Do you still carry an optical drive?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by GearZ, Jun 22, 2016.

1. GearZ

GearZ

I've found more and more, I just leave behind the external drive (e.g., DVD-ROM or Blu Ray) when traveling. There is just isn't much use. Out of curiosity, do you still pack one or meh? What type do you carry and why?

Thanks for sharing.

GearZ, Jun 22, 2016
  2. GearZ

IcyBC

Na..I don't even have a DVD drive on my laptop nor an external one! I just don't see the need for it anymore. If I need to, I can just watch movie or listening to music online and be done with. The only thing I carry with me is the external hard drive since I have all my data on it.

IcyBC, Jun 25, 2016
  3. GearZ

rz3300

Well I have always been one for traveling light, but of course back in the day you needed to bring these things if you were on business, but these days they are just not necessary. There are so many ways to do so many things over the internet or every which way you can think of, that you do not need to lug around devices anymore. It is wonderful age that we live in, and I am curious to see where it goes from here.

rz3300, Jun 25, 2016
  4. GearZ

afatosum

I still pack one because I store most of my software on compact disks. I know its cumbersome but I find searching for what am looking for rather easy. However, i think the the DVD-ROM is outdated and even modern computers do not carry an optical drive.,

afatosum, Jul 25, 2016
  5. GearZ

acerme2

My laptop comes with a DVD drive which is still useful for various purposes. At work, they still pass training files on CDs or DVDs. I also buy music/video CDs, and installers in CD format. Manufacturers are doing away with built-in CD/DVD-ROM to pack in more specs without hiking laptop prices.

acerme2, Aug 9, 2016
  6. GearZ

Elektron

I do not really see those really necessary nowadays, I've got plenty of pen drives which have me gotten out of hurry several times, I do not really consider the idea of carrying an optical drive as something really useful nowadays since those take up too much space and it's really annoying to carry such a big thing everywhere, I do personally prefer sticking to mini drives, indeed.

Elektron, Aug 12, 2016
  7. GearZ

Corzhens

I actually use a USB stick for temporary storage particularly when I travel. As what our tech in the office would say - the laptop is for the Go Person who is always moving so everything should be conveniently portable. That term conveniently portable is what stopped me from bringing an external hard drive. We have a small portable hard drive in the office that I used to bring but now I have shifted to the USB stick which is more convenient although not that too reliable.

Corzhens, Aug 12, 2016
  8. GearZ

dysph0ria

I'm the weird one in this forum.

I carry a FLOPPY DRIVE. I have an old synthesizer that uses them. It's necessary! I also carry a PCMCIA card with a Firewire interface.

Musical instruments have a much longer period of relevance than computers do, and so their obsolete hardware stays with us much longer than we'd like.

dysph0ria, Aug 18, 2016
  9. GearZ

Fuzyon

My laptop doesn't have an optical drive either and I don't bother carrying one with me, nowadays everything is done online and I don't think I've used a CD in a couple of years now. I can pretty much have any game/movie/tv show on my laptop without the need of a DVD.

Fuzyon, Aug 18, 2016
Ask a Question