BIOS supervisor password

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mowat, Mar 20, 2009.

1. mowat

mowat

I have set a Bios supervisor password in my Acer aspire one A110 ( Linux -Linpus).
    My password looks like this : xx123456xxxxx ( 13 characters).
    Now the password prompt stops after entering 8 characters , and after 3 chances my system halts. Entering only the first 8 characters doesn't help.
    I'm 100 % sure I enter the right password.
    Is there a way to reset the bios or to enter the Bios ( F2) with a universal password ?

Thanks beforhand for your help.

mowat

mowat, Mar 20, 2009
  2. mowat

mowat

re: BIOS supervisor password

I tried everything I found on this forum .
    Capitals , only first 8 characters ...
    password is wl200647linux.
    I can only enter 8 characters and the cursor returns to the first position. I tried wl200647 , WL200647 , numbers with and without shift and /or shift Lock , I tried a 9th character ,even the last 8 characters of the password 647linux , nothing works.
    I am SURE I enter the right password.
    It only the BIOS pasword that fails , I can work on my laptop , but can not change my bios settings (for example startup with a CD)
    how can I enter and change that password ???

thanks for your help

mowat

mowat, Mar 20, 2009
  3. mowat

steven.chien

Hi!

I have the same experience. I have post it on this forum. I can share with you what I have done:

I entered the password in bios, when i press the button "tab", the character appeared! I thought this is a good idea to form the password, and i entered this in the confirm field, and i set the password. However, when I boot the computer, I am unable to enter the key "tab", I called acer, they said that I have to pay HK$300 to replace the BIOS. But this seems to be the bad software design by Acer, so I argue with them at the service center, finally, they didn't charge me the fee, but this cost me to leave my netbook for whole week!

On the internet, I found a way to flash the bios by creating a special usb disk, than press some buttons when the machine starts, but before the password prompt appear, you can search on the net. But this method is very dangerous and you may void the warranty. I think in this cast, you should bargain with Acer not to charge any fee, may be they will not charge you(like my case) Because it really isn't your mistake!

steven.chien, Mar 22, 2009
  4. mowat

mowat

Thank you for your answer , Steven.

I also found out on the net that I didn't make a mistake. It's a bug and acer is responsable for that.
    They have send me the crisis-disk to flash the bios , but I also think it's risky and I don't want to have problems with the warranty.

I try to visit the service center again.

thanks

mowat

mowat, Mar 22, 2009
  5. mowat

steven.chien

they sent you a crisis-disk to flash the bios? what is it? I have never heard of something like that! can you tell more about it?

steven.chien, Mar 22, 2009
  6. mowat

mowat

Hi Steven ,

they've sent me a zip ( name Crisi.zip)file , including 2 files tot reset the bios. The file names are FLASHIT.EXE and ZG5IA32.fd .
    It includes also the instructions how to flash (How to use the Crisi-disk on Acer Aspire One..)

1.Format a USB flash drive to FAT or FAT32.
    2.Copy the 2 files to the root of the USB
    3.Insert the USB drive into the Acer aspire One. Make sure that the acer is connected with the AC adapter (power supply)
    4.Press and hold the Fn key as well as the Esc key.While pressed also press the power-on button to start the system. When the system is powered on , you can release the power button.When the power led stops flashing you can release the Fn and the Esc key as well.
    5.The acer will now start the bios recovery procedure and the bios will be reflashed. This procedure will take about 3 to 7 minutes . In the meanwhile , DO NOT shutdown the acer.

Have a nice day

mowat

mowat, Mar 22, 2009
  7. mowat

mowat

mowat, Mar 22, 2009
  8. mowat

Lopploella

Hi mowat and everyone :)

Same thing happened to me, when I had made a password, so I did just like you have mentioned above - and also, on the Acer-Europe page that you linked too, one can get the latest BIOS upgrades (although, that took me several tries before it would actually work - but I've updated it to 3309 now, the latest I think). I used unetbootin to help me get it working correctly.

You can read about the procedure here:
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html
    (for both Linux and Windows users)

Lopploella, Mar 22, 2009
  9. mowat

steven.chien

Than you haven't locked the machine completely, as less you can boot it up with other drives.

steven.chien, Mar 23, 2009
  10. mowat

mowat

Hi Steven en Lopploella ,

my problem is solved , without flashing the bios.

I tried once again to enter with a possible password and I mentionned only the letters in capitals ,without the numbers.
    Password was : wl200647linux , and I entered now WLLINUX , and it worked.

now i do not have to take the risk of flashing the bios or to bring my acer back to the supplier.

thanks for your advice and help.

mowat

mowat, Mar 23, 2009
  11. mowat

steven.chien

WOW! such bug is really really big. The one I heard of was only that you have to enter letters in Capital letters, and special case line mine... but this one is really big!@##@* How can Acer ship their product with such big big bug! :twisted:

Which version of BIOS you are using?

steven.chien, Mar 24, 2009
  12. mowat

mowat

Hi Steven ,

my bios version is v. 3305

Mowat

mowat, Mar 24, 2009
Ask a Question