Acer Aspire One ZG5 boot problem

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by themachine, Feb 24, 2012.

1. themachine

themachine

Firstly if this is the wrong section please feel free to move.

Having a problem with a machine I bought pre-owned not so long ago.

The machine powers on and will go the Acer screen were it says F2 set up and F12 boot thingy but straight after that it go's to a black screen with a flashing white cursor in the top left hand-side and stays there.

Few things I've tried, f8 on start up to try and boot safe mode, f8 not working at all dose nothing.

Alt & F10 to run recovery, again this dose nothing at all.

Ran the BIOS to see if recovery was enabled and it was, also checked boot order and everything seems in check.

Computer come with 2cds, both scratched quite badly and I'm a little unsure what they're actually are.

CD 1) System CD rev2.0, for NAND flash module only

CD 2) Rev2.0 Microsoft windws XP home edition SP3

Please note, the computer in questions dose not have a CD drive so unable to put CD directly in.

Any help with this greatly appreciated.

themachine, Feb 24, 2012
  2. themachine

nestone

When you log into the BIOS, can you "see" the hard drive? Sounds like you hard drive has died.

nestone, Feb 24, 2012
  3. themachine

themachine

When in the BIOS under information it says HDD modle name P-SSD1800, HDD Serial Number 0208303014573, I'm guessing that means I can see it right?

themachine, Feb 24, 2012
  4. themachine

nestone

One

True, but that doesn't mean the HD isn't bad. As you can't get to a system restore, it makes me think there is a problem with the HD. One way to know for sure is to open up the netbook and pull the HD and use a SATA USB case and hook it up to another computer and see if you can read the files.
    One other thing you might try is to remove the battery and AC adapter and then hold down the "on" button for more than 10 seconds. Then reconnect the battery and hit the on button once more.
    Good luck

nestone, Feb 24, 2012
Ask a Question