Aspire One AOA150 recovery freezes at 27/33...help?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by unclelobsterman, Jul 27, 2012.

1. unclelobsterman

unclelobsterman

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire One AOA150 I bought from an acquaintance that was in perfect working order but was muddled with extra software and junk I didn't want. Decided to do a factory restore from the recovery partition (I've done this many times before with this and other Acer Aspire One models). Everything was going fine until I looked down and saw the blue bar at the bottom showing:

"Progress: 27/33 Install Screen saver."

Fine, I thought, until I looked at it again 30 minutes later and it was displaying the same thing (with a frozen mouse pointer, too, and no hard drive activity on the LED, so totally unresponsive). I gave it another hour with no change and had no choice but to manually power down. When I restarted Windows XP loaded, I got what appeared to be a normal post-recovery desktop and then after a minute it resumed the recovery at the same 27/33 stage and the mouse pointer froze on the screen. It's now been another hour since I did this.

Has anyone encountered this problem and how did they deal with it? I'm wondering if I should try to stop the recovery after forcing it off and then on again and, if I do, where will I be? It appears that things are far enough down the recovery line that Windows will function OK if I can arrest the recovery process. I don't know what comprises steps 28 - 33 but if it's just drivers I assume I install then manually.

Thanks for any tips.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    unclelobsterman, Jul 27, 2012
  2. unclelobsterman

ryptyde

Fix that worked for me

Had the same problem with the reinstall process where the computer locks up and does not respond during the "screensaver install". I made a hard shutdown then restarted from the start switch and when Windows loaded and the Acer recovery started I gave Windows the good old "three finger salute" Ctrl>Alt>Del and the task manager appeared and I saw that "AlaunchX" was running and hit the "End Task" button to kill it but that didn't work as Windows locked up again.

So I had an idea that to use a Linux "livecd/liveusb" and booted up the aao from that and when the live Linux operating system loaded opened the file manager. The Windows XP install showed up as "Acer" in the file manager. Mounted "Acer" then navigated to Acer/Preload/Command/AlaunchX/. There you will see "AlaunchX.exe" rename it to something like "AlaunchX.exe.orig". Exit and unmount Acer then reboot the AAO and Windows should load normally.

ryptyde

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    ryptyde, Sep 16, 2012
  3. unclelobsterman

sudanec

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    sudanec, Mar 22, 2015
Ask a Question