Aspire One with Boot 132 (RETAIL DVD INSTALL)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by seraph1024, Oct 24, 2008.

1. seraph1024

sandgrounder

Thanks to the OP for the step-by-step, it works great on my Aspire, but the link for the guide is now down... :cry:

I was hoping to use this on another machine as it it the clearest boot123 method I can find. Has anyone got a copy of the guide, or another link?
    Edit. :oops: Page is backup, though I've made an archive just in case!

It did'nt work for the other machine I wanted to try it on anyway, an old Dell that seems to need something other than the stock kernal anyway. Welcome to the world of the Hackintosh. Still my Aspire is almost everything I'd want in a small, cheap computer.

sandgrounder, Nov 14, 2008
  2. seraph1024

kakue

BIOS Update withount an operating system??

Hi,

I am really a Mac guy, so please be patient with me!
    I copied the contents of the folder BIOS update taken from files.zip to a USB-Flash drive.
    I formatted the flash drive in MS-DOS via the Mac OS X hard disk utility.

What do I need to start the acer aspire one from that drive?
    There is no operating system on it, right?

The screenshoot you presented, shows something like "FREE DOS", do I need it and where do I get it?

Thank you in advance!

kakue

kakue, Nov 15, 2008
  3. seraph1024

davidbrown2

Hi There, I've been hunting all over the place for my OSX Disk - I Find it finally and the sites down.... typical haha

Anyway, I've got a quick question - Are there any mirrors of the site out there?

Thanks in advance

davidbrown2, Nov 17, 2008
  4. seraph1024

pink

kakue:
    UNetbootin comes only in Windows or Linux flavors,
    so you should get the one that fits whatever OS is on your AAO.
    It assumes you (your AAO) are on the net and downloads whatever
    OS you have selected. It's only floppy size ~1MB. The boot system
    installs into a hidden A: drive which will boot the AAO.
    You can download the UNetbootin on your Mac and transfer
    it to the AAO with the USB stick for installing onto the stick.
    You can download the BIOS and flashing files on your Mac too
    and copy them straight onto the USB stick.

After the stick boots the AAO you must

cd c:

3305.bat

then you will get messages on progress, and eventually a reboot.
    If it all turns to custard you can use the method described at
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html
    Altho' I have to say when I used it after my first stuffup
    it restored to factory 3301 bios. ymmv

pink, Nov 17, 2008
  5. seraph1024

benmellors

Thanks for the guide!
    Works perfectly, i have done it twice now and both times were a sucess!
    I have previously installed both windows and xp but i prefer leopard.
    It runs smoother and faster!
    Just waiting for my wireless card to arrive!
    cheers!!

benmellors, Nov 17, 2008
  6. seraph1024

onlineaddy

The site in the OP is inaccessible. Anyone got a mirror?

onlineaddy, Nov 19, 2008
  7. seraph1024

pink

Me too :-(

I got the software package, & parts of 2 pages, but I must have missed some detail.
    As Boot-132 boots it flashes a brief message about not finding com.apple.boot.plist.
    Google found me only 3 others on the whole 'net with this message, and they too
    could not get the vanilla installer to move. The advice given in one forum was to
    ignore that msg, it has no effect. But those 3 guys got no answer abt Installer not running.

What is the CD hex key for AAO? I've seen for other h/w ppl using 81, 82, 90, 9F.
    If I hit escape (advice in one other forum) it always offers me 90, but then pressing
    Enter nothing happens for a while, then:

EBIOS read error: Drive not ready
    Block 0 Sectors 64

which gets repeated every 10 seconds until I power off.
    Pressing F8 immediately after (or before) Enter has no effect either....
    I've updated bios to 3305, cd drive is LG GP08, and the combo is OK to boot
    my AAO in Kubuntu 8.04, Fedora-F7, OpenSolarisIndiana, and the LG-GP08
    with a vanilla 10.5.0 Installer works on a white Macbook.
    The only possibility I am thinking is that I burned the Boot-132 with Toast Ti-7.1
    as a Copy: Disk Image to CD. This is known to wreck bootability on OS-X dvd,
    but I've got nothing else here that can recognise the .nrg

???

pink, Nov 21, 2008
  8. seraph1024

MacUser

As I remember 90 is for DVD boot and 80 or 81 for HDD. BUT you must boot with flag cpus=1, shortly after boot Dariwin press F8 and wrie. Thnen change plist: add <string>cpus=1</string>. Use for that bash and sudo nano.

MacUser, Nov 21, 2008
  9. seraph1024

pink

I've fixed a couple of possible errors, but still no go...
    Trying various 132.iso from around the net, got some "boot failed, checksum error"
    Google suggested this happens when BIOS flashing is not 100% successful.
    I went back and found I should format USB stick FAT32 in Windows on AAO,
    not as I had done in MacOS DiskUtility. Fixed this, flashed bios again with
    new d/l Unetbootin-win and new d/l bios pkg. Nope.

I found a suggestion that after boot-132 stops at the prompt, swap to vanilla Leopard,
    then wait until light stops flashing on CD drive before touching keybd. Nope. Enter -v or ?
    falls into a loop where it goes round and round between boot: andEnter two digit hex code:
    F8 gives me nothing.
    Enter ends up at EBIOS read error: device timeout or EBIOS read error: disk not ready.

I'm assuming my CD drive & AAO are not faulty since I can install and run WinXP, Kubuntu, Fedora, &c,
    but that wasn't the idea...

pink, Nov 22, 2008
  10. seraph1024

locutus2000

I have the same problem with my AAO, would love an answer as I'd like to switch to retail install when the hyperthreading problem has been fixed. (typing this on AAO with iATKOS 4i)

locutus2000, Nov 23, 2008
  11. seraph1024

zkfzkf

The original disc with dsmos.kext will boot if you add cpus=1.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?uwd9dtttjfk

I dont remember where I downloaded dsmos.kext, but installation works from Retail DVD/10.5.4.

zkfzkf, Nov 24, 2008
  12. seraph1024

bpme

So everything works on my SSD Aspire One...except boot! I still have to use the boot132 cd with an external drive to tell it to boot from the internal SSD. I think this is because Chameleon didn't install correctly, but stupidly I've deleted it. Does anyone have the Chameleon installer and associated files from seraph1024's .zip file?

The process I used was as follows. I include this as I did it after the guide went down. I am using an Aspire One ZG5 with 8GB SSD, upgraded to 1.5GB RAM and with a Dell 1390 Wifi card installed:

1. Image Leopard 10.5.4 installation DVD to 8GB USB flash drive using Disk Utility on OS X
    2. Burn the boot132 image to CD using nrg2iso and isoburn on Windows XP
    3. Update BIOS to 3305
    4. Boot Acer from external USB drive using boot132 with Leopard install flash drive inserted and USB mouse plugged in
    5. On the first boot132 screen, press enter
    6. On the second boot132 screen, choose 81 for second internal HDD
    7. Next, type cpus=1 and press enter
    8. Use Disk Utility from the Leopard install drive to partition the internal drive as one HFS+ partition with the GUID partitioning scheme
    9. Install OS X as an erase and install with no optional installs - this should leave you with about 200MB space!
    10. Once install had finished, boot Acer from external USB drive using boot132 with USB mouse plugged in
    11. On the first boot132 screen, press enter
    12. On the second boot132 screen, choose 80 for second internal HDD
    13. Next, type cpus=1 and press enter
    14. Set up OS X. Because I have the AirPort compatible Wifi card, this is dead easy.
    15. Before doing anything else, I needed to clear some space on my hard drive. I will cover this in another post, but in the end I went from less than 200MB to 1.6GB or free space by throwing away unneeded applications and files.
    16. Run Software Update and install all available updates. You will have to do this in several stages/reboots - there is not enough space to download them all at once. The 10.5.5 update will not install at all through software update - you will need to download this to an external/network drive as a standalone installer. Every time you reboot you will actually need to shut down and start up again using steps 10-13 above as I have been unable to install Chameleon successfully.
    17. Install the orange labelled kernel updates from http://www.mediafire.com/?vmwyyzdmh3y using kexthelper
    18. Repair Permissions on the internal drive using Disk Utility
    19. Install Imsomniax from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22211
    20. Enable root user from the Edit menu in Directory Utility
    21. Log out and log in as root, then edit the file at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist to add the text cpus=1 between the <string></string> tags after Kernel Flags.
    22. Shut down and start up using boot132 again.
    You now have a fully (well, fully as it can be with retail OS X!) working OS X Aspire One SSD with 1.32GB of spare space.

All I need to do now is get the Chameleon bootloader from seraph1024 installed and I won't have to boot from the boot132 cd. Can anyone help me with this? Please!?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for length...

bpme, Nov 24, 2008
  13. seraph1024

zkfzkf

Sorry, my english is bad and tutorial site was already dead when I installed OSX :/

chameleon can be found:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?nzrbuzjnyum

then I installed kext files from original boot 132 CD (with dsmos.kext) and kext's from Paul's package (video?). Audio and speedstep kext can be found from previous posts, but boot should work without those.

From the iAtkos thread:

First of all, download Paul's package, available here: http://content.modaco.net/paulswinddriv ... typack.zip

Using Paul's "Kext Utility", install all of Paul's .kexts EXCEPT ACPIBattery.kext AND RealtekR1000.kext. Drag'n'drop all 5 kexts to Kext Helper's window, so that you install them simultaneously, then reboot. If you install them one by one you're calling for trouble.

zkfzkf, Nov 24, 2008
  14. seraph1024

gjiro

gjiro, Dec 1, 2008
  15. seraph1024

overthis

I'm trying to install onto an external USB card reader with a 16G CompactFlash card. What would the hex value be for that drive?

overthis, Dec 16, 2008
  16. seraph1024

pink

If you mean you're installing onto a USB/flash then the hex value doesn't matter.
    If the drive is able to have OS-X installed it will show as an option when you get there.

If you mean you're installing from a USB/flash drive which has your Leopard installer image,
    then press F2 at the boot options screen after power on. Navigate to the boot options, right hand side,
    and use F5 (and or F6) to sort disks in this order:
    Boot-132 on top [80]
    Leopard installer 2nd [81]

Note: what you will see is the Device, or drive's HardwareDescription.I don't know how AAO handles the hex numbering beyond that, but it shouldn't matter 'cos those are the two you need.

If you enter a correct hex value at the selection screen you will get a little white box on the next boot options screen with the linux /dev/disk equivalent. eg. the boot-132 will show as [ hd0,1 ] being the first partition on disk0. Your Leopard installer if sorted as above will show [ hd1,2 ] being the second partition on disk1. It should also show the volume label, if any.

pink, Dec 17, 2008
  17. seraph1024

overthis

I used the default 90 to boot off my external DVD drive, and eventuallyI got to the screen that says
    hd(16,1) Mac OS X Install DVD
    I hit the -v, and then the installer looked like it was loading a bunch of files. It eventually just leaves me with a blank screen with the computer locked up ...

I redid the process again and used my camera to capture the text that flashed on the screen. It said,
    Errors encountered while starting up the computer
    Pausing 5 seconds ...

the screen turns black and smaller text spews onto the screen and then it locks up on a black screen. I'll have to make a better recording next time to read this smaller text.

overthis, Dec 18, 2008
  18. seraph1024

pink

Some ppl get the black locked screen, some get kernel panic dump, some get auto reboot

hit the cpus=1 -v
    That way you turn off hyperthreading in the Atom cpu.
    You can turn it back on later with the Voodoo kernel

pink, Dec 19, 2008
  19. seraph1024

overthis

OK, the "cpus=1 -v" worked, and I'm now staring at a purplish black galaxy desktop screen. It's been sitting here for a while with the spinning beachball. A few times, while waiting, I heard the DVD reading, so I figured I should be patient.

It's been 5+min now. Grr, I think it's frozen.

overthis, Dec 20, 2008
Ask a Question