Chrome no longer supports Vista

Discussion in 'Chrome OS' started by cluckeyo, May 9, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo

Google Chrome browser has announced that it no longer supports Vista. What does that mean for me as a Vista user. Will I continue to be able to use Chrome?

cluckeyo, May 9, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

Sefie

I don't use Vista, but since it's a OS and not just a simple software like Flash, I'd guess you will still be able to use Chrome, but you might encounter a couple little issues here and there from time to time.

Sefie, May 10, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

obliviousme

I do believe you can still use an older version of Chrome but since Chrome is constantly evolving like the rest of the browsers and I'm guessing Vista is no longer being updated by Microsoft, then it's to be expected that the newer components of Chrome will not work with Vista's somewhat outdated operating system.

obliviousme, May 10, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

nytegeek

No, Chrome was dropping support for Vista.

nytegeek, May 14, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

Corzhens

Our home desktop is running on Windows XP so I should know. Once Google Chrome is started, it issues a message about the updates that are not coming anymore because Chrome does not support Windows XP and Vista anymore. This is related to my thread on the life of a computer. When an OS becomes obsolete, that is a signal to upgrade because some software (and browsers too) are not supported anymore.

Corzhens, May 14, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

nytegeek

My point being, you won't get current releases or updates for Chrome and it will be less secure to use if you stick to an older version. You will also start to run into an inability to display certain content as standards change.

nytegeek, May 15, 2016
  7. cluckeyo

fcuco

Google chrome is notorious for dropping support for older operating systems and environments, this doesn't mean that chrome will stop working, it simply means that you will not get any updates. For older systems the only browser that's kept up to date and backwards compatible is the Firefox browser, so I strongly suggest you download and start using it.

Well, quite frankly, I think that you should update to at least Windows 7 though, Chrome is not the only thing that will be dropped for Vista soon.

fcuco, Jun 12, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. cluckeyo

GearZ

You can continue to use Chrome on Vista, but it will not be updated, and it will become less secure. Personally, I loathed Vista, so never used it beyond testing code at work. Still, if you use that OS, you might want to look for a supported browser.

GearZ, Jun 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and IcyBC like this.
  9. cluckeyo

UpgradeMe

^ This, vista was pretty nasty. I lucked out when I got my first PC - it was supposed to come with a free upgrade to vista, but the PC shop never gave me my info to get it. They went out of business, couldn't get it. XP it was :)

UpgradeMe, Jun 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  10. cluckeyo

nytegeek

There is absolutely no good reason for anybody that isn't bound by business ore education reasons to run Vista or XP. If people choose to I really have no sympathy for their compatibility issues. That said I still try to point them in the right direction security-wise for their platform if need be.

nytegeek, Jun 13, 2016
  11. cluckeyo

GearZ

True. There are some business operations that are dependent on legacy systems that require XP, but for the average user, there is no reason. And Vista was a train-wreck, so I don't know why anyone would voluntary subject themselves to that mess.

GearZ, Jun 18, 2016
  12. cluckeyo

nytegeek

Vista's biggest issue wasn't even something most users fully understood. Modern memory handling (using all available RAM and releasing it as needed) was no implemented properly in Vista. People still seem to be running around with the false free ram=faster idea stuck in their heads in part to the Vista debacle.

nytegeek, Jun 18, 2016
  13. cluckeyo

IcyBC

My daughter college notebook has Vista, and she is not using it anymore! She left it at home now for me, and once in a while I turned it on and got the notification that the OS isn't supported anymore; I am running a risk if I keep using it. Though it works just fine for me to use just to browse the internet. She also has Chrome browser on it. So I will get Firefox now.

IcyBC, Jun 19, 2016
  14. cluckeyo

nytegeek

You could switch browsers. That would work as a fix for one or a couple problems, but only in the short term. What you really should do if possible is upgrade your OS.

nytegeek, Jun 19, 2016
  15. cluckeyo

fcuco

I strongly recommend you update to at least Windows 7, Vista is not only obsolete but it runs poorly on low end hardware. I recently updated a desktop that came with windows Vista to Windows 7 and then to Windows 10 directly. While I don't recommend Windows 10 as much as Windows 7 at least it is much better than windows Vista. Eventually even if you go ahead and use Firefox you are going to have trouble with other software and the operating system itself.

fcuco, Jun 20, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and IcyBC like this.
  16. cluckeyo

nytegeek

The other thing to consider is that Firefox is still using NPAPI and is pretty broken when it comes to memory handling. Those two reasons should be enough to dissuade using it over Chrome instead of upgrading an OS. It boils down to poor security and poor performance.

nytegeek, Jun 20, 2016
  17. cluckeyo

IcyBC

Thank you to you both @fcuco and @nytegeek ! I will look into downloading Window 7.

IcyBC, Jun 22, 2016
  18. cluckeyo

costarica

continue using vista if you like it. when old opera 12 was finished, i still could operate on any website for 3 years, till I met new script websites, that did not support it.Chrome 33 is not supporting many websites right now. Chrome 40 support almost every website. So imagine, as the last version for vista was 49 o 50 (i do not use chrome) , you can still operate with this perfectly well for at least 2-4 years.

costarica, Jun 28, 2016
  19. cluckeyo

IBMPC8088

Vista was horrid. The only thing equally as bad was Win-ME.

XP was fine, and I still use it from time to time. I can make signatures and software run on it (unless they're using API calls that aren't a part of XP, but even then it can be partially or fully adapted similarly to how win32s was able to run Windows 95 programs over 3.11 but more complicated). I was using a 64 Bit version of XP on a bare metal system the other day and patching a few "windows 7 only" programs to run on it. Most 64-bit Windows 7 programs will run on XP still with few or no changes necessary, but some require patching.

There's nothing wrong with XP. The US Navy is still using it on submarines, and is still getting direct support from Microsoft for it to this day. Windows Vista however was a problem from day one, and should never have been released. They should have just waited for Windows 7 on that. That being said, the casual user who isn't using VMs, hex editors, or writing software may want to just go with Windows 7 or Linux to be on the safe side for everything that they want to use.

It used to be that people on computers were their own technical support, but it's understood that computer users and times are changing, so if you're on Vista now still or using a system that Chrome and other vendors claim they won't support anymore, you have the option of either running a virtual machine of an OS that they do support and software in that, or just changing over to one of the operating systems they won't try to shoehorn you off of for a while.. Win7 has support for the public for another 5 to 7 years, so you'll be ok with that for half a decade at least.

IBMPC8088, Jun 28, 2016
  20. cluckeyo

nytegeek

Terrible advice. I have one word for you. Security, or a lack thereof rather.

nytegeek, Jun 28, 2016
Ask a Question