Any reason not to upgrade to El Capitan (10.11.2)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by GearZ, Dec 9, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ

So I have been putting off upgrading my Mac OS X from 10.7.5 to 10.11.2 for a while now, but an app I want to install requires a newer version. Question: Is there any reason not to upgrade to 10.11.2 as of now? Any known issues? I'm not turning up any via Google, but I thought I'd toss it out there.

Thanks all.

GearZ, Dec 9, 2015
  2. GearZ

Marla013

Hello! I have recently updated my OS to El Capitan. If you have read some of the comments on the App Store, it may give you a scare. On my part, however, it took about 4 hours of download and less than an hour of installation. I was really worried that it won't work, and I haven't backed up my files. In the end, it was successful. I couldn't say I have noticed any dramatic change but my Mac seemed to run a bit faster than before. Maybe it is because of the new OS because I have not cleaned up in a while.

If you need that app you're saying, I don't think you have to worry about updating. I have no issues so far. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Marla013, Jan 5, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. GearZ

IcyBC

I brought up this same question before in another thread without any answer: http://www.laptop-forums.com/threads/has-anyone-updated-to-os-x-el-capitan.25318/

My brother in-law finally told me that he updated his MacBook to OS X El Capitan for about two months now, and see no difference in term of daily uses. I haven't updated mine yet since I really hate fooling around with learning where everything will be afterward. Let me know if you do!

IcyBC, Jan 6, 2016
  4. GearZ

Marla013

I would have to agree with your brother-in-law. It's been almost a month now since I have updated. The good news is, so far, I have experienced no negative issues. The not-so-good, there's not much difference.

With regards the "fooling around", this is my first time using a MacBook and I was scared even just changing the username. If it was a PC, I would have done a lot of overhauling with it and would not be bothered at all. But I don't think my MacBook would need any drastic changes as far as the performance goes.

One more thing, back up your files before updating your OS, should anything happen.

Marla013, Jan 14, 2016
  5. GearZ

IcyBC

Technically, I know very little about computer and this scare me when there is updating or upgrading. I haven't decided if I want to do this yet. If it is the same, then why upgrade? Right now, my MacBook is setting up perfectly for my own using and I am comfortable with it.

Maybe when they are forcing us to upgrade, then I will! Thanks for the tip about back up files!

IcyBC, Jan 14, 2016
  6. GearZ

GearZ

Thanks all for the feedback. I went ahead and upgraded. There were a few minor bumps, but nothing terrible. The UI is slightly different, but not jarringly so. I can run newer apps fine too.

GearZ, Feb 1, 2016
  7. GearZ

IcyBC

Do you like it so far? What kind of "minor bumps" have you experienced? This is the kind of thing that keeps me standing back. I am also very new to Apple products and not comfortable with their OS and all I know is to load the page and either read or working on the sites.

IcyBC, Feb 2, 2016
  8. GearZ

GearZ

The minor bumps weren't anything serious. The install took a little longer than I thought and I had to upgrade at least a couple apps to a later version to get them to work. As OS upgrades go, it was pretty darn smooth.

GearZ, Feb 2, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. GearZ

fcuco

My MacBooks is now several years old, I was still able to upgrade to El Capitan and for the first time ever in so may years I am getting random restart with that dreaded message that the computer encountered a problem and has to be restarted, in like, 5 years, my Mac had only hanged once, now I get a daily restart at least. If you already have Yosemite I see no reason to upgrade to El Capitan, I am still trying to realize what it is exactly that this new OS brings to the table because it looks exactly to Yosemite

fcuco, Mar 10, 2016
Ask a Question