Acer Mail not opening and/or not working at all

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mofozombie81, Jan 23, 2009.

1. mofozombie81

mofozombie81

HI there,

I'm having trouble opening 'Mail' on my Aspire One. When I click on the desktop icon I get the cursor loading symbol but then nothing happens. I tried installing 'Thunderbird' which I believe was successful but that also does the same thing. A long time after, the 'Mail' window will suddenly come up but doesn't work. And while it's happy to minimise, it doesn't want to close down.
    I'm also having the same problem with the 'Contacts' application. Given that the two are linked I'm not surprised. However, these are the only two programmes playing up, all the rest are working perfectly.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

mofozombie81, Jan 23, 2009
  2. mofozombie81

daldred

Other people have reported this sort of behaviour from the Acer email clinet, and often it seem to be due to some of the Firefox libraries getting lost - have you perhaps upgraded to Firefox 3 and removed FF2?

To get more information about what's going on, please open a terminal and launch the application from there - the command is "AIM". It should then dump error messages to the terminal - copy and paste them into this forum and we'll see what they are saying.

daldred, Jan 23, 2009
  3. mofozombie81

mofozombie81

I haven't recently installed a Firefox update, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.
    I have now got Thunderbird working, which I'm finding superior to Acer's Mail so I'm happy with that, but it would be nice to know what's gone wrong with Mail.

I'm a complete Linux novice mind, so I'm not exactly sure how to run an application using terminal. What exactly do I have to type in the terminal window?
    Thanks for the help.

mofozombie81, Jan 24, 2009
  4. mofozombie81

daldred

In the terminal window, just type AME. All capitals!

You are then likely to get error messages coming up in the terminal - select them using the mouse (as in any text editor or word processor) and use CTRL-SHFT-C to copy. Then you can paste the errors into a message here.

daldred, Jan 24, 2009
  5. mofozombie81

calvin141170

Same thing happening to me.

I upgraded to Firefox3 using the Acer provided .sh file here: http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/f ... t.html#004

Think it used to work fine after the upgrade, (can't be sure, as I rarely open the mail client/contacts on the AA1) but something has happened since (maybe I messed something up playing around in the package manager?

Anyway, error in the terminal window is as follows:

/usr/acer/bin/AMEbin: error while loading shared libraries: libxpcom_core.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is there a relatively straightforward way to replace this library so that everything works again? I know I don't use it, but would prefer it to work all the same.

Cheers,

Calvin!

calvin141170, Jan 25, 2009
  6. mofozombie81

daldred

I believe the problem here is that the Firefox 2 installation upon which AcerMail etc rely has been damaged or removed. To check this, see if there are any .so files in /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14/ (either via the terminal or by pasting that address into the address bar of MyFiles.

If not, does the directory itself still exist?

One option would be for me to put the files into a tarball and mail them to you (or pehaps put them on some webspace) so that they could be reinstated. I think I found a site a week or two ago where someone had done just that, but I can't re-find it now :-(

daldred, Jan 25, 2009
  7. mofozombie81

55North

Nice to know I'm no alone in my trials, having downloaded a wad of updates and Firefox 3. Which is the culprit, and would it benefit me to know which?

As I'm not too clever in understanding most quasi-technical discussions / work-arounds, I guess it'll have to be Thunderbird, then. :cry:

What's it like? Better than One Mail?

55North, Jan 25, 2009
  8. mofozombie81

daldred

Thunderbird is better than One Mail like a computer is better than a sliderule.

For those who would like to try the 'replacing the libraries' route, I've started putting some Aspire One stuff on my webspace here, starting with a way of doing this. Someone test it for me!

daldred, Jan 25, 2009
  9. mofozombie81

R3DH3AD

Hi everyone. I followed the instructions from above and here is the output from my Terminal
    /usr/acer/bin/AMEbin: error while loading shared libraries: libxpcom_core.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    If any one could let me know how to fix this it would be great.

R3DH3AD, Mar 11, 2009
  10. mofozombie81

R3DH3AD

daldred, Followed your instructions and worked If I run the program from the terminal manually. If I click the Icon still nothing happens. Once I reset the PC all the files are removed that were replaced by your instructions and I have to replace them again to open the program. Also when you try to read an email the program closes it's self down. here is the terminal input and output from you instructions in case you need in. If you want me to try and thing else let me know. I really appriciate all your efforts.

R3dh3ad

here is a dump of what shows when run the AME from terminal after replacing the files.

R3DH3AD, Mar 11, 2009
  11. mofozombie81

daldred

I've found this site, - look for 'sqlite' on that page and you'll find you're not alone. There's a package of Firefox2 libraries there which seems to ave sorted some issues out: perhaps give that a go?

daldred, Mar 11, 2009
  12. mofozombie81

R3DH3AD

Daldred, thanks for the link. I tried this and now when I try to open the program still nothing. When I try to open the Terminal with the AME command I now get a message saying it does not exist. does anyone know where I can get the Acer One Mail application from so I can reinstall it. Thanks for everyone's efforts.

R3DH3AD, Mar 17, 2009
Ask a Question