Are you ready do ditch your laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by CrashTester, Jul 21, 2014.

1. CrashTester

CrashTester

Has anyone here opted to give up their laptop in favour of using a tablet device? Are you able to do everything you want and need to on your tablet device?

Personally I don't find the tablet experience anywhere near as good as using my laptop, there are things I do on a day to day basis that I simply cannot do equally as well on a tablet.

I often find the tablet experience clunky and frustrating - typing anything other than a few lines on a tablet can be an utterly painful experience and more often than not I find myself not bothering.

What do you think - are you ready to ditch your laptop?

CrashTester, Jul 21, 2014
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. CrashTester

mopli

I don't think a tablet will ever replace a laptop or a desktop for that matter. Yes, the technology with which tablets are developed are getting better and better, but so does the technology for laptops and PC's in general. Apart from the ease with which you can use a tablet, there are no pro's that the laptop doesn't have. So I'd definitely stay with laptops.

mopli, Jan 11, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. CrashTester

IcyBC

Oh no way I can ditch my laptop!! You have to dig it out from my dead body, LOL. I have an iPad, but I only use it to watch shows from TV. I can't fully function on my iPad and prefer a bigger screen to do things.

Tablet is great for traveling and uses for entertaining. I like both but I am only comfortable using laptop for serious work.

IcyBC, Jan 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. CrashTester

djtech

Nope. Not yet. A laptop is more convenient than a desktop and more functional than a tablet. Its the right kind of size too. So I am not ready to ditch my lappy.

djtech, Jan 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. CrashTester

Pablo Diaz

No, never! I use my tablet as a sort of "companion" for my laptop. I use it to take notes with OneNote when I'm in class and for light web browsing when I'm not in a place where I could get my laptop out. But for more intensive tasks a laptop (a powerful one) is a must. Even when web browsing my tablet slows down a bit, which could infuriating if the tablet was my main device.

So, to answer your question, no. I wouldn't ditch my laptop for a tablet as they are not up to par. Mybe when the tablets get upgraded hardware I might consider it for the added protability, but as of now, no.

Pablo Diaz, Feb 21, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. CrashTester

Corzhens

Maybe I can surrender my laptop for the desktop - I had a desktop in the office for so many years until I was issued a laptop 2 years ago when I was assigned to different offices. But with a tablet? I am not comfortable with the tablet - I had 2 tablets before - maybe because of my orientation with the Windows OS. My difficulty in the tablet is the accessing of files particularly the spreadsheet and document files.

Corzhens, Feb 21, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. CrashTester

FMW

I haven't figured a single reason to own a tablet. I've thought about buying one for the hell of it but it just doesn't make sense for me.

FMW, Feb 22, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. CrashTester

IBMPC8088

To put it as lightly and mildly as I can, it would be a cold day in hell before I ever gave up my laptop for an underpowered and inconvenient tablet or hackable mobile device of any kind. There isn't any tablet or mobile device that does even a quarter of what I expect and need my laptops and desktops to do on a daily basis, and even if I were a consumer rather than an engineer I simply wouldn't subject myself to what they are doing to the masses with mobile technology currently to where they've made them intentionally insecure.

I'm ready to ditch mobile devices and go back to using a laptop or desktop exclusively, but never the other way around. The convenience of being able to carry it easily does not outweigh functionality, use, development, security, speed, upgradeability, or any other factors which are the most important things both to me and to various other developers and users alike when it comes to what is desired on a day-to-day basis.

Mobile devices always have their place, but it won't be as a replacement for what I'm doing or what others do. If anything, it would be a compromise and a loss.

IBMPC8088, Feb 25, 2016
    djtech likes this.
  9. CrashTester

fcuco

Not for any type of professional or content creating job, even if or when all programs eventually move to the cloud and everything is done via the Browser. We are not even remotely close to that yet no matter what people say.

fcuco, Feb 26, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  10. CrashTester

rz3300

I am certainly not ready to do that quite yet, but I do have to say that my mother uses her tablet for everything and since she has the little keyboard it is essentially the same thing, but much more portable, which is always something that I consider when thinking about what device to use. I can see someday soon me making the switch, but it might take an improvement in those keyboards for me because they are still a little too small for my liking.

rz3300, Feb 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  11. CrashTester

Pablo Diaz

I am. I ordered a Razer Blade to upgrade from my Dell Precision laptop. It is missing some of the keys, the battery doesn't hold a charge (and I can't remove the battery so I can't replace it), it is also out of warranty and it's 4 years old. I'm really looking forward to the day the razer blade arrives. I'll take care of it like if it was my baby haha. I'll also be able to play newer games (something I currently can't do as my actual laptop doesn't have the power to do so) which makes me really happy.

Pablo Diaz, Mar 3, 2016
  12. CrashTester

vinaya

I am willing to ditch my laptop, however, I am not ditching it for tablet.I am ditching my laptop because I have been using this laptop since six years and it has many problems such as over heating, fan making noise, keys on the keyboard missing, CD driver not working etc, I want to buy a new laptop.

vinaya, Mar 11, 2016
Ask a Question