Dead Aspire One :(

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by lkassof, Nov 5, 2010.

1. lkassof

lkassof

I've had this ZG5 for about a year and half. Lately I haven't used it much. This summer I took it on vacation for two weeks, came home, did a vaca pic slide show for the family and put in on a table for three months. Went to turn it on and was welcomed with "Media test failure, check cable" and "No bootable device -- insert disk and press any key."

I assume this means there is something wrong with the drive, although how that happened I have no idea. Given that this thing only cost me $200, I am reluctant to pay for repairs. On the other hand, I cannot find another 8" laptop at a reasonable price anywhere!

Any suggestions on trying to fix it myself? I've got nothing to lose!

lkassof, Nov 5, 2010
  2. lkassof

Swarvey Moderator

If it's an HDD model, you might have some success with removing and reconnecting the HDD itself. If the HDD needs replacing, you can get 500Gb netbook drives on eBay, I've seen them as low as $69.

Otherwise search around, I'm pretty sure this problem has been covered before. There might be more answers in other threads.

Swarvey, Nov 6, 2010
Ask a Question