Acer One Mail : am I the only one to use it?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rjm, Sep 14, 2008.

1. rjm

rjm

The only reference to this app I could find on the forum is about replacing it with Thunderbird.

While it isn't any more functional than any other mail software, its set up by default pretty much the way I would use it .. as a temporary, rolling snapshot of several accounts, that get updated when you are online, and you can look at and reply to at your leasure when you are offline. It by default leaves the email on the server (good), and deletes mail older than 1 week from the local copy (also good). It also has a convenient RSS reader. The semi-automated way it adds account info is a nice touch.

The main complaint I have is that despite being a custom Acer app presumably just for the A1, it is not designed to make efficient use of the 1024x600 resolution. The worst offender is the compose email window: three rows of huge buttons with text and images take up literally the top half of the screen, with no option to change the icon size or any kind of full screen setting. Useless.

rjm, Sep 14, 2008
  2. rjm

Grim Squeaker

I quite like the app, but it lacks essential functionality I need - like being able to import my address book. While thunderbird does not do that perfectly, it at least is willing to try...

Grim Squeaker, Sep 14, 2008
  3. rjm

SnowboardVicky

I'm using it too. I'm only using it to check my 'home' email so we're not talking a lot of volume, but it's as good as my plusnet webmail.
    I've downloaded evolution , but yet gone through the wizard setup. My partner need to be able to access ms servers (?) for his company email and we were recommended this package. I'm hoping to keep acer aspire email for me and let him have full use of evolution.
    Hopefully this'll work, but i'm a linux newbie, so it's all new (and good fun) to me.

SnowboardVicky, Sep 14, 2008
  4. rjm

zaphod

I use IMAP and I couldn't get Acer One mail to "see" the sub-directories of my inbox. That is the only reason I switched to Thunderbird.

zaphod, Sep 14, 2008
  5. rjm

JimK

My question is, why did Acer bother to make its own e-mail, IM client, calendar, photo organizer etc. when there are so many other good, open source choices available? Seems like a waste of development time to me.

JimK, Sep 14, 2008
  6. rjm

palingenesis

i used Acer mail...for five minutes! it couldnt even sync what mail i had read on my imap accounts. good job!

im just used to thunderbird anyway, you can customize it and add things...it's just better

palingenesis, Sep 14, 2008
  7. rjm

annafil

JimK: because they are extremely lightweight. Also, the Acer IM client in particular is the ONLY linux IM client to support video/audio protocols for googletalk, yahoo and MSN. That's a big deal. I have half a mind to port it to other distros I like it that much.

annafil, Sep 14, 2008
  8. rjm

A_I

It sucks on IMAP issues sometimes, but from other perspectives it is quite good I would say.

A_I, Sep 14, 2008
  9. rjm

Silversmith

I'd love to use AA1's email and messenger. I just can't get it to pull my gmail account or my google talk. Anyone else having trouble with this? I keep getting an error message that the server cannot be reached.

Silversmith, Sep 19, 2008
  10. rjm

kevin

There's nothing wrong with the Acer mail app, but I ditched it in favour of Thunderbird because

1. Thunderbird address books can be synced with other things (e.g., Google Mail)
    2. I like the Lightning calendar/task plugin, which can also be synced easily (e.g., Google Calendar).

Also, I'm not sure how effective Acer's spam filtering is. I've got used to the way spam filtering works in Thunderbird

kevin, Sep 19, 2008
  11. rjm

linker3000

Acer's Mail App is good* - but it needs some improvement:

1) Printing support

2) Better IMAP support

3) Better error handling - I mistyped an address and didn't notice. When the mail wouldn't go, Acer Mail reported this as a 'network instability' and had me checking my network and wifi settings for 20 mins.

4) In the case of 3) above, sending the 'faulty' email resulted in a duplicate being created in the outbox (or drafts) and the original stayed in place but with no body text.

*Edit: 23 Sep 2008: Aspire One Mail has taken to regularly refusing to send mail due to a 'network instability', yet if I copy and paste the message into Thunderbird it goes fine - something's definitely not right with the app. and I may switch to Thunderbird permanently.

Edit: 23 Sep 2008 (Again): BAH - just discovered that my main mail account settings had 'The server requires authentication' unticked - dunno whether I did this or it happened spuriously. Ticking the box has made email work again so "network instability" = "Invalid password" or "password required"....who knew!?

linker3000, Sep 20, 2008
  12. rjm

Reno

Aspire One Mail quite picking up my mail from server for some reason and I couldn't get it to work again. Also I never could click on a link in a message and go to it. I removed Mail and downloaded Thunderbird from add/remove programs............much better now!

Reno, Sep 21, 2008
  13. rjm

Fuerst

honestly, I quite like that little programme. it is simple but works fine and it's fast, and I haven't found any of the glitches some of you may have come across with it.

Fuerst, Sep 24, 2008
  14. rjm

colin

Re: Acer One Mail : network instability

My wife would prefer to use OneMail - seems like a nice little app. However:

After working fine for a few days it now refuses to receive mail, saying
    "Login failed due to network instability."

The A1 can surf and pull webmail (thus this is not a LAN problem).
    OneMail sends mail perfectly.
    It will not let me create a new account. When it checks the account setup it fails saying:
    "unable to access server. Check server name" etc.

I have googled the error message without success, upgraded, checked settings, tried options, everything works fine on other machines.

Please help.

colin, Oct 21, 2008
  15. rjm

Darryl

Weird...
    I have 3 accounts filtering to the client, one of which is gmail, and i imported my contacts. No bother at all IT WORKS

Darryl, Oct 21, 2008
  16. rjm

colin

I think the problem in my previous post is related to the Linpus Java runtime, IcedTea. I installed Java jre 1.6 but I suspect there are some dependencies between IcedTea and OneMail. [Thoughtless programming by someone at Acer?] I need a way to switch between jre 1.6 (for online banking) and IceTea (for OneMail).

Any suggestions (ie, a script)?

colin, Oct 23, 2008
  17. rjm

joe.pelayo

While not my main Mail Client (I use Evolution in my main laptop) I use Acer One Mail. Granted it is very basic but it is useful to write 'offline' emails and send them as a bunch, plus I love the fact that a tray notification is issued after a mail is received (other clients I know do this only if they were launched before).

As for the other programs I use them too: I found that the Calendar can import ics files so porting my calendars from Evolution to there is not a problem :D , granted, it's very basic too, but as my friends say, my One is like a big Palm, so it is fine with that software. The only complain I have for the MSN program is the fact that 'invisible mode' does not always work, letting others to see me while online.

Thanks.
    Joe.

joe.pelayo, Oct 23, 2008
  18. rjm

cybergal

Has anyone found a way to print emails? No print option under File and Ctrl+P doesn't work. Also, links go nowhere and cannot be pasted into the browser.
    TIA

cybergal, Nov 14, 2008
  19. rjm

rbil

I have no problem pasting links from an email into the browser. Highlight the line in the email and paste it into the browser.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 14, 2008
  20. rjm

rbil

Did you follow macles* instructions as regards to making Sun Java the default Java? Still doesn't work with OneMail?

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/09/inst ... e-one.html

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 14, 2008
Ask a Question