Adobe explains how space images are 'Photoshopped'

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Sefie, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

So, I might have been a bit naive, bit I really thought the space pictures were the only ones that weren't so retouched... well, I was wrong!

''It's not exactly a secret that those glorious space images NASA and other space agencies release go through extensive "Photoshopping," just like magazines and billboard ads. Now, Adobe has explained what exactly happens during the post-processing stage in its latest blog post. First of all, the person who does the retouching can't be an ordinary graphic designer: it usually has to be an astronomer. That's because they have to be able to interpret raw data and differentiate image artifacts that need to be erased from vague planets and cloudy nebulae, among other celestial bodies.

One of these astronomers is Robert Hurt from Caltech, who explains that his work begins with "raw grayscale data from different parts of the infrared spectrum." He amps up the contrast to bring out the most interesting features and gets rid of any artifact that shouldn't be there. After that, he translates "infrared colors," which are invisible to the naked eye into colors we can actually see. He also layers photos and data from different telescopes (such as Hubble and Spitzer) sometimes to create a more vivid and accurate image. Take for example, his work on the Orion Nebula below:

[​IMG]''

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/29/space-images-photoshop/

Sefie, Sep 29, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

No wonder why those space photos are out of this world gorgeous, amazing and excellent! I really hope that some pictures are just in their raw stage without so much photoshop added, but then we still can't tell which one is which.

IcyBC, Sep 30, 2015
    Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Sefie

Diane Lane

I also had no idea they were photoshopped. Although they're gorgeous, I'd rather see them raw, since I'll never have the opportunity to sit up there and look around. I'd prefer to see things as they are, not as they are altered.

Diane Lane, Oct 1, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  4. Sefie

IcyBC

Me too @Diane Lane to see things as they are in their own natural settings and surrounding. I don't even want to turn my color photo to black and white either. I want to see all colors as it is in real life.

IcyBC, Oct 1, 2015
  5. Sefie

Sefie

Yes, I was a bit disappointed when I found out about this to be honest :( I guess it was a bit naive of me to think all those colors and light was really there. I'd also like to see the raw version :)

Sefie, Oct 1, 2015
Ask a Question