Connecting External Monitors

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by RLM49, Apr 27, 2015.

1. RLM49

RLM49

I'm looking for someone to help please. I want to connect two flatscreen monitors to my Laptop (Three screens total).

The Laptop is a 17" ASUS Model No. R750JK and both Monitors are DELL Flat Panel monitors Model No. 1907FPt.

I'm running Windows 8.1 and want to EXTEND my laptop screen to the other two monitors.

The Laptop has 1 x HDMI slot, 1 x Mini Display Port, 2 x USB 3.0 and 2 x USB 2.0 slots.

Both Monitors have 1 x DVI-D slot, 1 x D-Sub slot, 2 USB slots, with a further 2 USB slots on the side of the Monitor.

Any ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RLM49, Apr 27, 2015
  2. RLM49

Connie858

You will need to purchase something like this, a DVI male to DVI Female + VGA female splitter or a DVI male to 2 * VGA female adaptor assuming that your laptop has a DVI output. If not, you will need a VGA make to 2 * VGA female splitter such as this one

I am not 100% sure that it will work on a laptop, but there is no obvious reason as to why it would not.

$_35.jpg 637705-660617-290.jpg startech-com-dvispl1vv-cable-interface-gender-adapter.jpg

I think this will then leave you with 2 screens (not sure the laptop screen will count).

Alternatively if the splitter concept does not work, you can run with a 2nd screen off your VGA/DVI output on a standard connection and use this device to add a 3rd screen via a USB port.
    Startech USB3.0 to HDMI external video card, which will definitely leave you with 3 screens from a laptop including your laptop screen and I guess if you have more than one free USB port and the money, you could run with as many as you wanted...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Connie858, Jun 8, 2015
  3. RLM49

RLM49

Hi Connie858,
    Thanks for the reply but..... I finally worked it out myself it was just a matter of utilizing what I already had. I bought two small cables a HDMI to DVI-D cable and a Mini Display Port to DVI-D cable. Plugged them in, played with the monitor setup until I had what I wanted and it works like a charm. It makes life so much easier now, no more trying to juggle multiple windows on one monitor.....

RLM49, Jun 12, 2015
    Connie858 likes this.
  4. RLM49

Connie858

Glad to know you got it sorted. It was interesting looking it up to be honest, because I am in the same situation wanting to do the same. I am feeling rather restricted by my 1 14 inch screen!

Connie858, Jun 12, 2015
Ask a Question