Acer Aspire One RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ricardo, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ricardo

Davidcowling

Re: Ram upgrade

didn't say it didn't work full stop?!

just, that more people have had problems with the faster 667mhz memory!
    ill stay safe and go with the slightly slower stuff.

THIS IS SPARTA!!! 300th post

Davidcowling, Aug 6, 2008
  2. ricardo

glibdud

I'm not convinced that's true. I just ran through the "What Works, What Doesn't" thread. Here's what I counted:

Reports of 667MHz working: 13
    Reports of 533MHz working: 5

Reports of 667MHz not working: 1*
    Reports of 533MHz not working: 1

So where are all these people who are having trouble with 667?

I'm all for your right to choose to reduce risk however you want, I just don't want misinformation spreading based on faulty assumptions.

(* Two different people reported success with the same model of 667MHz RAM that was reported by another as not working, so it could have been a single faulty chip or a bad install.)

glibdud, Aug 6, 2008
  3. ricardo

osdude

me, I had problems with a 667 Corsair and PNY

osdude, Aug 6, 2008
  4. ricardo

glibdud

Is that in addition to the 533 PNY you reported "mixed results" with? Sounds like you have some serious bad luck...

If you wouldn't mind, it would be helpful to add those to the other thread.

glibdud, Aug 6, 2008
  5. ricardo

osdude

i started a whole thread about the PNY but it was locked. Every PNY I've tried is not 'working'. It's not that it doesn't run, because it does, but because it's causing other memory problems, some of which i can recreate now.

osdude, Aug 7, 2008
  6. ricardo

mchipser

You can upgrade the Ram in the AOA110 / AOA150 to 1.5GB there is 512MB on board and up-to 1GB of added RAM from the user..

mchipser, Aug 7, 2008
  7. ricardo

Davidcowling

out with the facts then

does the slot in the A1 support 667mhz or not? or is it just a matter of getting compatible ram recommended by acer?

Davidcowling, Aug 7, 2008
  8. ricardo

janss

Well it's just not that simple.
    Some work, some don't, something works for someone and not for other one.

At this point I recommend to check the what works what doesn't thread to see what DIMM's have successfully been installed in the One.

janss, Aug 7, 2008
  9. ricardo

glibdud

It doesn't really need to "support" 667MHz. I'm not a RAM guru, but this is the way I understand it:

The speed given to RAM is the maximum speed at which it's rated to run stably. It can run slower than that just fine with appropriate timings, which are stored in a chip on the module. The BIOS reads that chip, picks its favorite speed, and uses the timings suggested by the RAM for that speed.

Regardless of speed, not every stick will work with every motherboard. That's why mobo/laptop manufacturers put out lists of recommended memory; memory that they've tested and concluded to be fully working.

So... the safest way to do it is to use only memory recommended by the manufacturer (which can be difficult if the manufacturer doesn't recommend that you upgrade the RAM in the first place). Next safest is to use memory that someone else has used successfully. If you don't like any of those, just pick something that meets the machines specs (DDR2 SO-DIMM, 533MHz or higher, up to 1GB) and hold your breath.

glibdud, Aug 7, 2008
  10. ricardo

glibdud

You've tried PNY and Corsair... did the Corsair behave the same, or something different? Have you found anything that works for you yet? If not, I'd suspect something wrong with the board or connector.

glibdud, Aug 7, 2008
  11. ricardo

osdude

Buffalo RAM seems to be working, for now. No idea the Model#, it was given to me from a pull. If I still don't have any problems in 3 days, I'm going to think it's OK

osdude, Aug 8, 2008
  12. ricardo

fairylantern

Can anyone help me? I upgraded the memory and now the fan sounds really loud. Is there a screw that would affect the fans volume? Thanks

fairylantern, Aug 9, 2008
  13. ricardo

eek

MESSED UP SCREW HEAD!!!

2 little screws have been my nightmare since last night!

One of the three under the battery -Little black one on the left. (Too tight - messed up)

Under the keyboard -the shiny one on the rightmost. (Different head)

Messed up the black one :((( The screwdriver wont pick it up anymore. Don't know what to do please advise...

Shiny one under keyboard: This is a different, new screwdriver needed.

Any help on how to remove the messed up screw will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!

eek, Aug 9, 2008
  14. ricardo

unkn0vvn_al

does anybody knows if a PC2-6400 ram would work.. I have a spare one that I have taken out of my iMac and wants to test it to my a-one, but Im a little concern that it will not work and will cause some issues to other hardware...

unkn0vvn_al, Aug 9, 2008
  15. ricardo

bgeery

bgeery, Aug 10, 2008
  16. ricardo

Davidcowling

check the what works what doesnt thread

Davidcowling, Aug 12, 2008
  17. ricardo

Spire

:idea:
    Before and after the ram upgarde use the Sisoft Sandra (the System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant) ram test and benchmark tool and write down the results. Adding crappy or incompatible RAM modul you can easly get worst performance than using the original 512mb only. :lol:

Spire, Aug 12, 2008
  18. ricardo

osdude

I ordered mine from Crucial. After spending about $100US on RAM that was supposed to work, I'm more than willing to pay a little more for something guaranteed to work.

osdude, Aug 12, 2008
  19. ricardo

iMav

Just wanted to chime in and say I successfully upgraded my AA1 (linux version, originally with 512MB ram and 8GB SSD) to 1.5GB ram a few days ago. I had two 1GB memory modules available from recently upgrading a macbook from 2GB to 4GB. The specific RAM is Nanya PC2-5300 (667Mhz) 1GB sodimm. (this is at least one brand of ram that Apple is currently putting in the black macbooks)

tnkgrl's video was quite helpful. I've thought about doing the pata hdd mod as well...but I'm not sure I'll need the extra space (and the speed is fine for me even though I know that SSD is pretty darned slow). When mobile, I live pretty much "in the cloud", so I don't keep a lot of data local.

Also wanted to mention that I removed the swap partition and resized my primary partition. (also, I am running Ubuntu)

iMav, Aug 17, 2008
  20. ricardo

jfischer

I just put in 1GB of Kingston DDR2 PC2-5300 RAM from Circuit City - on sale this week for $27.99. I used the step-by-step instructions here and it went just fine. The memory is working fine so far. I was hoping against hope that the XP versions had 1GB on board, leaving the slot open for another 1GB but no such luck :)

I have the XP version of the Aspire One, and I just wiped XP out and put Vista Business on the 150. Vista runs very well on this little box, and the power management actually seems better than XP. I have Vista on my older IBM X40 laptop (1.4GHZ Mobile Pentium with 1.25GB RAM), and the One absolutely kills the IBM in performance.

I read a previous poster that said it took him 4 hours to install XP on the SSD model. I put Vista on an el-cheapo 8GB USB thumb stick and it installed in about 15 minutes (of course I have a mechanical drive in this XP model).

jfischer, Aug 19, 2008
Ask a Question