Can anyone recommend a free Windows firewall?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Kavon, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Kavon

Kavon

Can anyone recommend a good, free, and simple to use, Windows firewall? Also, it should be portable. By portable, I mean software that doesn't need to be installed. For some time, I've been using portable programs, and they seem to be very convenient.

I've been using Comodo, and it's really good. But I am looking for something smaller and simpler.

Kavon, Jul 22, 2016
  2. Kavon

IBMPC8088

Private Firewall from PrivacyWare is a good one for windows. It doesn't use too many resources or ram, and works better than most of the paid ones.

IBMPC8088, Jul 25, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. Kavon

Kavon

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at the site. The firewall looks pretty good. I'm going to download it. I had found another firewall called Tinywall, but this looks like a better one.

Kavon, Jul 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Kavon

IcyBC

I always thought that Firewall comes installed on the computer automatically. Now I know and learn something new.

IcyBC, Jul 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. Kavon

something back

Yes you can install another firewall program some antivirus programs have them within the programs.
    be careful not all firewall programs are the same some are great others may leave you open to attack.

something back, Jul 28, 2016
    IcyBC and IBMPC8088 like this.
  6. Kavon

obliviousme

I didn't know this as well. As far as i know, firewall is a built-in software from microsoft. I know it can be turned off but what i didn't know is that there are actually third party firewall softwares out there. I'm aware about antivirus of course but not firewall. This is interesting to know.

obliviousme, Aug 1, 2016
  7. Kavon

Kavon

Many years ago, Windows didn't have its own firewall. Then there was a huge demand from the community for them to add one, and Microsoft finally did it. But back then, the windows firewall seemed like it was not really a high-quality firewall. For example, doing security scans with the Windows firewall turned on showed vulnerabilities. I never really trusted the Windows firewall, and I think that most others don't trust it either. That's probably the reason why there is such extensive use of third-party firewalls amongst Windows users.

Kavon, Aug 9, 2016
Ask a Question