Boot-up error message on Aspire One Linux O/S

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bladerunner832, Apr 2, 2012.

1. bladerunner832

bladerunner832

Hi there,

When I power on my Aspire One (runs the Linpus Lite operating system which I believe is based on Fedora 7) I receive the following error message:

"Error 2".

The boot-up process goes no further and the operating system never loads up.

Does anybody have any idea as to how this can be resolved without having to resort to using the recovery disk to wipe over the previous installation?

If this involves using boot-up recovery tools that run from a USB stick on system start-up, would somebody be able to let me know where they can be downloaded from?

If anybody can shed any light on the above, I'd be very grateful!

– bladerunner832

bladerunner832, Apr 2, 2012
  2. bladerunner832

blaa

it sounds like a grub boot loader error.
    https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manua ... leshooting

find an ISO (beware of gub2, you do not want grub2) your Linpus ISO would be good enough.

dd if=/dev/<your iso> of=/dev/<your USB drive>
    and boot from that.
    run grub-install see it that fixes the problem,
    failing that, use the usb drive to get into your data on the AA, and copy it t oa safe place,
    then ( check all your data is safe )
    reinstall .
    try to do it without reformatting your drive.
    If it works, good.
    else
    you install and reformat
    It that fails your SSD/HD is kaput. I had one with gunk on the SSD connector. wipe gunk off. mine worked again.
    I have also used a CF in an adapter as a replacement for a SSD. That was successful.

blaa, Apr 5, 2012
  3. bladerunner832

PCNetSpec

Error 2 is indeed an GRUB bootloader error message

Error 2 = "Selected disk doesn't exist"

I too would suggest you try a LiveUSB to see if you can access the SSD/HDD to backup your stuff then attempt a fix.

Though I'm not knocking the suggestion above, I'd be more inclined to make a LiveUSB in the more normal fashion than to use dd .. there's a reason dd is nicknamed Data Destroyer .. it's VERY easy to get the command "slightly" wrong, and it's VERY unforgiving ;)

See here:
    http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=10013.msg72726#msg72726

Running fsck from a LiveUSB might help .. or it could just be a GRUB boot stanza, or GRUB stage 1 issue .. though I too suspect it's more likely a failing/failed SSD/HDD

Last edited: May 10, 2012
    PCNetSpec, May 10, 2012
  4. bladerunner832

zardoz

I would suggest that you seriously consider dumping Linpus and install a much more up to date (and therefore security patched) version of Linux. Fedora 16 works fine, but so would recent versions of other Linux distros.

zardoz, May 13, 2012
Ask a Question