Acer Aspire One RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ricardo, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ricardo

lotus49

Re: Ram upgrade

It seems almost certain that this is a hardware issue if it worked before you started taking it apart. My guess is that despite trying repeatedly, you simply haven't attached the cable properly. Are you absolutely sure that you lifted up the locking bit on the ZIF connector? These often don't stay up after you have removed the cable so make absolutely sure that you lifted it up before inserting the ribbon cable and make sure that the cable is pushed all the way in. Once you think it's in properly, give it a gentle tug, if it comes out, it wasn't fixed in properly ;) .

It seems very unlikely that this is software-related given the sequence of events.

lotus49, Jul 16, 2008
  2. ricardo

bb320

I would check the wire again. i'm no linux expert but the touch pad should work like a serial mouse.

If you have issue with that then it means that it was undetectable...

make sure the cable is not scratched. you can lift up the lock where the cable is connected and then lock it down. My friend actually managed to pull the cable out without unlocking so check that out.

bb320, Jul 18, 2008
  3. ricardo

aos

Unfortunately it doesn't look like every RAM works. I tried Patriot PSD21G6672S which is 1G PC2-5300 667MHz CL5 module. A1 does NOT post with this stick inserted.

aos, Jul 20, 2008
  4. ricardo

pinchez

Just upgraded the ram in my One to 1.5GB using this ram "Dane-Elec Premium Laptop Memory - SO-DIMM DDR2 667Mhz (PC2-5300) - 1GB" can confirm it works fine and only cost me £13.50 :)

pinchez, Jul 20, 2008
  5. ricardo

aos

I got another stick, a Kingston 512MB 533MHz for only $10. This one works fine.

aos, Jul 21, 2008
  6. ricardo

remi.rez

Hi guys,
    thanks for all your answers regarding the touchpad.
    After returning it to the shop where I bought it, it appears the mousepad was faulty (I never tried it before trying to add RAM).
    I'm gonna try to get my hands on the elusive 901 instead.
    Cheers.

remi.rez, Jul 21, 2008
  7. ricardo

rcalderero

Hi All!

First of all. Sorry for my english (i´m spanish).
    I updated ram to 1,5 GB. No problem with ram (it was 1gb ddr2 533). But i have a big problem with touchpad. The problem is that the touchpad is not working (more and less). Like remi.rez (see down).
    In my particular case i did hundreds of test, and i saw that: if i quit the keyboard, the touchpad works fine. without touch the touchpad, when i plug the keyboard, the touchpad stop working (without touch the touchpad). and when i plug the keyboard again, the touchpad stop working again (without touch the touchpad.

Any idea would very very appreciate.

I have readed people with similar problems. Any solution or idea?

THX

---------------------------------

* Report this post

Postby remi.rez on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:48 am
    Hi all, I'm a newbie here. Happy owner of a EEE 701 ans ince last night an Aspire One.
    As most you have done or will do, the first thing I wanted to do was to upgrade the RAM. I followed the guide and struggled a bit but eventually managed to get to the DIMM slot and add 1Gb.
    After screwing eveything back together, the Touchpad doesn't work anymore. I've fiddled witht he ribbon a hundred times to make sure it was into place but without any success.
    Ehen I plug a usb mouse, it work without problem , the keyboard and Wifi work, the SSD works, the monitor works. Only the touchpad and its buttons give me grief.
    Using the usb mouse I went into Linpus settings to try and acces the Touchpad settings but it came up with an error message telling me that some line in the xorg.conf file had to be set to true. I checked the said file and it is set tot true.
    I don't really know what to do?

Could it be Linpus problem, would it be solved once I install Win XP? Is it a hardware problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    -------------------------------

rcalderero, Jul 22, 2008
  8. ricardo

shane3107

Great guide. Thanks for the info.

I am really stuck with the keyboard however. :(

It doesn't matter what I do, I just can't work out what to do with the clips. I have undone all the screws but the bastard flathead screwdriver will not hook onto the hook for the keyboard holder above F8.

Any other tips? I am really concerened about damaging the keyboard or the laptop itself.

Thanks

shane3107, Jul 24, 2008
  9. ricardo

gerarddelafas

Hi, I've a Ramaxel 512MB 2Rx16 PC2-4200S-444 LF 533MHz DDR2 SODIMM (#RMN1270LA46D6F-533)
    just like this: [​IMG]

I also have a Kingston 2GB SO-DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 (RMN2-667/2G).

Do Acer One supports one of there memories? Are they compatible? If yes, I'll upgrade my Acer next week...

Thanks

gerarddelafas, Jul 24, 2008
  10. ricardo

Guest Guest

Guest, Jul 25, 2008
  11. ricardo

popol55

Acer doen't support 2GB memory stick :evil:

popol55, Jul 25, 2008
  12. ricardo

rory

Just upgraded my RAM to 1.5GB. I tried to do it before work, but it wasn't recognised. Retried tonight and it works perfectly. It just wasn't pushed in properly. Windows reports 1524 MB RAM and BIOS reports 1536MB.
    But upgrading that has proved to me how slow the stupid SSD is. I opened resource monitor from task manager, and it showed CPU wasn't at max, RAM was at about a third, and disk was amazingly slow, the max of the graph was at 100KBps. And thats with me installing Windows Live Messenger.
    That's why my ZIf drive will be arriving sometime this week. :)
    Rory

rory, Jul 26, 2008
  13. ricardo

janss

Just upgraded my RAM to 1,5 gigs on friday with Buffalo D2N533B-1GA memory upgrade and can confirn it to work prefectly on the One. also the guy in the store told me that Acer often uses Buffalo as a factory default, so it should be a safe bet with Acers in general :cool:

I also disabled the 1 gig swap-partition and merged it with the main partition to get the full 8 gig capasity and to prevent unneeded ssd wear-out for using swap. I haven't had one glitch on my computer after disabling the swap. After the memory upgrade the swap is basically unneeded for a light netbook system and can be removed.

At the moment I have 1,1 gigs of memory free while running firefox3 on multiple windows and couple of terminals :D

janss, Jul 27, 2008
  14. ricardo

Sid

Would you like to let people know how you disabled the swap ?

I am sure that there will be people (me) who would like to know how to do this.
    What are the implications of doing so?

TIA

Sid, Jul 27, 2008
  15. ricardo

Kermit

I take a 1GB AENEON 667 CL5 Ram into my A1. Works perfect - for now.
    Strange is only the System-Info under Linpus Linux. It tells me i have 2GB Ram! Under Bios all fine (1536MB Ram). Anyone a idea with the info under Linpus?

grüsse from Germany

Kermit

Kermit, Jul 27, 2008
  16. ricardo

janss

Disabling the swap itself is done by giving the command (as root naturallu)

Code:
    swapoff /dev/sda2
    You can check which partition your swap is (mine was sda2) by commanding

Code:
    fdisk -l
    The swapoff command only disables the swap, so then you can "test drive" your system for a while to see if you run in to any problems. The /etc/fstab file is configured to automatically assign swap on each boot-up, to disable this, just open the /etc/fstab -file and comment the swap-line to look like this:

Code:
    #/dev/sda2          swap               swap         defaults               0 0
    If you want to remove the swap partition and merge the 1 gig with your sda1 (main partition) you need to remove the sda2 partition and resize sda1.

For this I used System Rescue CD installed on a usb-drive. It is basically a Linux distro that can be run from a cd or usb-stick and comes pre-installed with a bunch of usefol tools to tweak and recover a computer system, in this case the useful part was GParted. You need to start the system to something else than Linpus because these programs can't resize an active partition (as in partition the system is running on currently)

After you've booted to sysresccd, just type 'startx' to start graphics and then type 'gparted' to start the partitioner.
    Delete the swap-partition and resize the main partition to full capasity and that's it. :geek:

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

And a word of caution: Every time you mess with the partition table you risk data-loss and system malfunction. If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it.

And also, DO NOT DISABLE SWAP IF YOU ARE RUNNING A SYSTEM WITH THE BASIC 512 MB RAM!

My One has been on all day and I installed a bunch of software, have multiple programs on at a time and I still have 199 megs of RAM free, so in basic use this system is perfectly capable of runnig without swap if you upgrade to 1,5 gig RAM.

janss, Jul 27, 2008
  17. ricardo

chrcondor

Is it really worth doing all this stuff with dissasambling the whole A110, losing the warranty ...?
    I mean does it boost the performance so much that you can really see it? I want to keep that linpus linux system and I´m not sure if I should do that RAM upgrade. Can somebody tell the experience with 1,5 GB and the Linux system?

chrcondor, Jul 28, 2008
  18. ricardo

janss

Yeah... I'm not actually not sure what that does to the warranty.. There's no seals or anything you usually see when you're not allowed to open a machine up yourself. And being that there's no easier way to upgrade the ram, so in my opinion it'd be a pretty shitty thing to void the warranty for customers who do the upgrade that Acer promotes in adverts and their website (text being maximum memory supported 1.5 GB)...

And to answer your question, I did see a performance boost after the upgrade. And also it enabled me to free the 1 GB swap partition for better use and merge it to the main partition. I think I should call Acer and ask if I just voided my warranty by upgrading the RAM.. :p

janss, Jul 28, 2008
  19. ricardo

Spire

I think doesn't worth it. The Aspire One is very new.... I use xp for internet only and the 512mb is enough for open 10 or more firefox tabs without any problem.
    If you use linux on it, the 512mb is ok.

Spire, Jul 28, 2008
  20. ricardo

janss

That's true, the original setup with Linpus works fine with 512, so you can skip the upgrade if you don't feel you need it.

janss, Jul 28, 2008
Ask a Question