eRecovery Management?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by dukeofurl01, Jun 17, 2009.

1. dukeofurl01

dukeofurl01

I just got this 150 recently, and the App that comes bundled called eRecovery Management makes recovery discs for you, the source being a hidden partition on the hard disk. It would seem that the eRecovery Management app only allows you to make the discs if you have a USB CD drive attached. I do not own a USB CD drive. But I have a DVD burner in my desktop computer, I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to copy the information to another computer, and burn the CDs on there.

Thanks.

dukeofurl01, Jun 17, 2009
  2. dukeofurl01

donec

I don't know where it is but I feel certian that someone has posted about doing it over a network. you may find it if you search for something like backing up via network. However I would suggest you just go to Wal Mart and buy an external USB CD/DVD burner and maybe after you try it you wont like it and can return it. You can get one for about $70.00.

donec, Jun 17, 2009
  3. dukeofurl01

nedlyj

For the AspireOne series, if you simply call Acer Customer Support they will send you a copy of the recovery disc(s) for your model for free. I have just requested them for my AOD250 and they were very nice about sending them at no charge.

nedlyj, Jun 18, 2009
  4. dukeofurl01

nedlyj

FYI (followup) - I just received my disks today from Acer for my D250. 3 disks in total: one OS disc and two System Recovery disks. Ordered them June 17 and received today June 23. Acer was very nice about it and sent them for free.

nedlyj, Jun 23, 2009
  5. dukeofurl01

SenorClean

I might have to contact support about getting these discs...

I did, however, manage to create ISOs of the recovery discs on my AAO without a dvd burner though.

I used VirtualCD (trial will do!) http://www.virtualcd-online.com/ to create a 'blank' iso - which I then let the acer software 'burn'. It was a bit tricky, erecovery would stall at 99% - and I would have to manually unmount/mount the image so that the verify could happen.

The result of this was images of the three discs in VirtualCD format (not ideal). So from here, I mounted them in VirtualCD, then used IMGBurn to 'create iso from disc'.

Phew! A little long winded, but it works.

EDIT: I just contacted Acer (Australia) about having discs sent to me. This was their response:
    Not really the answer I was looking for - I don't really plan on keeping the recovery partition! At least I have the ISOs for the discs if need be. I might just make a ghost image of my main partition before I start playing around with other operating systems etc.

SenorClean, Jun 24, 2009
  6. dukeofurl01

nedlyj

Hmmm... maybe Acer is nicer in the US :D

But I wouldn't accept their answer. The point of the recovery disks isn't necessarily to restore to the existing hard drive, it's to have on hand in case of a hard drive failure where you need to restore the system to a new hard drive.

I'd tell your Acer support center that if their answer is correct, then there's no reason for them to have provided the utility to create restore discs in the first place - which they obviously believe there is a reason for. So the fact that they gave you a utility on a machine that is non-functional due to the machine's limitation (no cd drive) should obligate them to send you copies of the disks.

Anyway, didn't need to do that here, but I'd be a bit upset if that was the answer I had received. -N

nedlyj, Jun 25, 2009
  7. dukeofurl01

donec

SenorClean, try telling them that your backup is not working. It would be cheaper for them to give you the disk than to have the system replaced by a warranty service center.

donec, Jun 25, 2009
  8. dukeofurl01

SenorClean

Sigh...

... jerks. I mean, I have the recovery ISOs (I think! I used a pretty dodgy method to create them, can't be sure that they will work!) Maybe I'll just make a ghost image of the lot and use that to restore if I want to.

SenorClean, Jul 3, 2009
  9. dukeofurl01

donec

You may consider getting an external DVD burner (even if you take it back to the store because your not pleased with it) and use the Acer backup software to create your factory disk. Then you can use them to create a working XP version on a different drive placed with-in your AA1. I just tried it using homemade factory disk from a 160Gb drive to create a working drive on a 120Gb drive. It worked but it did not create the extra partition that allows you to do the D2D restoration.

donec, Jul 4, 2009
Ask a Question