Acer Aspire One RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ricardo, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ricardo

-null-

Re: Ram upgrade

I have a AOA 150-Aw, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD and am wondering how much memory (if any) I can upgrade. Most of the videos and guides feature the AAOs with 512mb RAM soldered onto the main board. Is the 1GB in mine soldered on and therefore upgadable and if so what sized module should I get.

-null-, Mar 26, 2009
  2. ricardo

sdelliott31

Hi all I have the AOA - 150 version with 120 gb hdd, and windows XP. There are quite a few Youtube videos as some have mentioned that describe what to do. I ordered a stick of 1gb Ram and it took me about an hour. I used a phillips screwdriver and a credit card and if you go slow and stay in sync with Youtube video, then you'll get it. Just take your time. I was going to go to Best Buy, but I kept watching the video and thinking I know I can do this.

Best of Luck - Steve

sdelliott31, May 14, 2009
  3. ricardo

sdelliott31

There is a 512 hard ram on the system board that cannot be removed. On the back of the system board there is a removeable 512 which can be maxed out to 1.0 gb. So the max you can have on this is 1.5 gb. Its worth it to get it.

sdelliott31, May 14, 2009
  4. ricardo

sdelliott31

One last think that I learned was after you put your Ram in, you then put your motherboard back in first. In the upper left hand corner (computer facing you) there is a metal lip that the corner of the mobo must slide under, otherwise your power supply will not line up with its hole in the case. I had to go back in tonight and adjust that. However things are running well. Good Luck all.

sdelliott31, May 15, 2009
  5. ricardo

cybershrike

Tried doing the RAM upgrade this afternoon and failed, I had one screw left (the one underneath near the RAM module) and as soon as I tried removing it the damn thing stripped. Tried every single screw driver I've got, then tried getting in with needle nose pliers.

Anyone got any ideas for getting in underneath the motherboard without removing the screw? I tried forcing it open but couldn't get the module lined up

cybershrike, May 25, 2009
  6. ricardo

archer2009

I have two 512MB RAM Modules from my Intel Mac Mini from when I upgraded that says Nanya PC5300

I'm in two minds about upgrading the RAM on my 8GB SSD ACER ONE

I've installed windows XP and on boot I have 160MB of RAM free according to windows.

so an extra 512MB of RAM would really help (especially considering it's here and not being used) - but having seen at least 3 different videos on YouTube of the upgrade process I'm really put off by it.

I've built my own Desktop PC's from scratch and I've never in my entire life seen any computer that was so hard to add RAM to. I think it's great that there's a spare slot but I just don't get ACER's thinking when the RAM Slot is just behind the rear panel, it would have been so easy for them to have built a little trap door to access the RAM Slot. My smaller ASUS EEEPC with a 7 inch screen had a nice trap door and made it so easy to change the RAM, this looks like a nightmare.

So far I've only found video's showing you how to take the machine apart - I've not seen one that shows how hard it is to put back together again.

Also I am thinking if I am going to go to so much effort should I just forget the 512MB modules I already have which is more then enough for my needs and order a 1GB module?

Can anyone also say if they've noticed much of a battery life difference on an SSD ACER? Is battery life the same, better or worse? and if so by how many minutes?

archer2009, Jun 11, 2009
  7. ricardo

-null-

Thanks. I got the RAM and finally got it installed despite problems with a stripped screw.

I followed this video by tnkgirl (http://qik.com/video/161904) and the reassembly one to put it back together. It was actually pretty easy however tnkgirl didn't have the HDD model which requires the daughter board to be removed before you can get the motherboard out (as the HDD is stuck under the daughter board).

-null-, Jun 14, 2009
  8. ricardo

garrettp

Null, good to hear you got it working. I just noticed your post as was going to tell you to be extremely careful when bending a PCB board. These boards have multi layers and even though you can get a lot of bend out of them, you shouldn't ;)

Glad it all worked out for you and tnkgrl is awesome. Like many people, I first used her video to take my AA1 apart.

garrettp, Jun 14, 2009
  9. ricardo

diggy77

Sorry I don't know about it but i have seen that one has to face the problem with Acer aspire laptop regarding memory.

diggy77, Jun 15, 2009
  10. ricardo

Cisco KId

Hey guys first post so be easy on me lol. I have a Canadian version Aspire One AOD150 3 cell, it has 160gb drive and 1gb memory. I bought a 2gb Crucial stick to replace the single slot memory module installed which is 1gb. Well I installed the memory making sure I seated it correctly but no luck when I powered it on this particular Crucial does not appear compatible I removed it and inserted a 2GB Crucial module PC5300 667mhz but not luck when I went to power the netbook on and it is rated CL5.
    http://www.kombitz.com/2009/05/07/how-t ... ne-aod150/

I am choked I wished I would have tested prior to buying now I have to resell on craigslist and find something compatible, anyone done this upgrade that can advise on a working 2GB module?

Cisco KId, Jul 23, 2009
  11. ricardo

captsteve

hi guys. i own a AOA-150-1570 which i love. one sunday with too much time on my hands i watched the youtube video about the RAM upgrade. yes it is a bit difficult but i managed without breaking anything. booted up and the memory was recognised (1.5gb). unfortunately, the screen is now skewed to the left with a large black bar to the right, and the "desktop" wraps around and top of the screen starts again on the bottom. ie the mouse will move around like when you have 2 monitors. i used a stick of samsung ddr pc2-5300. played around with resolution settings to no avail. reinstalled the original 512 stick. same problem. thinking i corrupted the graphics card i tried an uninstall/reboot/autoreinstall but still no luck. next i checked for a new bios. there was a newer version 3310. flash successful but no change. next i tried a reinstall of the OS (winXP) no change. checked "windows update" for any hardware update related to graphic. none available. i am sure that i inserted the monitor plug tightly. i wonder if maybe i need to clear the CMOS (which i dont know how to do, except to remove the RTC battery) but wouldnt installing the latest BIOS clear it anyway?

any ideas would be appreciated. a $300 netbook isnt worth too much time in the shop if any.

thanx steve wilson cincinnati ohio

captsteve, Oct 18, 2009
  12. ricardo

cmeide

I have read about people having similar issues as you and it appears it has always been the lcd screen cable in some way or another.

cmeide, Oct 25, 2009
  13. ricardo

Bossy45

Today i get a 1024 MB Memory Module from Ebay for 6 € (including shippment).

The Sticker shows:

Nanya 1Gb 2Rx16 PC2-6400s-666-13-A2.800

NT1GT64UH8C0FN-AD.

I found some Data by Nanya via google:

Nanya RAM Spec PDF

The question is, will it work with Acer AOA150?

Greets

Bossy45

Bossy45, Dec 13, 2009
  14. ricardo

Bossy45

I just upgraded my AOA with the Ram noted above. Ram works. But the boot process seem to be little slower now. :(

Greets

Bossy45

Bossy45, Dec 20, 2009
  15. ricardo

libssd

I don't want to open a new thread, but has anybody noticed any improvement in video performance after upgrading RAM?

Yesterday, I installed a 2gb Crucial RAM module, and video performance seems much better this morning. I don't know if it's because of more memory, or my ISP (Comcast - yuck) is performing better than usual this morning, or a recent Linux kernel upgrade, but stuttering videos seem to be a thing of the past.

AA1 D250, 32gb SSD, 2gb RAM, Ubuntu 10.04.

Since the upgrade, I've stopped monitoring memory usage!

libssd, Sep 22, 2010
  16. ricardo

shahbaz0345

Sometimes speed slow due to low VGA memory.VGA card should upgrade in this case.

shahbaz0345, Apr 14, 2011
  17. ricardo

pcgeezer

Here's the link to the Service Manual PDF for the Aspire One D255. It's a direct download...

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=we ... 6w&cad=rja

Cheers.

pcgeezer, Aug 17, 2011
Ask a Question