Aspire One D255 - N550. Upgrade to Win7 x64 Bit edition.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by THM, Jan 1, 2011.

1. THM

THM

I have recently bought an Aspire one D255 with the N550 processor and upgraded the RAM to 2GB.

I am looking to upgrade from windows starter 32bit to home premium 64bit edition and I was wondering if any one had already done this? If so if there are any hints on how to do it? Any tips with regards to problems they encountered for instance with drivers etc? And also is it worth it?

Many Thanks
    Tom

THM, Jan 1, 2011
  2. THM

Swarvey Moderator

Unfortunately you can't just "upgrade" from an x86 (32bit) to x64 (64bit) OS.

What you're going to have to do is backup all your files and settings. Use the built-in Windows Easy Transfer system to back them all up to DVD or an external drive. You will also need a 64bit version of the OS you wish to use. You'll have to boot from the new 64bit installation media (most likely a DVD) and install from scratch. This may or may not disable your machines ability to use the factory restore, so make a set of recovery disks first.

Otherwise its as simple as backing up your files and settings, install the new OS from bootable media, obtain and install the drivers for your AAO and then restore your files and settings from the Windows Easy Transfer system.

Hope this helps.

Swarvey, Jan 1, 2011
Ask a Question