Acer Aspire One RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ricardo, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ricardo

ricardo

I was considering buying the A110L version (with 8GB SSD) and upgrading it's RAM and battery in the future, but according to the italian video showing the dissected Aspire One, the free memory slot is actually unreachable. Since I'm not really an expert in notebooks, does anyone know how difficult it should be to add 1GB extra RAM?

ricardo, Jul 3, 2008
  2. ricardo

lotus49

Re: Ram upgrade

If, as we all hope and expect, there is a free slot it strikes me as very unlikely that you would have to take the machine apart to any great extent. Unfortunately, until they start shipping (which should be very soon) we cannot know for sure.

I think it is fair to say that amongst the small but growing community here, most are intending to upgrade their RAM, I know I am.

In short, it should be easy but until we actually get our machines, we cannot be absolutely sure.

lotus49, Jul 3, 2008
  3. ricardo

glibdud

Some more info just popped up this morning:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=988074&r=15921508#r15921508

"The RAM is not easily user-upgradeable. There's no little hatch on the chassis' underside to make the memory slot accessible (there is a door but that's for dropping a SIM card into the forthcoming 3G HSDPA module, due Q4). So buyers of the Linux model would either have to open the unit to add memory, or send it back to Acer to pay for a memory upgrade. Acer couldn't specify the price of the memory upgrade, nor if the very act of opening the chassis would void the warranty."

There's also some very interesting information in there about the battery.

glibdud, Jul 3, 2008
  4. ricardo

ricardo

Thanks for the answers,

If anyone finds something out, please post it here. The link you posted is very interesting, I'm now wondering if I should wait until october to get one with 6-cell... don't know if in Brazil we will get the option to upgrade the battery later.

ricardo, Jul 3, 2008
  5. ricardo

glibdud

There seems to be a general problem with battery supply these days (see Asus's waffling on providing free upgrades on the EeePC 900 in the UK), so I'm not going to believe it until I see it.

That said, I've been planning on waiting a few months after release anyway just to see what kind of common issues pop up, so this'll be something to keep an eye on, too.

glibdud, Jul 3, 2008
  6. ricardo

freestyle

How much is the ram that fits into one of these?

Wondering whether to get the 512mb and upgrade myself or just grab the 1gb version

freestyle, Jul 3, 2008
  7. ricardo

glibdud

According to this, it takes 533MHz (and above) DDR2. I see a decent 1GB stick of CL4 Corsair RAM (I'm partial to Corsair... there are others a little cheaper) at NewEgg for $22 (+$7 shipping). If you're really feeling cheap, there's a 512MB stick for $13 (also $7 shipping).

glibdud, Jul 3, 2008
  8. ricardo

speedcam

Having seen the pictures of the One being dismantled I'm really struggling to understand the logic behind hinding the spare memory socket. The socket is clearly located on the underside of the motherboard, ideally positioned to allow end users to install additional RAM if an access cover was available. Are we sure that the photo's are not a pre production unit, users attempting to access the socket by dismantling the laptop is going to cause all manor of issues regarding support calls and warranty claims?

speedcam, Jul 7, 2008
  9. ricardo

lotus49

I was surprised by this as well. It seems bizarre to require users to take the motherboard out just to install extra RAM - not something I have seen before and I've seen a lot of laptops.

Nevertheless, it still doesn't look too hard but certainly much more involved that opening a little hatch underneath.

lotus49, Jul 7, 2008
  10. ricardo

dbs

I have an Acer Aspire One 110L (Model No. ZG5) and I can confirm that you can NOT upgrade the RAM in an easy way. The device has a little hatch on the back but removing that won't give you access to the RAM slot, there is just some plastic underneath it. It seems your really need to remove the whole cover which is something I won't do with a brand new device (warranty void I assume).

dbs, Jul 8, 2008
  11. ricardo

onlytrouble

onlytrouble, Jul 9, 2008
  12. ricardo

KiNG

hi there, if you get 667mhz sodimm, it will underclock to the slower speed anyhow, so you can't go wrong

KiNG, Jul 9, 2008
  13. ricardo

onlytrouble

Thanks King, but I'm more concerned abt the pc4200, pc 5400 etc. types...

onlytrouble, Jul 9, 2008
  14. ricardo

Duke

:cry:

Duke, Jul 9, 2008
  15. ricardo

KiNG

you have to take apart the laptop and there is a spare sodimm sold underneath the mainboard were you can add too.
    the ddr2 ram on the top is solidered in.

pc5300 = 667mhz ram

KiNG, Jul 9, 2008
  16. ricardo

Duke

Ok, didn't know that.

Duke, Jul 10, 2008
  17. ricardo

glibdud

glibdud, Jul 10, 2008
  18. ricardo

oui

does anyone know how to take out the keyboard? or have service manual?

oui, Jul 10, 2008
  19. ricardo

dbs

There are three black clips at the top of the keyboard which you can press back with a small screwdriver (be careful not to break them). You have to find one that doesn't slide back at once and allow you to lift the keyboard a little bit so that you can proceed with the remaining two. It's not an easy process to replace the memory as you have to disassemble the whole device and disconnect a lot of cables. You also need to remove all screws from the back, including the ones below the battery and those below the little rubber pads.

dbs, Jul 10, 2008
  20. ricardo

Flaterik

Hi, i'm an Italian Boy that work at PC Shop and assistance. We have just installed the ddrII ram and the AONE work perfectly. Now i'm installing windows in a 512mb version. If anyone want to do this, there's a two screw under the rear rubber feet.

Flaterik, Jul 10, 2008
Ask a Question