Best Linux Edition for Aspire One?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by radasil, Mar 28, 2011.

1. radasil

radasil

I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the best edition of Linux to install on the Aspire One.

I purchased a D150 model last year and recently replaced the WinXP OS with Fedora 14 (from LiveCD usb install). The install and configuration went exceedingly smooth compared to my attempt at loading CentOS 5.5. Fedora recognized all the hardware out of the box.

CentOS, on the other hand, was a real bear to install. Firstly, it was recommended to install over top of an existing Linux version (I had Fedora). Unfortunately, the Anaconda installer won't read from an ext4-formatted HD, so I had to load the image on a USB stick (FAT) and point the /boot/grub/menu.lst in the right direction.

I was able to get pointers from: http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Acer/Aspire-One

Once installed, I discovered that CentOS required extensive configuration to get ethernet and wireless working. The wiki was only partially helpful as they were basing their instructions on a different version of the Aspire One. I finally got ethernet working, but not wireless. Good enough to run updates and yum.

The next problem was the screen resolution. CentOS had a default of 800x600. I couldn't manage to get it to 1024x600, despite trying the GUI, the XOrg config tool,system-config-display, and xrandr.

At this point I gave up on CentOS and went back to Fedora.

Fedora 14 works very well on the Aspire One, but you should avoid CentOS unless you enjoy endless hours of troubleshooting configuration problems.

Any other experiences with different Linux editions?

[edit] I've just noticed an earlier post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7137&p=46865&hilit=centos#p46865
    dealing with the same topic.

radasil, Mar 28, 2011
  2. radasil

donec

The topic you referred to is an old topic. I am currently running Linux Mint 10 and it works very well with no modifications on my AAO ZG5 but on my D150 I had to paste some lines via the terminal to remove some code and then I had to install the additional drivers. Then everything works fine.

donec, Mar 29, 2011
  3. radasil

radasil

Thanks for your feedback. I would have run this as a poll: "Which Linux are you using?" but this forum doesn't do polls.

radasil, Mar 29, 2011
  4. radasil

tryptamine

I have been running Xubuntu 10.10 for some months now, and it works perfectly now that the kernel has been updated to include the driver for the ENE card reader (though with previous versions it could be compiled and loaded quite easily). Unfortunately, XFCE is still 4.6.x in the main Ubuntu branches, but the Natty (11.04) builds include 4.8.x, and it is similarly easy to compile and wrap up individual component releases into DEB's, which I have been doing every week with commits from the GIT repo. I have had no real issues at all, aside from the inevitable performance hits from Flash and videos, but I'm hoping my BCM970015 will alleviate those problems when it finally makes it way here.

If you try it and have any problems, please feel free to reply or PM me or make a new post and I will try to help as best I'm able. :)

tryptamine, Apr 4, 2011
  5. radasil

dmedell

I have been using LinuxMint now for 2 years. I am using version 11 currently. I can honestly say that everything has run beautifully right out of the box. I did have one glitch with the network manager which was easily resolved.

dmedell, Dec 16, 2011
Ask a Question