Custom desktop script (DEPRECATED)

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by k0ro, Aug 13, 2008.

1. k0ro

clairvaux

Re: Custom desktop script

Just posting to say thanks for all the hard work. This script makes my netbook feel like a normal computer :)

I guess i am having the same issue as everyone else when it comes to updating software-- if I go into the update program it lists updates available for EVERYTHING. Attempts to update anything pretty much fails. Will you be able to make future versions of your script compatible with these packages so this will update normally?

Edit: when i run sudo yum upgrade it marks all the packages to be updated, but then at the bottom I see the following two errors (this is probably why the update process failed as outlined above):

Error: notification-daemon-xfce conflicts with notify-daemon
    Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.1.16 is needed by package yelp

I am a total linux noob. I have no idea what that means or how to fix it. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

clairvaux, Aug 18, 2008
  2. k0ro

wüstenmaus

sounds like a great script!
    my question is, if the huawei e220 or e160 is supported?
    right now i use the vodafon betavine software to use my e220, but after installing the latest lifeupdate the e220 stopped working...
    thanks for any info on that matter, will

wüstenmaus, Aug 18, 2008
  3. k0ro

Guest Guest

Hi at all,

i've got download the script file and i execute that, but when installing Fedora 8 Core packages the script return an error message:

Can anyone help me? i'm noob and italian people ^_^

Guest, Aug 18, 2008
  4. k0ro

AlexK

I had this very problem. I re-installed the defualt Linpus (I'd been playing with it a bit) from the recovery CD and it worked a charm - might be worth a try?

AlexK, Aug 18, 2008
  5. k0ro

Guest Guest

Uff...i've got reinit my aspireone...and after all updates...i try the script ^_^

Guest, Aug 18, 2008
  6. k0ro

cytech

seemingly the pre-installed linpus is more out of date than what is supplied on the CD, my first rebuild did a lot less updating the the preinstalled version - also the repos seem to work better on the reinstall...maybe im just maging it.

Oh btw great script <3

cytech, Aug 18, 2008
  7. k0ro

Guest Guest

GREATS!!!

Works Fine!!!

After the reinit SO, the Script work very well...thanks a lot for all

Guest, Aug 18, 2008
  8. k0ro

agodfr17

Excellent! Thanks so much for this and I hope that you continue to release scripts for us to update with!

agodfr17, Aug 18, 2008
  9. k0ro

tikaro

Hi,
    This works almost like a charm, but system don't automount a USB stick any more
    Anyone with the same experience and/or a solution ?

-tikaro

Sorry, was a little bit to fast....a reboot fixed everything

tikaro, Aug 18, 2008
  10. k0ro

bassic83

MANY thanks to you for this script- I'm running it now at work- hope it finishes soon, I'm already 30 minutes over...but it really looks like it will get me to where I want my little box to be. I have a trip coming up next month, can't wait to be able to whip it out and stay in touch, as well as work on some stuff while I am waiting at the airport. The AA1 is going to be my only luggage for a week...well, I am bringing a small carry-on bag with some undies and a fresh set of clothes, for the rest I'll raid my dad's closet or buy when I get there. I HATE flying these days! Anyway, thanks so much for figuring this all out- I bow to you, oh great master!!! :D

bassic83, Aug 18, 2008
  11. k0ro

onemadscientist

What about the right click and "start" menu in the bottom left? How do you add applications to this menu? The old menu file @ /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml shows all of the old applications. Where is the new menu file located?

I added some applications with the add/remove software choice on the menu. Some of them showed up, but others did not. I know they are located in the /usr/share/applications folder, and can click on them to launch. However, I would like to add these to the menu. Can someone point me to the the proper file? I have used the wonderful script to update the desktop, and I'm not sure now where to look.

Thanks!

onemadscientist, Aug 18, 2008
  12. k0ro

two_wheels

Click on your new Start button, then Settings -> Menu Editor.

two_wheels, Aug 19, 2008
  13. k0ro

onemadscientist

Ok, thanks for the tip. I was able to add a menu item, but how do I add a menu item to one of the existing categories?

onemadscientist, Aug 19, 2008
  14. k0ro

mmmike

I have decided to change to this desktop anyway, but with my GF in Argentina for another couple weeks, Skype w/web cam is pretty necessary :)

Anyone found a way to get web cam to work?

Thanks,
    Mike

mmmike, Aug 19, 2008
  15. k0ro

paashaasschaam

what do i need to type in the xtrem screen?
    do i need to put this in one line?

cd Downloads
    sudo sh ./aone-config.sh

because i see directory not found or something.

paashaasschaam, Aug 19, 2008
  16. k0ro

onemadscientist

If you look at the very first post in this thread on page 1 there are instructions as to what to type in the xterm window. If you follow these instructions you will be able to update the desktop correctly.

onemadscientist, Aug 19, 2008
  17. k0ro

larsie

Remember that everything under linux is case sensitive. To make sure you type things correctly you can press tab for autocompletion:

So you'd type "cd D<tab><tab>" and you'd see all the folders starting with 'D' in your current folder. Because there's another folder which starts with 'Do' you'll need to type "cd Dow<tab>" and now it should read "cd Downloads/"

If you still can't find the directory try typing "cd ~/" first ;)

Regarding the script:

I'm running it right now, it seems to be going smooth after 3 or 4 retries. Yum had decided to disabled some repositories needed by the script. It's my own fault but it'd be neat if the script itself would check if all the required repositories are enabled in /etc/yum.repos.d/ ;)

I guess many users here won't have much problems with the script but the logfile is pretty useless when it comes to yum related problems. Maybe running yum in verbose (on the background of course) could make life easier :)

Thumbs up for the script, k0ro :)

larsie, Aug 20, 2008
  18. k0ro

k0ro

Sorry for the delay, I've been away on holidays. First, I want to thank everyone for the great reception this little script is having. I'll try to answer some of the questions you've posted these past days (sorry if I miss something, please ask again).

Perhaps you've saved your session (by using the Shutdown button and checking the option Save the session for future logins) without closing that window. Try to save it again with everything closed.

Yes, this is a bug. Linpus' default rc.d script removes the file .gtk-bookmarks in each reboot. To fix this, edit the file /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh (with sudo mousepad) and comment the proper line.

I think this is a feature provided by Linpus' hacked Thunar which makes use of unionfs/aufs. Since we still have support for this special FS in the kernel, it's possible to manually configure it. But, IMHO, using unionfs/aufs is a bad idea for the One, since it imposes a considerable amount of overhead over a native filesystem (like ext2).

All modems supported by the cdc_acm module should work, but I can't tell the exact models.

The webcam works nicely for me both in Skype and ucview.

This is the hardest part. We have Acer's Live Upgrade (which doesn't follow any standard and can break almost everything) at one side, and Fedora's standard updates at the other. Which one should we follow?

For me, since Acer's Live Upgrade is an obscure tool that only Acer knows about, Fedora's is the way to follow. So I'm thinking about updating the script to complete break up with Acer's software and make fully use of Fedora's repositories. (If you don't want to part from Acer's side, you can try with this viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1525)

Good suggestions, I'll try to add this features to the next version.

k0ro, Aug 20, 2008
  19. k0ro

eruhuan

done it! great work! again 4 thumbs up :!: :!:

cant wait for future updates/fixes/ releases of your script
    :D

eruhuan, Aug 20, 2008
  20. k0ro

wyl

Hi,
    many thanxx, it's great to have a "normal" desktop :D
    But, since i've used your script, my sound (speaker and headphones) don't work anymore..... :|
    And i'm a newby to Linux too :oops: (i'm intending to spend quite some time to start learning Linux :shock: )
    So, i don't know what to do..
    Sorry for asking this (perhaps) stupid question
    thanks for answering,
    Wyl

wyl, Aug 20, 2008
Ask a Question