Common problems with HP laptops?

Discussion in 'HP / Compaq' started by Lun, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Lun

Lun

I heard a lot of these while asking for feedback on certain laptops, it seemed to me that HP is the most criticized one, mostly due to the overheating of their laptops that sometimes cause damage to other components. I recently got an HP but I returned it today as the display wasn't working properly. Is this heating issue that spread in HP laptops? Should I be more wary of them?

Also what other problems is HP known for? Just for reference.

Lun, Jun 21, 2015
  2. Lun

Connie858

I have worked extensively with laptops (I worked in a school and every kid had a laptop, so did every member of staff and I was the support technician/engineer).
    I haven't really seen any more issues in HP than any others. To be honest, I though HP was one of the better ones. I have had a few students have problems with HP ones, I have had many many more students have issues (hardware issues) with Acer ones than any others. I have seen issues with Sony ones and IBM/Thinkpad as well. I could probably name a few other makes as well, but Acer tops the list, not HP.

Connie858, Jun 21, 2015
  3. Lun

Lun

That's interesting. Maybe their products work better in certain environments than others? Maybe the overheating happens because I live in a 45 degrees environment... or something. Every time I ask for recommendations (from people who live here) I'm always told to avoid HP. I always ignored their advice until I got that laptop, but then it turned out damaged and I returned it, so I'm becoming more trusting of such floating rumors, because they usually have some basis. On the other hand, Lenovo topped the list of most praised brand over here. And I personally had a great experience with a laptop of theirs that I bought for $800 a few years back, it was perfect for gaming with a 1080p display and the capabilities to run latest games on very high settings, but... it got stolen. (stupid me)

Lun, Jun 21, 2015
  4. Lun

Connie858

I assume you have air conditioning? Few places I have been to that are that hot don't rely on air con. Laptops are no different in that aspect.
    I live in the UK and I suspect if it made it to that temperature the entire world would know about!

Connie858, Jun 21, 2015
  5. Lun

Lun

Yes we have ACs but still, when left alone in a room without air conditioning it could reach the 40s easily, and if you leave it on for downloads or background work without air conditioning, then you might as well put it on fire. When I received this laptop and took it out of the package, it was burning hot, I honestly think that might've caused the screen damage. Outside temperature was already 45 degrees and I received it at 1 PM... I presume it was in the delivery van for hours before. Also electricity isn't so cheap and ACs cost a lot, considering we use them everyday for almost 9 months of the year, excluding the winter. So we tend to avoid them when the temperature is tolerable. However it might still be high for the laptops. That might be a factor causing performance difference in hot climates, therefore starting the talking about HP laptops overheating, but I'm just speculating.

Lun, Jun 22, 2015
  6. Lun

Connie858

You may need to consider purchasing equipment more suited to hot environments. Toshiba do a rugged range designed to be dropped and abused and taken to 'extreme' environments - usually this is considered to be cold places, but I guess someone must have factored in hot environments as well. Laptops and the likes usually turn themselves off when they overheat. Servers certainly do which is why server rooms are usually so darn cold!

Connie858, Jun 22, 2015
  7. Lun

Lun

That's great to know considering I just found a Toshiba with an i5 and 8GB of ram for $370 only. I think I'll go for that.

Lun, Jun 23, 2015
  8. Lun

IcyBC

I have had two HP pavilion laptops, and both had over-heating problems. I ended up using the cooling pad for them, and it only helps a little. I called some stores and described my problem and they told me they will have to replace the heating fan or something like that in the computer. Once my laptop had the heating problem, it can't barely run anymore.

IcyBC, Jul 20, 2015
  9. Lun

Lun

Do you mind mentioning the exact models if possible?
    I actually asked more around about HP laptops and their overheating problems, it seems there are certain models that actually chronically suffer from this problem. Their newest models should be better in terms of that, as far as I heard.

Lun, Jul 21, 2015
  10. Lun

IcyBC

@Lun One of my HP laptop was no longer function and had been donated. My current one is HP Pavillion g4 -2169se with Intel Core i5, 4GB, 2.50 GHZ, 64 bit Window 7. This is only two years old, and already suffered over-heating for the last few months. I have been careful with this one, and used the cooling fan underneath, but still, it just gets too hot.

IcyBC, Jul 21, 2015
  11. Lun

IcyBC

@Lun One of my HP laptop was no longer function and had been donated. My current one is HP Pavillion g4 -2169se with Intel Core i5, 4GB, 2.50 GHZ, 64 bit Window 7. This is only two years old, and already suffered over-heating for the last few months. I have been careful with this one, and used the cooling fan underneath, but still, it just gets too hot.

IcyBC, Jul 21, 2015
  12. Lun

jamesbonner

You are right bro, I have HP 625 and I'm suffering from the overheating problem specially in the summer, that problem cause another problem which is the battery life, It goes down quickly when it start overheating.

Also those days I have big problem, The wi-fi is on but sometimes it just lose everything and doesn't detect anything :/ now I have to buy new one :(

jamesbonner, Jul 22, 2015
  13. Lun

mohamed samir

i'm from Egypt & my laptop had over-heating due to temperature ...what should i do for this problem?

mohamed samir, Aug 30, 2015
  14. Lun

Geozef

As a pc technician I always encounter the technical issue regarding the display problem of HP pavillion series. My always best solution for this is to reheat the VGA chips located beside the CPU chips. Lack of breathable distance between the two chips are the main cause of this trouble. We all know that CPU chips produces high density of heat. Add some thermal paste over the two chips after reheating then clean the CPU fan, be sure to remove the clogging cause by dirt in the CPU fan filter. EXTERNAL COOLING FAN MAY ALSO HELP TO PREVENT OVERHEATING.

Geozef, Aug 31, 2015
  15. Lun

thess

I've never heard of an overheating problem with HP. I've had mine though for about a year and now it's become sluggish at times. I don't know if it's because of what I've done on it, downloading apps, or what. But it should be able to keep up either way.

thess, Oct 29, 2015
  16. Lun

[F]allen_[A]ngel

I have an hp laptop got at the end of august 2015 and I use it pretty much everyday I do a lot of gaming and I haven't expirenced any issues with it so far the only problem I have is windows 10.
    I hate it so much I wish I could downgrade but my laptop came with windows 10 so I'm screwed!

[F]allen_[A]ngel, Feb 2, 2016
  17. Lun

Andorphin

I have an HP laptop as well and to be honest I haven't experienced much overheating. My brother plays games on it he hasn't complained about it until now. I've noticed certain heat when playing for much time but not going above 65-67ºC. I also use a dust spray to keep the dust out and the fans clean to prevent heating.

I think the only problem that I've experienced with HP is the difference in sound quality from Acer Aspire to this brand. I used to think that my old Acer Aspire used to have a better sound quality than my new HP.

Andorphin, Feb 2, 2016
  18. Lun

hellkat

The biggest problem for me is overheating. I have literally had it over a box with ice packs and a cooling tray and it still overheated to the point where it fried my hard drive. I got on the phone with HP and they actually told me that overheating was a common problem for HP laptops. I was furious. I think that's the main problem with these laptop brands. It also seems to happen shortly after the warranty expires, but that could just be me being paranoid.

hellkat, Mar 14, 2016
  19. Lun

hellkat

Exactly! Overheating to the point of hard drive failure in my case. The battery life does seem to be declining compared to the older models. It's like the more they advance the laptops, the more issues it has. I have also noticed it seems to happen right after the warranty expires. Mine failed to the point where it made every bit of my data unrecoverable.

hellkat, Mar 14, 2016
  20. Lun

nytegeek

I have never had an HP that overheated. I think there is more going on than what we are being told by the people saying they have overheating issues.

nytegeek, Mar 18, 2016
Ask a Question