Custom desktop script (DEPRECATED)

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by k0ro, Aug 13, 2008.

1. k0ro

Eazy97

Re: Custom desktop script

I'm currently using the desktop switch. One of them stops the acer messenger from working and doesn't auto connect to my wifi. The other which I'm using is fine but I don't like hitting a button everytime it starts up to switch. I was just looking for somthing that make it automatic and kept everything else working fine.

Eazy97, Aug 23, 2008
  2. k0ro

MadParrot

Very very nice. I've done this on mine, and its just what I need. I'm a linux 'user', in that I only really use it at work for dev stuff, and so know very little about the config side of things, but could manage this. :)

It took me a couple of tries, I believe my internet connection went a little dodgy the first time around, and I ended up having to use the recovery disk to get back from my half-configured desktop to try again. I'm not sure why, it stalled on trying to download libpurple libraries, and when I went to some of the mirrors myself, I couldn't find the files myself. It may be that the first couple on the list were ok though, and I only missed them because of the interent connection, in anycase, I decided to go without pidgin, and deleted it out of the install packages lists (and left in acer's default, can't remember what its called).

It does take a while, I ended up running it overnight and got up the next morning to find it on the second stage of installing the feodora libraries, - oh no, thought I, something has gone horribly wrong. I went out and left if for a few hours though, and came home to my beautiful new desktop. Happy endings :)

MadParrot, Aug 24, 2008
  3. k0ro

dri

Thanks for this very useful "fix". But I need favor, since you have the kernel tree up and compiling, could you compile airprime.ko and make it available? (Huawei e220 3G card)

dri, Aug 24, 2008
  4. k0ro

murdok

hi
    i have customized my desktop with this script.... but now the storage expansion card (i use 8gb sd) is a simply removable media card...
    how mount the card to upgrade the filesystem capacity?

excuse me for the english :oops: :oops:
    tx

murdok, Aug 24, 2008
  5. k0ro

Jericho

Is it possible to use this script to modify my existing Linpus system so that the taskbar has a Start Button just like the Xfce System? Can I edit the PACKAGES_TO_INCLUDE & PACKAGES_TO_INSTALL section so that it only changes the taskbar but leaves the rest of the Linpus system alone?

My goal is to add a Start Button to the taskbar of my Linpus system. Is there some other way to do this?

Thank You!

Jericho, Aug 25, 2008
  6. k0ro

dri

Never mind, got through the trouble myself. Working nicely now! :D

dri, Aug 25, 2008
  7. k0ro

primejunta

If that's all you want to do, I'd suggest you not use this script at all; you can do it without changing the packages installed on your system. That has the advantage that Acer's Live Update will work as it's intended. It's a bit fussy, but since you only have to do it once, it might be less trouble than a wholesale reconfiguration of your One.

The information you're looking for is here: [ viewtopic.php?f=13&t=736 ].

primejunta, Aug 25, 2008
  8. k0ro

wüstenmaus

hi koro,
    all modems that are supported by the cdc_acm module should work...but how???? :?

it is not in anyway recognized when i turn one my aao (after running your script).
    do you have a suggestion?
    will.

wüstenmaus, Aug 25, 2008
  9. k0ro

Jericho

Thank you primejunta!

I was able to add a start button to my taskbar without having to overhaul the entire Linpus system...
    After one month of tweaking and trying out every Operating System that can be installed on the Acer One, I'm finally feeling a little customer satisfaction with my purchase.

...Just in time for school too! :)

Jericho, Aug 26, 2008
  10. k0ro

Jumbocactuar

This is cool but i've lost the power management tool! can't find it anymore! Where can i find it? Thanks

Anyone kown how to eliminate that orrible screensaver with images of AA1 in loop?

Jumbocactuar, Aug 26, 2008
  11. k0ro

acering

Using koro's script and it's great. I know I can't use live update without messing things up, but wondering if I can use software updater. Also has anyone had any luck using usb headsets with skype? Cheers

acering, Aug 26, 2008
  12. k0ro

Jumbocactuar

I also got stuttering in videos since i tried the script...

Jumbocactuar, Aug 26, 2008
  13. k0ro

lufcmattylad

when the laptop hibernates, the wifi reconnects, but I cant surf the web, I have to reboot.

has this been mentioned before...?...is there a fix?

lufcmattylad, Aug 26, 2008
  14. k0ro

kompute

I think the AA1 screensaver images are in user/photos/photoframe....just change the images, that should work. I haven't done it yet myself but I was thinking about doing it soon.

kompute, Aug 26, 2008
  15. k0ro

tomhys

Great job! thanks. It's nice to have a background pic etc. didn't like the Acer interface.

tomhys, Aug 27, 2008
  16. k0ro

2manydjs

My printscreen function is not working anymore.. Anyone got the same problem?

2manydjs, Aug 29, 2008
  17. k0ro

chairmanofthebored

2manydjs

I had this problem, it is because the keyboard shortcuts theme slips back to default after running the script.

To correct it do the following:

From the XFCE menu goto Settings > Keyboard
    Click the "Shortcuts" tab
    Under "Themes" select "linpus" instead of Default.

Sorted!

chairmanofthebored, Aug 29, 2008
  18. k0ro

jbesada

do the kernel modules cover mc950d usb modem? I think the needed module is usbserial.

I would like to use linpus to get the incredible start time, power consumtion, ... But I really need using this 3g stick for my work.

jbesada, Aug 29, 2008
  19. k0ro

jbmilman

i have tried this three times now and i love it...except i keep having the same issue. Network connection manager will not remember my WEP keys, i have tried several things to get this to work and i can get nothing going...keyring is selected as stated in this thread and i also tried replacing the nowait.sh with the acer default one. nothing...any suggestions??

jbmilman, Aug 29, 2008
  20. k0ro

eddieitman

ok not wanting to teach to suck eggs but are you putting the pwd in when it detects the wifi if so cancel that go to connection manger, select new and then select your network put pwd in and should remember it the other way didn't work for me

eddieitman, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question