Do you believe Linux will ever break out?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ProNine, May 24, 2016.

1. ProNine

ProNine

With the rise of computer hackers and the time advancement, more viruses and malware are made everyday to infect our devices that we often use. As such, a more secure OS might rise to play, especially one which is efficient at being made to protect itself. What do you think, will Linux be used more extensively in the next 10 or 20 years?

ProNine, May 24, 2016
  2. ProNine

SirJoe

It already is, any android device is running Linux, most of the servers are running Linux. It's all a question of time before more and more people use Linux on their laptops.

SirJoe, May 24, 2016
  3. ProNine

nytegeek

Linux is everywhere. It has been adapted in many forms and deployed in many ways across a multitude of devices. More so then Windows ever did in fact. It doesn't really matter if it gains ground on personal computers or not.

nytegeek, May 24, 2016
  4. ProNine

fcuco

I guess you are talking about linux on the desktop. Well, the whole "this is going to be the year of linux on the desktop" is a very old meme that's been circulating the tech world for ages. It actually never materialized yet people use Linux all the time, they just don't know it, from Android to ChromeOS, not to mention that basically all internet infrastructure runs Linux, from your router to the huge servers that host all the web pages and online apps that you use. Since the operating system of the personal computer becomes more and more irrelevant in favor of cloud based services, I guess that you could say that even if linux breaks out, it is a little too late to be important, but on the server side, it won hands down.

fcuco, Jun 15, 2016
  5. ProNine

SirJoe

The unfortunate thing is that people still think that you have to be a programmer in order to be able to use Linux. There are a lot of distros that are as easy to use as Windows but people are still unfamiliar with them. I think it's all a question of tine before they get a bigger audience.

SirJoe, Jun 18, 2016
  6. ProNine

nytegeek

If you are referring to market share on Desktop PCs, maybe. Desktop systems have been in steady decline for several years. I'm not sure market share in that area is relevant anymore.

nytegeek, Jun 18, 2016
  7. ProNine

UpgradeMe

I learned that I'm not the only one that mass migrated to linux after windows started doing all their nonsense with 10. It rubbed a ~LOT~ of people the wrong way, so linux already got a huge boost from that. There could easily be a viral effect from there, who knows ;)

UpgradeMe, Jun 19, 2016
  8. ProNine

nytegeek

It wasn't a mass migration though, and to clarify you couldn't have been the only member of a mass migration to begin with. The impact of the handful of people that up and switched to a Linux OS wouldn't even have been felt by Microsoft. Their biggest market-share is in a market that is declining in usage to begin with. Microsoft doesn't care if you put Linux on a desktop or even a laptop PC. They want you to ditch devices running Android or iOS in favor of Windows devices, phones and tablets, the surface, etc...

nytegeek, Jun 19, 2016
  9. ProNine

SirJoe

True most people are moving away from desktops for their personal computing and moving more and more to mobile devices. Desktops still have their place when it comes to professional work, were full out power is more important than battery life.

SirJoe, Jun 19, 2016
  10. ProNine

Corzhens

Cost is always a consideration by consumers. So until the other OS becomes free license, Linux will be patronized if only to save on cost. But I agree that the issue of viruses is becoming hotter that's why the anti-virus companies are growing as an industry. Maybe Apple and Microsoft are thinking of ways to grab the upperhand in the number of users in the near future but not now. If they can make a more secure OS and can sell it for a cheaper price then that OS will be it.

Just a trivia, when the first IBM micro computer came out with the DOS as the operating system, which is diskette based, the OS was free courtesy of Microsoft. And that was the root of Microsoft's empire.

Corzhens, Jun 19, 2016
  11. ProNine

fcuco

Well, now they went full circle and offer Windows 10 for free, but for all the wrong reasons, it is because they want to monetize it through some shady practices like data mining and selling your private information to ads agencies, even possibly the goverment. OSX is now free too to a degree, but that's because Apple uses it as vehicle to sell overpriced hardware. That's their business model but I prefer it, at least it is completely transparent.

fcuco, Jun 20, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  12. ProNine

UpgradeMe

semantics, semantics ;) Yes, microsoft does have a vested interest in PCs because of b2b sales. Take into account just exposing more people to different operating systems, having more people that can vouch for the reliability, the viral effect in general having exponential results, etc. You don't want to lightly influence audiences, taught in business 2nd year w/the diffusion of innovations curve, competition starts slow but snaps when it wins.

UpgradeMe, Jun 20, 2016
  13. ProNine

nytegeek

Actually it is more than semantics. The decline of desktop PC usage has been across the board. There is also the fact that more and more businesses are adopting tablets, phones, and laptops that do not utilize a Microsoft OS. Linux never really penetrated the home user space on the desktop, but it did in business. And then there is servers... Microsoft was late to the game in viable server operating systems as well. It is hardly semantics. Microsoft isn't going anywhere soon, but their future doesn't lie in the PC market. Even they recognize this.

nytegeek, Jun 20, 2016
  14. ProNine

Corzhens

Is that so? I have been ignoring articles about Windows 10 since my laptop is my official computer in the office powered by Windows 7 and I can only upgrade upon the instruction memo for office standards. Maybe that's one of the reasons why our office has not upgraded to Windows 10 because of that issue of mining. But on the other hand, it's nice to hear that the Windows 10 license is now for free, that may give the other OS a stiff competition.

Corzhens, Jun 20, 2016
  15. ProNine

UpgradeMe

I meant semantics about mass migration and being the only one. That's like nitpicking on steroids man, I don't know how you make small talk in real life but I have to imagine it is at least mildly awkward ;)

And yes, I think you do not realize how many people are interested in Linux. Look at search trends and instead of looking at raw #s, look at percentage of growth and notice it is clearly in the upward. I am quite connected in terms of what marketers are doing, and many of them are doubling down a decent chunk of change on linux-based sites - I have seen the word "linux" more times in the last 6 months than I have in most of my 7-year online "career" (it's not really a career to work in your boxers and out of miscellaneous starbucks while hopping cities, or so I've heard)

UpgradeMe, Jun 22, 2016
  16. ProNine

Dame6089

I really doubt that Linux will ever gain any traction in the PC market. Most people are ignorant to the existence of Linux to begin with. Also people like familiarity and like to use the names they have heard such as Microsoft and Apple. Most of the people that own computers are not power users and will just buy whatever seems to work well enough. The stronghold that Microsoft and Apple have on the industry is probably impossible o break at this point.

Dame6089, Jun 22, 2016
  17. ProNine

GearZ

I guess it matters what you mean by "break out". As a traditional desktop OS running on the PC for the average home user? No, not likely to ever happen. But almost everywhere else (e.g., server-side, mobile devices, network appliances, lightweight laptops, etc.), Linux is a resounding success by any measure.

GearZ, Jun 22, 2016
  18. ProNine

fcuco

What will happen when you arrive at your office one day to discover that the update to Windows 10 proceeded anyway?
    This is happening to a lot of people, even a lawsuit was thrown at Microsoft and I believe the people involved won. They basically claimed that the forced Windows 10 upgrade was not compatible with an internal software that they were using to run their business thus rendering it obsolete once the upgrade was forced. Is your manager aware of the fact that the Windows 1o thing is practically forced by now?

fcuco, Jul 13, 2016
  19. ProNine

Corzhens

I understand that many computers were upgraded to Windows 10 involuntarily. But I'm sure our tech in the office have a safeguard against this because we are not allowed to install any software without permission, that includes upgrades. However, if that scenario happens that Windows 10 is installed in my laptop without my knowledge, I would just report it to the security unit to free me from suspicion.

Corzhens, Jul 13, 2016
  20. ProNine

SirJoe

I do agree, a lot of people see Linux as a free operating system and by being free it's not as good as a payed operating system. This is very far from the truth, Linux is just as good if not better then any paid operating system and has a great communality backing it up, unfortunately when ever people talk about Linux people automatically think that they have to be programmers in order to us it. There is a Linux distro for everyone, from the more advanced user to the person that has never used anything else besides windows.

SirJoe, Aug 3, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
Ask a Question