Aspire 1 as gateway/router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bernies, Dec 8, 2008.

1. bernies

bernies

Ok, this is the situation - I have a desktop PC without a wifi card, in a separate room to our router and modem. I'm only here temporarily so don't want to string cables around. We have a wireless network setup, and I can access the internet from my Aspire 1 through the wifi connection no problems. What I want to do is connect my PC to my Aspire 1 with a crossover cable, and use the notebook sort of like a router to access the internet through the wifi connection. In Windows terms, I believe this is called internet connection sharing or such like, and can be done in XP by creating a bridge. Is it easy to do this with Linpus? I have connected my PC to my notebook, but I can't even get them to ping each other. No doubt it is a TCP/IP setup problem (I don't have a DHCP server on either machine), but I can't get it figured out. Can someone help me out with this? The desktop PC is running Windows XP Home.
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Bernie

bernies, Dec 8, 2008
  2. bernies

WpgCameraMan

Buy a cheap WiFi USB stick from DealX or a local shop. $20 can get you something. Don't mess with cables and sharing, means your Acer will always have to be on, and that just takes up more power and shortens it's life span.

WpgCameraMan, Dec 10, 2008
  3. bernies

protoculture

router for xbox 360

I too would like to know how to do this.....for for mac mini and also for my xbox 360.

Its called Internet Connection Sharing in windows language....is it possible to do with Linpus?

protoculture, May 30, 2009
Ask a Question