Dead aspire one

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by krizze, Aug 6, 2008.

1. krizze

jpnjim

Acer's warrentee program is pretty easy going (atleast it was for me).
    I had broken the LCD on my Aspire 9410-4441 (17" screen notebook), and replaced it myself at home. (screen isn't under warrentee & Acer's cost to replace it was a joke).

I also pulled off the 'Caps Lock' key off (after accidentally hitting it for the millionth time).

Well the HDD went right after that, and it was still in the year warrentee period.

I jammed the 'Caps Lock' key back on (without one of the little plastic clips that go underneath), and hoped they wouldn't notice I'd had it apart (some of the little rubber screw covers were now missing too).

I sent it in, and they happily replaced the bad HDD, AND swapped on a new keyboard. :lol:

I'd bet if you pulled the offending RAM, and buttoned it all back together, you'd be alright (unless there's broked stuff inside from the instal).

jpnjim, Aug 17, 2008
  2. krizze

schmitzoide

Mine went blank today, too. Power led on without an image.
    Had just restored a Windows Vista instalattion (I have a HDD built in and extra memory).

Simply went blank! Will try to remove the hardware that I have installed.

Marcel

schmitzoide, Aug 17, 2008
  3. krizze

Mr_E

I purchased an Aspire One A150, 1.6ghz atom 1 gig ram windows xp home. My laptop came with 1 gig of ram and ive had it for 1 week and is doingh the exact same thing that is posted in this thread, press power, light stays on, fan comes on but screen stays black. So there u go fellas newer model doing the same thing but with no upgrades to it.

Mr_E, Aug 17, 2008
  4. krizze

schmitzoide

Didn't work. Removed HDD and Memory, still no luck. Will try to find the Mobo's battery (does it have one?) and try to reset the bios.

Marcel

schmitzoide, Aug 17, 2008
  5. krizze

Tilde

It did :) . They would even swap it for the 1gig/hdd version! Whith some extra paypent from my side ofcourse.

Tilde, Aug 18, 2008
  6. krizze

apaige

Just an update: my replacement unit doesn't seem to have the problem in question. I've booted it earlier this afternoon even though the ambient temperature was above 25°C. The fan is just as loud however.

apaige, Aug 18, 2008
  7. krizze

edgecrush3r

Damn... I didnt even upgrade and i've got the same problems.
    Black screen on boot, no BIOS Logo or any leds turning on except the power led.
    I bought my Aspire One 150 about 4 days and it already broke down.
    This realy p*** me off. :(

edgecrush3r, Aug 18, 2008
  8. krizze

Kaos2K

You did not upgrade but your 150 already has a 512MB ram module on the socket, right? (plus 512MB soldered on board)

Kaos2K, Aug 18, 2008
  9. krizze

edgecrush3r

Correct.. No HW modifications were done.
    I got the 1gb factory default.

Cheers,
    Tony

edgecrush3r, Aug 18, 2008
  10. krizze

blackhawk

Without any hardware modification, today my Aspire One (8GB SSD version) dead!

blackhawk, Aug 19, 2008
  11. krizze

pxharder

Thank God I don't feel so alone! Bought mine (A110) at Circuit City 13 days ago. Everything was great. Didn't modify it at all. Installed WINE and some Windows apps, played with other apps, was having fun. Then yesterday, coming out of hibernate, it started to run really slow. Did a reboot and it stayed black screen.

I panicked! I went home and spent two hours using the Restore CD and a USB to re-image the system to factory default. Sometimes it would work for a second, then freeze. Others, I just got the black screen on boot.

I gave up and took it back to Circuit City. They were out of stock (online said they had some!) so they gave me a full refund.

Now, do I go and get the A150 or wait?

pxharder, Aug 19, 2008
  12. krizze

DutchAcerOne

Without any hardware modification, today my Aspire One (8GB SSD version) died!
    We are getting a crowd, what's up Acer?
    I loved the One very much, I had it just one week... :(

DutchAcerOne, Aug 19, 2008
  13. krizze

Teth

Mine gave up last weekend after five days in use. Other than the power-led, nothing happens. Sent it back and waiting to see what comes of it.

Teth, Aug 19, 2008
  14. krizze

beano

My 120GB HDD version died today as well. It was just under a week old. No mods. In my desperation I did take it apart and pulled the battery to try and give the BIOS a "reset." No dice - everything went together well, and it feels tighter than before (I'm used to working on these things). Does anybody have a theory on what's going on??

beano, Aug 19, 2008
  15. krizze

Kaos2K

I dont understand you very well... You repaired the Aspire removing the bios battery?

Kaos2K, Aug 19, 2008
  16. krizze

Teth

I tried resetting the BIOS by removing the battery as well, tried without the SSD or/and extra memory (Kingston KVR667D2S5/1G), with an external monitor and some other things I could think of but nothing. No activity of any kind.

Teth, Aug 19, 2008
  17. krizze

Kaos2K

Must be a jumper to reset the bios without removing the battery like in "bigs" motherboards PCS? Did you find it or something?

Kaos2K, Aug 19, 2008
  18. krizze

beano

I'm sorry it's an Americanism :) No dice = Still dead... I'm going to try and leave the battery out and the unit unplugged overnight and see if it comes back to life in the morning. Wish me luck!

beano, Aug 19, 2008
  19. krizze

beano

Must be a jumper to reset the bios without removing the battery like in "bigs" motherboards PCS? Did you find it or something?[/quote]

I looked for a jumper and was not able to find one. :(

beano, Aug 19, 2008
  20. krizze

Kaos2K

I looked for a jumper and was not able to find one. :([/quote]

Ok , its a good idea to leave the battery out all night but... If you have time try to find some kind of contact points for reset the bios. Must be one somewhere in that tiny pcb.

Keep us up-to-date :)

Kaos2K, Aug 19, 2008
Ask a Question