Easy rotation of the screen

Discussion in 'Linux' started by syrowe, Dec 31, 2008.

1. syrowe

syrowe

I have just managed to come up with an easy way to rotate the screen to improve reading ease. If this has already been done better somewhere else you someone with more linux knowledge than me can improve on this please let me know.

If not I hope this helps some people;

1) You need to create 2 bash scripts one to rotate the screen the other to put it back to normal. I have attached my two here. They are not complex.

2) Create or place these files somewhere save in your user directory my structure was /home/sy/Code

3) From the terminal window run the following code. This grants you the permission to run these files as executable code.

Code:
    cd Code
    chmod 755 rotate1
    chmod 755 rotate2

If you have saved the files in different directories then alter the cd command accordingly. If you have renamed the files then you will also need to adjust this as well.

4) Now press <Alt> F2 and enter the command "gconf-editor" this will open something similar to the windows registry.
    Navigate to "apps/metacity/keybinding_commands"

5) Select one of the command lines, I used command_1 and command_2, and enter the full address of the two files, one in each command line.

For me this was;

/home/sy/Code/rotate1
    and
    /home/sy/Code/rotate2

6) Within the gconf-editor go up one level to "Global_Keybindings" you will see here a list of commands including Command_1 and Command_2.

Select these and enter the key combination you want to use to rotate your screen. I used <Alt>F5 and <Alt>F6. Special keys alt, ctrl etc are written inside <>.

7) Once you have done this you can then rotate your screen to your hearts content.

I hope this helps anyone. Any questions queries or suggestions let me know.

Cheers

Sy

[attachment=0:1a0tpspb]Code.tar.gz[/attachment:1a0tpspb]

PS My thanks to the How-To-Geek for this article http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/assign-custom-shortcut-keys-on-ubuntu-linux/ which showed me how to do the complicated bit!

syrowe, Dec 31, 2008
Ask a Question