Dead aspire one

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by krizze, Aug 6, 2008.

1. krizze

krizze

Got my A1 about a week ago, upgraded to 1gb extra memory the second day (and by doing so - voided my warranty), and it's been working sweet, until today. Well, actually, it did the same trick on me yesterday, but it woke up right after and worked fine.

The thing is: I get a black screen when I turn it on. The power-led is green, the fan is running, but nothing else. No harddrive activity, no luck on getting a picture on an external monitor via VGA, nothing! The first time it froze and went black was under heavy CPU-usage, but this time I was just surfing the web a bit, and listening to some music, and then, bam! Black screen, total lockup, but this time it didn't work afterwards :(

Oh, I also tried to remove the memory I put in, hoping that was causing the trouble, but no luck... Dead CPU maybe - I don't know, the only thing I do know is that I'll sure as hell won't get a new one from acer :(

Anyone else having the same experience?

krizze, Aug 6, 2008
  2. krizze

osdude

Try this...

Remove the battery and plug in the AC adapter and see if that makes a difference. It probably won't but it will eliminate other possible issues.

And call Acer, there were no seals I noticed, so I don't know why that would void the warranty, doesn't hurt to try eh?

osdude, Aug 7, 2008
  3. krizze

Kaos2K

Maybe a shortcut?

Kaos2K, Aug 7, 2008
  4. krizze

krizze

Already tried with only ac adapter - no luck. Even tried to disconnect the ssd, wlan card, etc - it's dead. Anyways, I asked for a return where I bought it, so I'll send it in, and hope they just give me a new one (who knows, I might get lucky). I miss my A1 :(

krizze, Aug 7, 2008
  5. krizze

harryone

I'm with you... I also bought my One a couple weeks ago and use it for less than 1 week. I get it work with windows xp and ewf, the performance is very good but there are some problems to show that the One is not as durable as regular laptop. First, the ssd happened to tell me there's no operating system and I just installed windows xp at work and bring it home, this happened twices... and then I was trying to setup the windows xp again at home last night. The screen went black and never turn back on again. So Sad... I was thinking to reset the bios by taking out the motherboard battery, but I don't want to break anything inside... I decided to return it! Good Luck for everyone using One!

harryone, Aug 7, 2008
  6. krizze

krizze

Tried to reset the battery too, no dice

krizze, Aug 7, 2008
  7. krizze

DarrenHD

Hi, the exact same thing happened to mine.

I upgraded the RAM, it worked fine for two days, then turned it on: black screen. Power LED comes on, it charges the battery...but just a black screen. The screen itself doesn't even light up and the machine doesn't seem to post. I took it back to the store I bought it from, they evaluated it for two days, called me back and said "It is in fact dead" (well, duh, of course it was!) Anwyay, they offered to give me a new replacement unit.

But at that point I told the store to just order me the 120GB version. It's not quite yet shipping in my area, but after the issues with the 8GB SSD in Windows I think I will be happier with the hard drive version.

I probably will see about buying an extended warranty, too...

DarrenHD, Aug 8, 2008
  8. krizze

Kaos2K

What ram you installed? A Kingston 667Mhz dont you?

Kaos2K, Aug 8, 2008
  9. krizze

DarrenHD

Yes Kingston 667MHz ram, and the ram worked fine. That was not the problem. The machine itself died 1.5 days after installing ram...

Darren

DarrenHD, Aug 8, 2008
  10. krizze

Kaos2K

There are more people who used Kingston 667Mhz and 2 or 3 days later the Aspire One died... Coincidence?

Kaos2K, Aug 8, 2008
  11. krizze

DarrenHD

I guess anything is possible, but it wouldn't make sense that it would work fine for a few days then just die because of ram. The ram I put in was brand new. You would think that it would kill it right away or just not post if incompatible ram was put in.

I even tried without the ram but the machine was still dead.

DarrenHD, Aug 8, 2008
  12. krizze

apaige

Bought mine today. Closed the lid, I assume it went to standby mode (battery full, AC plugged in). A couple hours later I opened the lid, pressed a key to wake it up, and the screen remained dark. Shut it down, turned it back on, the screen was still black and the A1 didn't seem to boot at all. I can only see the green light on the power button, and hear the fan working. Tried on AC, with and without the battery, tried to turn it off and on again, no dice.

I didn't change anything to the hardware (I didn't add any RAM). I'm returning it tomorrow. I've been able to play with it for only a few hours. What bugs me most, is that I already have sensitive data on it, such as passwords…

apaige, Aug 8, 2008
  13. krizze

apaige

I left the A1 off during the night, with the AC plugged out and the battery removed. This morning I put the battery back in, tried to boot it up (just in case), and guess what, it booted. What gives?

I can hear a faint but distinct whining coming from it (like yesterday), I assume it's the fan. It's only 23°C right now (73°F). Could the A1 have overheated?

Edit: a few hours laters, it does it again. I turned it off, wanted to turn it back on, black screen. Does the BIOS refuse to POST when the ambiant temperature is above a certain level or something? It's not even 30°C though :-/

apaige, Aug 9, 2008
  14. krizze

rory

Same problem, I'm going to PC World and quoting this thread as proof its a widespread problem that's not caued by my adding RAM.
    Rory

rory, Aug 9, 2008
  15. krizze

rory

Went to PC World, and didn't even need to do anything, just was like it doesnt work, they had a look, eliminated that it wasnt a battery problem, and gave me a enw one
    How lucky am I?
    No fucking case with it though which is a twat, becaus I was going to keep my one, but didn't want the hassle of them going cant exchange because its incomplete, and it turns out they screw me over. Ah well, I might get the case for the 6-Cell battery verison instead.
    Rory

rory, Aug 9, 2008
  16. krizze

MMD

Mine is still dead from the ram install/ keyboard issues. It looks like even though I live 5 mins away from the depot it won't be getting back to me for another 2 weeks... i'm so worried i'll get a call saying "well you installed ram and that voids the warranty" but mostly I just want to know why it stopped working.

MMD, Aug 9, 2008
  17. krizze

rachel

Hmm.

A couple of minutes ago I posted this on the "fanless" thread: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=300&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=40#p7370

... About how I'd just managed to kill my Aspire One stone dead.

Then I read this thread. As it happens the memory upgrade I'd put in the previous day was also a 667MHz Kingston unit. So it might not have been my clumsiness either maybe - except that I am seeing absolutely no life at all, not even the mains light when the mains lead is plugged in.

Anyway, rory's experience returning his to PC World makes me think maybe it's worth my while doing that after all, as that's where I bought mine from too...

rachel, Aug 10, 2008
  18. krizze

psycosonic

Mine died today! After a month and a week of use! :(

Died the same way as the author of this topic described...

psycosonic, Aug 14, 2008
  19. krizze

Tilde

Same problem here!

Had it for 1,5 weeks. Today I installed 1gig of extra ram (kingston kvr533D2S4/1G). Afterwards everything worked fine for a couple of hours, but then when I rebooted the one, all I got was a blank screen. The problem is exactly the same as discribed here.

Well,I hope this falls under warenty :?

Tilde, Aug 16, 2008
  20. krizze

rachel

just thought i'd mention, as i posted here before saying i'd killed mine, and with that memory...

well, i got it back to life again, and it's fine... with that kingston 667MHz 1GB memory still in it. :) I don't really think the memory is the problem.

rachel, Aug 16, 2008
Ask a Question