Cracked AOD260 Screen

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by confused, May 30, 2012.

1. confused

confused

By accident I've cracked the screen by stepping on my AOD260-2714 so that less than half the right side is visible. It's actually getting worse as - most of the left side is white now when it turns on with some black at places. Would replacing the screen fix the issue or might there be some other damage too. It works connecting to an external monitor.

Is there a reliable site to buy a replacement screen online or is there a shop I could go to in Seattle to pick one up? Should I consider a touch replacement for upcoming win8? Or should I just get a new netbook?

Is the screen that came with the netbook matte or glossy?

Thanks in advance!

confused, May 30, 2012
  2. confused

Swarvey Moderator

* I've bought replacement screens from eBay with no problems, having said that though, using eBay can be risky, if you choose this route, make sure you buy from a seller with reputable feedback.

* As far as my experience dictates, you could have potentially broken the backlight as well, but considering you say that some of your screen is still useable, the backlight is more than likely still fully functional. I mention this because not all replacement screens come with the backlight.

* You can tell if your screen is matte or glossy just by looking at it. If it's shiny, it's glossy, if it's easy to look at and not too reflective, it's matte. As far as I'm aware, you can get replacement screens in both glossy and matte. Personally I prefer matte as it doesn't reflect the ambient light and makes it easier to read when you turn the brightness down, thus saving your battery.

* I've also been humming and haring over upgrading to a touch screen kit, but the price just isn't justifiable. However, if I had to replace my screen, and there was the possibility of replacing the LCD with a touch screen version, then I'd go for it, if the price difference between touch and non-touch wasn't too drastic. If you get the touch screen now, it'll save you having to open up the bezel later.

Swarvey, May 30, 2012
  3. confused

confused

My screen kinda looks like this one on ebay - except that it covers most of the left half. Lots of white, some black along the middle half, and I could see crack marks starting from lower left corner about an inch above the bottom.

How do you know if you've broken the back light?
    Does anyone has a dealer they trust?

confused, May 31, 2012
  4. confused

elPaulio Moderator

If you screen is still bright like that one in the link then your backlight is ok.

You will know if the backlight has broken as it will be extremelly difficult to read anything on screen, but this is improved by shining a torch across the screen.

Hope that helps

Paul

elPaulio, Jun 1, 2012
  5. confused

OhioTom76

How old is the laptop? I wouldn't pay $100+ dollars for a screen for a laptop that is more than 2 years old - you could likely find a whole used version of that laptop for that price. If you only paid a few hundred dollars for the laptop itself and it's already a few years old, just put it towards a brand new system. The prices of laptops continues to drop, and what was considered a mid-range laptop a year or two ago can often be bought as an entry level laptop these days for around $350 brand new with the same specs if not better - plus you'll generally get a whole year of manufacturer warranty to protect it.

OhioTom76, Feb 25, 2014
Ask a Question