Are you still using XP?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Corzhens, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

Is there anyone here who still uses Windows XP? Our home desktop is running on Windows XP. We had upgraded it to Windows 7 some 2 years ago but some old programs wouldn't run properly. After a thorough testing, we had to revert to XP so we can still make use of the old programs particularly the software for making music.

I am posting this thread because I want to know if you have old programs which run on XP and is also running on Windows 7.

Corzhens, Jul 25, 2016
  2. Corzhens

IcyBC

I believe my daughter netbook is still using this, but she is now into Chromebook. I am thinking of installing Chrome OS on it once I figured out how to do it, or have someone does it correctly for me to use as a back up!

IcyBC, Jul 25, 2016
  3. Corzhens

vinaya

Actually, I have never used XP. I use Windows 7. I briefly used Windows 8 but never used Windows 10. I began with Windows 98.

vinaya, Jul 25, 2016
  4. Corzhens

IBMPC8088

Still use XP all the time in a box on a virtual system. I may have a system here that has XP natively on it, but it's either a test system or an older development system for compatability. It's been years since I've used it on a real machine, but it's still useful in a virtual machine all the time.

Btw Vinaya, are you serious that you've never used XP before?

IBMPC8088, Jul 28, 2016
  5. Corzhens

obliviousme

It's been awhile since i last used a computer running an XP. Microsoft stopped the XP support so I thought everyone moved on from this OS. I did love xp, it's very stable but looking back now, it's interface looks very amateur and could really use an improvement. But overall, it was a great OS.

obliviousme, Aug 1, 2016
  6. Corzhens

Fuzyon

There are some old computers at my job that are only there for information storage, they still use XP on these even though I tried to upgrade to at least Windows 7. They say XP gets the job done but they're unaware of all the security issues, Microsoft doesn't support XP anymore so it's really risky.

Fuzyon, Aug 3, 2016
  7. Corzhens

SirJoe

I still have the windows XP iso, so when ever I need to do some tests with a lighter operating system I can use it. I prefer using windows 7 but if I have various operating systems running at the same time and they are eating at my resources I will run at least one virtual machines with windows XP.

SirJoe, Aug 6, 2016
  8. Corzhens

GearZ

Funny you mention it. There are at least two actively used workstations at my office running XP. Both are used for some legacy stuff that will not, or at least not well, run on Windows 7 or newer. They are, however, the exception to the rule.

GearZ, Aug 7, 2016
  9. Corzhens

Joel7050

My local printing shop actually still uses a very ancient laptop. It has a pentium core and was made for 98, "XP compatible". However it was recently updated to Windows 7 Basic and is only used to open files in thumbdrives for printing.

Joel7050, Aug 12, 2016
  10. Corzhens

SirJoe

I normally don't find it such a good idea to upgrade an old computer to a new windows operating system, it eats up more resources then the old one. I would much prefer to upgrade to a linux operating system, it will be more modern and free up a lot of the resources.

SirJoe, Aug 12, 2016
  11. Corzhens

Joel7050

I mentioned that it is Basic. by Basic, I seriously mean extremely basic. There is limited, if any, internet access, little or no background processes, no spellcheck, none of those complicated features except the truly basic features such as opening programs, sensing clicks, and such. There is no wallpaper, just a blue background, and even the special effects from hovering over an icon are removed. The start button itself is squarish. It's simply an OS meant to make the computer work and do its thing.

Joel7050, Aug 13, 2016
  12. Corzhens

acerme2

Our HP all-in-one printer (printer/scanner/photocopier) which we bought way back in 2008 only works on XP OS so as long as it's working, we're going to use our Pentium D desktop with XP installed. This is just fine because my mom liked to play the old Starcraft game which won't install on our new computer. We don't use it to access the internet anyway so lack of Microsoft support won't be significant.

acerme2, Aug 15, 2016
  13. Corzhens

SirJoe

This is a good idea, a lot of people normally rush out to get the latest version of windows and install it on there computer just to find that their computer doesn't perform as well and becomes much slower. If you want to install a more recent operating system I would rather suggest a light version of Linux, your computer will run even faster then it does with Windows XP.

SirJoe, Aug 15, 2016
  14. Corzhens

SirJoe

Then it most certainly must be super fast even if the computer is old. If you want to have more features but still want to keep it as light as possible there is puppy Linux. Minimum specs for puppy 4.1.2 is 233MHZ CPU, 128MB ram, and a 512MB hard drive. This will give you an up to date OS that can do practically anything a modern OS can do without having to force it to save resources, it will even run libreoffice.

SirJoe, Aug 15, 2016
  15. Corzhens

Sefie

I don't, but I know a couple people who do. Actually there are some schools in my city (where I used to live before moving to the Netherlands) that still use it. I'm talking about some universities and high schools, as well as some elementary schools. So is not as weird as one would think, some people are still using Windows XP :)

Sefie, Aug 18, 2016
  16. Corzhens

rz3300

That seems a little foolish at this point, but I suppose there are people out there who go by the same little motto that I use - "if it ain't broke don't fix it", so if XP is still working, then why change it. I cannot remember how long it has been since I have even seen it, but I suppose it has all you need. Interesting to think about, and thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Aug 18, 2016
  17. Corzhens

gwood

I have to use it from time to time. I am a web developer and some of the projects still requires testing on XP and IE. Though it is not as prevalent as it used to be but I do still need XP occasionally.I don't have a system dedicated to it though. I have it installed in VirtualBox along with few other testing environments.So, I don't use it for my day to day need, but I need to work on it from time to time.

gwood, Aug 26, 2016
  18. Corzhens

fcuco

For a time I was into the Dance Dance Revolution type of games and I have a metal dance pad, it was pretty expensive and it only works in Windows XP as the vendor went out of business and there are not newer drivers, so I am stuck using windows XP on this machine that I use to play this game. I've been seriously thinking about the idea of writing a driver for this controller, I don't know how complicated it could be and if it is even possible to do it without input from the vendor and by simply reverse engineering the thing.

fcuco, Sep 2, 2016
  19. Corzhens

BlueText

My mom lost her copy of her XP and had to convert to Microsoft 7 or 8 and she hates it. She hates that app like structure on her laptop and misses the old style where everything was at the bottom and easy to find. I've tried to get on her laptop but I can't find anything on it, it's very disorienting. I don't know how anyone gets anything done.

BlueText, Sep 2, 2016
Ask a Question