Are Alienware Computers Worth It?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by LindaKay, Jan 23, 2014.

1. LindaKay

LindaKay

My brother is an avid gamer, and he wants to get an Alienware computer.

I agree that the specs are impressive and that they look nice.

But they are very expensive!

Have any of you guys ever owned an Alienware computer? Do you think they are worth the money?

LindaKay, Jan 23, 2014
  2. LindaKay

elPaulio Moderator

One of the guys at my work has had a few Alienwares, with his most recent acquisition being at Christmas there.
    They are very impressive and play games well but I would personally stick to a high powered desktop for gaming and a laptop for portable computing and older games (if using an i5/i7 laptop for example).

Hist first Alienware had to be replaced a few times due to poor workmanship but other than that I don't think he's had many problems but the biggest issue I can see is it is still a laptop and upgrading hardware will still be difficult at best so you're paying more than a desktop for something that is state of the art now but out of date tomorrow with no way of improving it.

Paul

elPaulio, Jan 24, 2014
  3. LindaKay

LindaKay

Yikes. If you can't upgrade them, then I wouldn't mess with it. He's always playing online games and needs the newest and greatest technology pretty much all the time.

LindaKay, Jan 28, 2014
  4. LindaKay

NeroFerk

I say they are not worth it because there are computers that do the same thing as alienware and are way cheaper. I think Asus is the cheapest thing to get and has better cpu and stuff.

NeroFerk, Feb 25, 2014
  5. LindaKay

sparkblade14

What is Alienware the best at though? I know it's mainly a gaming computer because I see it on ads a lot. But is it any better than the average gaming laptop/computer? It seems so expensive and before this thread I didn't know you couldn't upgrade the parts.

sparkblade14, Mar 5, 2014
  6. LindaKay

tygh12

It is certainly one of the best gaming laptops, but its price is devastatingly high. You can get other computers that are just a BIT worse for way less. Its graphics and core are very good, at a cost. If you have a lot of money to spend, you should get this.

tygh12, Mar 31, 2014
  7. LindaKay

useruser

I don't think that Alienware computers are worth it. I agree with you, Alienware's are way too overpriced. You should look around the internet for alternatives.

useruser, Apr 14, 2014
  8. LindaKay

mikelouis

Alienware are only important for those people that love to game but if you just want a utility machine then there is no need to go for it.

mikelouis, Apr 15, 2014
  9. LindaKay

Jake Blazsek

Ok Alienware's are expensive because they use high end components. An Asus, MSI or Alienware are going to be around the same price for equal components. My Alienware 18 was discontinued as they redesigned their 2015 models. MY 18 has SLI graphics 2 Nvidia 960's. It has the capability of 4 drives if you remove the optical drive and 3 with the optical. It has a MSATA slot for a MSATA SSD and 2 other HD slots. One advantage of Alienware is it one of the most upgradeable laptops out there. Mine I can upgrade graphics cards, Processor, Memory (up to 32) , drives, wireless card.

The 2015 Alienwares (13", 15" and 17") are redesigned with most components not upgrade able as the soldered to the mobo. The new design is thinner and they sell a graphics amplifier that plugs into laptop and has a desktop graphics cards (you can select from i believe 3 cards) that can use the laptop screen or another screen. This moves the heat outside the laptop and this is why the new models are thinner.

Jake Blazsek, Apr 23, 2015
  10. LindaKay

Jake Blazsek

Alienwares are priced by how they are configured they start with a Nvidia 960 to the most powerful 980. My model has the last generation 860. For me to go to the 880 is was like 1000 but it's that way for all brand the MSI Titan with SLI graphics and the new metal keyboard isn't available under 3000.

Jake Blazsek, Apr 23, 2015
  11. LindaKay

CDNJester

There are many great Gaming Laptops. Alienware was once great, but since seen its quality fall really hard. Look at Clevo systems (Eurocom/Origin/Malibal) they are great durable machines that can get upgraded as time goes on.

CDNJester, May 8, 2015
  12. LindaKay

Lun

Overpriced for the brand alone. It is extremely powerful, but whether it's worth it or not depends extremely on what you need it for. Do you really need a portable gaming laptop? Wouldn't an amazing gaming desktop that costs $1000 paired with a $600-700 with a bit older dedicated card be a better choice? For me, it would. I don't need to game on the go. I actually prefer not to, I prefer gaming in the comfort of my own home and just use my laptop for casual games whenever I find myself needing to. It's really bound to personal preference at the end, but I really see no point personally in spending so much money on an Alienware. Same for gaming laptops from MSI and other manufacturers.

Lun, Jul 19, 2015
  13. LindaKay

IcyBC

I agree, Alien laptop is very impressive and expensive. My son loves playing game and ask for Alien laptop as a present for both his birthday and Christmas. We went looking, and I just had to say no. I think it is over-priced.

IcyBC, Jul 20, 2015
  14. LindaKay

Zalaria

I agree that Alienware laptops are very expensive (their cheapest is set at $999). I'm sure thy would make great gaming laptops, but there are other laptops that do the same thing, at much lower prices. It all depends on your gaming needs too. I don't need the latest graphics or most powerful processors, as I'm just a casual gamer for not-so-intensive games.

Zalaria, Aug 7, 2015
  15. LindaKay

CDNJester

CDNJester, Aug 12, 2015
  16. LindaKay

Diane Lane

The price is out of the question for me, and I wouldn't need this type of system anyway. I'm sure it would be worth the price to have this type of laptop for someone who not only likes to game, but games for a living. If I were someone who developed games and kept up with all of the top of the line developments and programs in the field, I would probably consider investing in something like this. Of course, if that were the case, I would also be able to write off the investment.

Diane Lane, Oct 3, 2015
  17. LindaKay

Jake Blazsek

Well if you get a MSI, Asus or Alienware they will be about the same cost for the same configurations. You get what you pay for. I have an Alienware 18". It has i7 that is upgradeable, Nvidia 870 SLI graphics (2 cards) I can upgrade to 880, I have 1 tb SSD with 1 TB HD and 1 750 GB hd. ( upgraded it came with 256 gb SSS and 1 TB HD). It's capable of 32 gb of ram mine has 16. it has 3 fans and case is one of the best for air flow when gaming. I don't game I just buy powerful machines. If you get a fully loaded MSI, Asus or Alienware they will approach 4000.

Jake Blazsek, Oct 4, 2015
  18. LindaKay

Jake Blazsek

Jake Blazsek, Oct 4, 2015
  19. LindaKay

Ishmael

Usually if people can afford them they don't really care if they're overpriced. They're good computers and they can also be upgraded kind of, depends from the model I think.

Ishmael, Dec 5, 2015
  20. LindaKay

Jake Blazsek

Well I have the Alienware 18 and it has 2 Nvidia SLI graphics. There is only 1 other 18" screen laptop and it's the MSI Titan which starts at over 3000. Alienware discontinued the 18 with it's new 2015 models and released a 13", 15" and 17" for 2015 which aren't upgradeable. People complained that the 18 was discontinued and Dell listened and brought it back out in mid 2015. My model is 2013 with a 4th generation processor. The 2015 18 now comes with the 970 or 980 Nvidia and mine has the 800 series Nvidia.

But answering the original question is you get what you pay for and the most powerful gaming machines offer the desktop processors with the Nvidia's 970 or 980. SLI is dual cards which can add 1000.00 to the price of the laptop. Gaming machines are big and need lots of airflow to keep the powerful processor cooler. Also most gaming machines are more upgradeable than non gaming. My machine is capable of having 4 drives if you remove the optical drive. So the better the graphics the better the gaming. A hard core gamer won't go with anything less than a 980.

Jake Blazsek, Dec 6, 2015
Ask a Question