Buying Laptop Help

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Hayley, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Hayley

Hayley

I am looking for a budget laptop (under £400) that works well with video editing, especially with software such
    as Sony Vegas Pro. Nothing that has less then a 8GB ram and i5 processor.
    If anyone could give me any recommendations, that would be great. :)

Hayley, Feb 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Hayley

IBMPC8088

Hello Hayley,

Although I'm not too big on Toshiba laptops, if you are ok with one I did find a brand new system with all the specs you're looking for with a lot of hard drive space to go with it: 1TB. It has an Intel Core I5 CPU, 8GB of ram, and should run Sony Vegas Pro and other video editing programs really well. It's approximately $548 USD, which should be about 486 euros or 378 GBP depending on which currency you decide to use. There may be better manufacturers for you out there such as Asus or Dell if you are interested in them, but for the price and specs you wanted, this was the best I've seen this morning. You can get one here on Amazon. The ratings are between 4.5 to 5 out of 5 stars for it, so it looks like a pretty solid machine based on those who bought them.

Toshiba C55-B5356-Intel Core I5 Laptop 8GB RAM

There's a Toshiba Satellite with nearly the same specs for about $30 to $40 cheaper, but it's not nearly as good of a system, and users who bought the slightly cheaper one only rated it about 3 stars. If you need to keep it to about 430 euros, you could go with that one, but between the two I'd go with the Toshiba CS5 above.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088, Feb 13, 2016
  3. Hayley

Hayley

Hey thank you for your reply. I looked at this Toshiba, and it looks great for what I am looking for.
    However I have just recently been looking at the Toshiba Satellite C55-C5241 which was another recommendation.
    The specs on these are very similar, but was curious what you thought the better choice of the two would be.

Hayley, Feb 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Hayley

vinaya

You can try Toshiba or Dell.Both of these brands have laptops that can fulfill your requirements. If pricing is your main concern, you can also try Lenovo.Lenovo is a Chinese brand, but you can rely on these machines. What ever brand you choose, you should get a laptop that has long battery life, look for 12 cell battery powered laptop.

vinaya, Feb 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. Hayley

djtech

I think the two Toshiba laptops that you're looking at are very similar. So, it really comes down to what you'd prefer. They do have a long life.

djtech, Feb 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. Hayley

IBMPC8088

Your biggest differences between those two Toshiba models are going to be the type of Intel Core I5 that you get (there are different types of Core I3, Core I5, and Core I7 CPUs that are better suited to some processing tasks than others; you can see the difference with the revision number after the core type on the specs to compare them), the amount of processor cache (one has 3MB, the other 4MB cache) and burst speed. The other is the price difference between Windows 8 which comes on one and Windows 10 which comes on the other (you can get either one on both models, and this could be trivial if you plan to use Windows 10 with the upgrade anyway, or if you want to stay safe and replace it with Windows 7 or Linux) which is about $75 to $100 difference, and a few aesthetic changes to the case and the keys. Other than that, most of the specs and what they have are close enough that you can use either of these for what you want to do. I usually try to go for the best processor I can to not have to worry about upgrading it later in the future for longer, but that's just a personal preference on that. Between those two, I'd probably go with the B5356. Just a slightly better board, cpu and specs there. Either model should meet and exceed the needs that you listed.

IBMPC8088, Feb 14, 2016
    djtech likes this.
  7. Hayley

something back

Here's a CPU comparison site, some CPU's can be faster even though the model number may be a lesser
    number. an example some i5 CPU's can be more powerful the some i7 CPU's

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

something back, Feb 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. Hayley

Hayley

Thank you to everyone who replied. I'm going to go with the Toshiba Satelites as they have the specs I need for
    a price I can afford. :)

Hayley, Feb 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. Hayley

SALAH EDDINE ziari

Hello
    with this Budget i advise you to take a look at CHROMEBOOK (Toshiba) its very awesome :)

SALAH EDDINE ziari, Feb 14, 2016
  10. Hayley

IBMPC8088

No it's not. It's junk. Trying to run Sony Vegas Pro on an underpowered Junkbook (Chromebook?) with Wine (if it even lets you) with the limited hard drive space and no upgradeability on the ram for most models (if there's even enough forcibly soldered to the unit!) should not even be a joke or a punchline to recommend. A Google-controlled chromebook is the worst way to go even if they beefed up the ram, the cpu, the hard drive, and made it a rare unit that could be upgraded even slightly. Sorry, but I totally 100% disagree with that suggestion. It is not awesome, it's a glorified tablet if you're lucky. :p

IBMPC8088, Feb 15, 2016
    djtech and something back like this.
  11. Hayley

something back

I fully agree, YOU NEED A LAPTOP THAT YOU CAN USE that's not always tied to the internet.

something back, Feb 15, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  12. Hayley

djtech

Totally agree. The laptop needs to works well when it comes to video editing. A chromebook is only good if you're a surfer or a student, but not for something heavy such as video editing.

djtech, Feb 15, 2016
Ask a Question