discokungen

danthegoodman

I had the same issue, and it ended up erasing the partition table on one of my hard disks :evil:

So I got inside of my tower and unplugged one of my hard disks and then did tried it. No more error 39! (And no more Windows XP either. Now I'm running Ubuntu on my desktop.

danthegoodman, Aug 26, 2008
  4. discokungen

hclholt

Hi I had the same message on my home PC and just before giving up on the recovery USB fob idea, I tried a different machine. In fact I used a Dell laptop which I am presuming has less hardware for the temporary operating system to deal with and so much less chance for a conflict. My home PC has two DVD drives, two EIDE drives, a floppy and two Sata drives in a raid mirror and countless USB devices connected. I guess I shouldn't be surprised it didn't work.

Cheers

hclholt, Aug 28, 2008
  5. discokungen

michaelg

So I did! Acers f***ing restore DVD demaged my partition table twice!
    I use TrueCrypt on my PC (volume, not container), so all the data was gone! Just needed FOUR hours to restore it and I miss a whole month.
    I hate ACER! :evil:

Michael

michaelg, Aug 28, 2008
  6. discokungen

SammyF70

Same here. 500GB drive, 2 Partitions, one of which (NTFS) contained Oblivion+30GB of mods and all of my STEAM games, which I'll now have to redownload, and the otehr one (ext3) the Project I was currently working on (along with other stuff).
    The funny thing is : the error39 thing comes fromt the fact that the recovery CD doesn't actually erase the partitions on the USB stick. What it does though, is that it has a funky timer, which, after a certain time, starts the CD->HD recovery on its own by first erasing the partition table on the first HD it finds ... no matter whether the hardware actually corresponds to what it was designed for.

ACER really [expletive of your choice here, and then do that to the power of two] up completely on that one. And of course nobody you can really complain to.

SammyF70, Aug 29, 2008
  7. discokungen

nekura90

If the Acer Aspire One recovery program deleted your partitions and with them all your data (it happened to me too, i was so sad for a while because i had lost all the pictures i had taken and programs i had written). THERE IS HOPE i downloaded paragon partition manager to reformat the drive back to ntfs and saw an "Undelete partition" option on the side bar. Pressed it and what do you know, i saw my old partition on the list, clicked restore and voila i had all my files back.One of the happiest moments of my life and also made me realize that it is all important to back up all your important stuff. Hope my post helped some of you who lost everything because of the horribly designed recovery program. :D

nekura90, Sep 1, 2008
  8. discokungen

Darryl

I had to make a recovery usb a few days ago. Some guys at a local shop tried and got error 39. I was told that linux doesn't like ntfs and to use a system that uses FAT32. A local computer retailer eventually did it for me and didn't even ask to see the receipt! good luck :cool:

Darryl, Sep 1, 2008
  9. discokungen

boogie

The recovery DVD wiped the partition table of my PC's second hard drive - Acer ought to have their bollox kicked off for this.

Anyhow, I downloaded the demo of 'paragon partition manager' and it found the lost partition and demanded to be bought before it would restore it. So did the next shareware prog I tried.

This worked like a charm (and more importantly, freely):

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

However, still no recovery USB due to our new friend Error 39. Got the raw image and tried loading to my 2GB USB stick but there wasn't enough room on it (!?). Its on another thread, but one thing to note is that you can run the needed commands from your Linpus OS if its in a state to do so.

B

boogie, Sep 1, 2008
  10. discokungen

Tavel

the file is like 1.98gb or something, so it won't fit on standard 2gb drives which are usually 1.8gb. It's pretty lame...I'm speculating that could even be the cause of "error 39"...not sure though. I threw the recovery DVD in the garbage long ago.

you can make the recovery flash drive from a Linux Live CD (Ubuntu most likely). That's my recomended method. It's less frustrating, more steps but with no chance of damaging your other computers...and it works.

1. Download the recovery image from this site and copy it to a 4gb flash drive (just move the file over, nothing fancy).

2. Download the Ubuntu Live CD image and burn it to a CD (you can do this from windows).

3. Reboot to the Ubuntu Live CD (select "try Ubuntu without changes to my system"). When it's loaded, insert the flash drive and copy the image file to the desktop. Then open the terminal (Applications>accesories>terminal) and type the commands:

Code:
    sudo su -
    zcat /home/ubuntu/Desktop/aa1_usb_recovery_image.gz > /dev/sdb
    it should pause for a while as it makes a bootable flash drive out of the image. You probably typed it incorrectly if it spits out an error, try again. That's it.

Now...getting the flash drive back to the original state when you're done is the really tricky part, haha.

Tavel, Sep 2, 2008
  11. discokungen

endgame

endgame, Sep 2, 2008
  12. discokungen

jss42

Thanks! That saved me a lot of hunting. Stupid CD did the same to me.

jss42, Sep 5, 2008
  13. discokungen

hmraao

Not wishing to cast aspersions, I feel, nevertheless, bound to point out to the unwary, that
    although this solution to the "Acer's RecoveryDVD trashes my secondary harddrive" problem may well have been offered in good faith and without malicious intent, there is no way of knowing so for certain. The MD5 checksum tells you nothing about whether the image you are downloading is bona fide. It may well be. But you're just going to have to take it on trust. It would be better to employ a method that used the original Acer RecoveryDVD ISO image, for which a variety of AAO owners could provide a MD5 checksum to verify against, independently.

ADDENDUM: If you use the Acer ISO image in, for example, the VMware Player Generic LiveCD appliance, it will effectively isolate it from any auxilliary harddrives in your system, and thus avoid the risk of corrupting them altogether. It would appear that "not a lot of people know that." viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3080

hmraao, Sep 6, 2008
  14. discokungen

bobcat

i had to use paragon as well, pretty easy albeit scarey. it's been a few years since my last heart-stopping reminder to back up. still no recovery stick created though. i'm going to a store, buying an external dvd reader, doing it from the acer, then returning the drive, then making a recovery stick from the acer like i should've in the first place. then i'll go back to trying to get on a wpa enterprise network... what started this whole mess in the first place. maybe by then there will be an acer update for it...

bobcat, Sep 12, 2008
  15. discokungen

Parker

That partition recovery tool is an absolute life saver. BOTH my drives got their partition tables wiped. I had to do a format and reinstall windows on the one, but I didn't want to lose the data on the other (backup drive of 500 GIGS), and that saved me. Thanks a lot!

Parker, Sep 13, 2008
  16. discokungen

SammyF70

SammyF70, Sep 13, 2008
  17. discokungen

michaelo88

Like the rest of you I'm getting this problem too. What a day of ups and downs. Last night I ordered a new motherboard and Vista, so started the day by backing files up getting ready for a fresh install. After realising that I could reinstate grub and have my ubuntu partition completely intact with no need to reinstall that after the Vista installation I stopped.

Then came Error 39

Now I can't get into anything. I can only boot into a live disc such as knoppix or the installation disk for Hardy Heron. My only reason for getting vista with the new motherboard was Warhammer online being released tomorrow and it will be a few weeks before its operational through wine, and now I have no way of getting into my XP partition.

So after messing around trying to reinstall grub (presuming that was the issue) and using the super grub boot disk I was at a loss and turned to the forum. Sure I tried Test Disk, but it fails at the "./configure" stage of tarball installation. Am I going about that wrong?

I just hope my Ubuntu and media partitions are intact so if all else fails it will still be there after the vista install.

UPDATE: managed to use super grub boot to get into XP and I'm currently running the windows version of test disk. Seems it was my slave drive that was affected.

...media partition is recovered, ubuntu is inaccessible. So I have an operable system with the majority of my music at least. Lost a lot of videos, music and other files though. Thank you Acer.

michaelo88, Sep 17, 2008
  18. discokungen

ckoller

Hi There!

USING THE RECOVERY DVD CAN DEFINITELY DESTROY DATA OF YOUR PC!!!

I booted the Recovery DVD which came with my new A150L to create an USB
    Recovery media. The GUI tool wasn't able to detect my PS/2 mouse, so there is no way
    to select the "->" button... well, s***. After using some USB mouse, I was able to continue.

I was using an UMS-capable (and also bootable) MP3 Player to be used as recovery media.
    The USB device was shown correctly (2GB). But this recovery thing just gave me Error 39
    and ended up in a black screen.

After a reboot, I booted my host system but the PARTITION TABLE OF MY SECOND
    HARDDISK WAS KILLED! (/dev/hdb to be precise). Now, 300GB of data are at risk, if I cannot
    reconstruct the partition table. This f**** sucks!

To Acer: I have bought and sold several of your products during the last years, but I
    have never ever had such a f****** bad experience with your product!
    I hope to be able to get my data back of my harddisk... otherwise, I will kick the
    Aspire One once and forever out of my window!

Again, a warning to all users:
    DO NOT USE THE RECOVERY DVD IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN A HARDDISK
    IN YOUR RECOVERY HOST SYSTEM!!! THE ACER RECOVERY DVD CAN DAMAGE
    YOUR DATA!!!

ckoller, Sep 20, 2008
  19. discokungen

Grim Squeaker

Testdisk, as mentioned above, might be a lifesaver here.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 21, 2008
  20. discokungen

rbil

The safest way to make a USB recovery is to make sure that the hard drives in the computer you're using are isolated from the process. This can be done by uplugging them OR running the procedure within a virtual machine, like VMWare.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 22, 2008
Ask a Question