Can't Log Onto Toshiba Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Rayzen, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Rayzen

Rayzen

Hi. I am trying to help my neighbor with her laptop (Satellite C655) which is running Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, 64-bit OS.
    She brought it to me, complaining that she couldn't log in, so I tried it and discovered that some of her keys weren't functioning. Of course, one of them (there were ten that weren't working) just happened to be a letter that is in her log-on password. So, I jumped to the conclusion that she simply had a bad keyboard, and after taking it out and blowing it out with compressed air, as well as cleaning the ribbon cable contacts with an eraser, it still did the same thing. Next, I just ordered a new keyboard. It came today and I installed it with high hopes, but was disappointed to see the same exact problem. Puzzling.
    Then, after doing a lot of researching online, I discovered that I could use the "Easy Access" option, seen down in the lower left corner, to turn on the virtual keyboard, and was then able to effectively bypass her keyboard, typed in her password successfully and got the computer to log in and boot up all the way. Although it was kind of a "work-around," and not really addressing the original problem, it worked and I was encouraged to have gotten at least that far.
    But now I had to try to find the real problem.
    I thought that maybe there was something wrong with her whole password function, and it would be better for her to just not use a password, since her laptop is her own, everybody else in the family has their own computer, and she never takes it out of the house. So I went to "Control Panel," then "User Accounts," then clicked on "Remove Your Password," then shut the computer down again.
    At this point, unfortunately, I can't remember the exact sequence of steps (misteps?) that I took which got me into hot water, but, as I remember, it still wasn't booting up normally, and I kept having to use the virtual keyboard to log in. And, besides, those ten keys were still not working, so obviously something was still amiss.
    After doing more searching on the internet, I read where others who could not get some of their keys to respond, finally got them to work again by unplugging their laptops, removing the battery, then holding the power button down for 60 seconds. So I tried that...and it worked.
    Now I had all of the keys responding like they should, but I also had a new, serious problem: I couldn't log in. In fact, I now can't do much of anything, since I'm presented with a blue, rectangular box in the middle of the screen that asks for my password. I have tried all kinds of passwords, such as her old password, "password," "admin," "administrator," etc., all to no avail.
    This all-black screen with a blue log-in box in the middle looks different than Windows normal, log-in screen, so I don't know what it really is. When I turn the laptop on, it starts to boot up and shows the Toshiba logo, as well as the options of pressing F2 and F12, but neither of those change anything, as I simply am faced again with the blue log-in box. After trying about four or five times, the laptop then just shuts itself off, assuming that I'm a hacker, I guess. I have tried putting in a Windows 7 repair disc, then turn on the computer, but only get the same result, the blue log-in window.
    Does anyone have any idea of what might have happened? How can I at least get back to the log-in screen where I can use the virtual keyboard? And why did it change all of a sudden?

Rayzen, Mar 22, 2015
  2. Rayzen

something back

I am unsure if you have not locked yourself out of the motherboard, sometimes the motherboard
    also holds a password,this could have been setup by either the owner, factory, or supplier.

Try removing the ram,then reinstall the same ram, sometimes static affects the ram.

Then “power on, and press f2 immediately” if you are fortunate it should allow you into
    the motherboard settings. You can check if the motherboard setting have a password invoked .

If you can get into the motherboard settings and no password is set then check if the harddrive is
    listed.

If everything is ok in the motherboard settings,then your problems are software related.

something back, Mar 22, 2015
  3. Rayzen

Rayzen

Hi "Something Back." Thank you for your help. Well, maybe you're onto something there, regarding the static, because that might explain why it happened right after I unplugged everything, then held the power switch down for a minute, wouldn't it? Just a wild guess. I'll give it a try. Thanks again for the idea.

Rayzen, Mar 22, 2015
  4. Rayzen

Brian8gbSSDLinux

You might like to make a Password recovery CD or USB stick from files on this website...
    http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

They need to be Unzipped then burned to CD/USB Stick first It boots into a DOS environment... (mostly) full instructions can be copied and printed out from the same page

The download files are way down near the bottom of the page... to make sure you read the How to Do it bits...

It has helped me on several occasions...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Mar 22, 2015
  5. Rayzen

Rayzen

Thanks Brian. I think that I will do that; sounds like a wise, precautionary step.

Rayzen, Mar 23, 2015
  6. Rayzen

Rayzen

Well, thanks to a helpful guy on another forum where I posted this problem, he guided me to a YouTube clip that showed me how to quickly and easily remove that BIOS password which suddenly popped up out of nowhere, so now her laptop is back to working fine. I took it over to her house, last night, and she was very happy. Thanks to all of you who spent time and trouble, offering help and suggestions; it was much appreciated.

I don't know how to mark this thread as being "solved," though; looked, but couldn't see that option.

Rayzen, Mar 23, 2015
  7. Rayzen

something back

If you could please list the YouTube site thanks

something back, Mar 23, 2015
  8. Rayzen

Rayzen

Sure, I hope it can help someone else, too:

Rayzen, Mar 23, 2015
Ask a Question