Acer Aspire One Compatible LCD Screens?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Tony_hughes, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Tony_hughes

Tony_hughes

Hey all,

I currently have an Acer Aspire One AOA150 which has complete working internals but a cracked LCD screen. I just installed windows 8 viewing the screen via VGA and I plan on turning everything into a tablet. I have seen the many solder less touchscreen kits available and plan to use one but here's my question. I would like to use an LCD screen larger than the 8.9 in stock replacement but is this even possible? I would believe that a larger screen from another acer model may have the same connection to the motherboard as mine but I am not sure. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

Tony_hughes, Apr 1, 2013
  2. Tony_hughes

Tony_hughes

Research:

I currently have:
    -Acer Aspire One AOA-150 everything minus the screen
    -running Windows 8
    -120gb HDD
    -1, soon to be 1.5 GB Ram
    -Intel Atom 1.66ghz

My project with this netbook is to turn it into a touchscreen tablet. My ultimate fallback option is to buy a replacement 8.9in screen and add a solderless touchscreen kit overlay then build a custom case for everything.

I want to know if their are any other options as far as LCD screens that may be compatible with the onboard Intel R 945gme express chipset video card.

My preference would be to use the 10.1 inch screen found on other Acer Netbooks but I do not know if they are compatible.

This is what I know so far through research.
    -Stock Screen Replacement Size: 8.9"
    -Stock Screen Replacement Resolution: WSVGA 1024X600
    -Backlight Illumination: LED - 40 Pin
    -The connector cable from the motherboard to the screen is the ZG3 LCD cable part number: DDOZG5TH100

AAO D250 Series 10.1in screen
    -10.1 inch widescreen (8.74x4.92)
    -WSVGA (1024x600)
    -40 pin LED socket

Looking at the specs I would assume it would work. Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. I have been working hard on this project and I would hate to let my lack of patience result in a smaller screen.

Tony_hughes, Apr 2, 2013
  3. Tony_hughes

Nestone50

Not sure what you mean by "custom case." However, I can tell you I have both an AOA-150 and a 532h Acer netbook. The 532h has the 10.1 inch screen. Placing them side by side, I can see there is no way the 10.1 screen would fit within the 8.9 inch bezel on the AOA-150. You can get a higher screen resolution for the AOA-150 beyond the 1024x600 via an edit to the registry. How to do that can be found here:
    http://www.hipatic.com/2012/10/windows-8-on-4-year-old-acer-aspire-aoa.html

Nestone50, Apr 2, 2013
  4. Tony_hughes

Tony_hughes

Thanks for the tips. I should clarify a little further, on my workbench sits the internals from the AOA-150, no case no resemblance to a laptop of any kind it is simply all the guts. I plan to make a fiberglass case to encompass everything as well as create a custom bezel for the screen which will screw together to resemble a thick tablet. The screen will be touch as I plan to use it strictly as a tablet. After further research I believe I have found two options. #1 Use the 10.1 inch WSVGA screen as it uses the same flex cable to receive video from the motherboard. #2 My personal favorite. Use the 11.6 inch WXGA screen used by the Acer AO 751h series. The Flex cable DD0ZA3LC100 for the 11.6in display is a 40 pin connector which appears identical to the flex cable that comes stock. I also compared the intel graphics chipsets that come with the AOA-150 (GMA 950) and 751h (GMA 500) and they are very close in specs except for 3D shading. The 11.6in screen has a resolution of 1366x768 compared to the 8.9in 1024x600 but according to the GMA 950 specs the resolution should be supported. I read ACER used WXGA screens on several different models instead of the WSVGA and this was done without any modification besides the screen bezel. Does anyone know if this would be an issue or not?

Tony_hughes, Apr 2, 2013
Ask a Question